Brookbank as RW...

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Can anyone explain this to me? I missed this weekend's games due to vacation, but I thought that Morin was looking decent. Certainly no reason to play Brookbank out of position in a role for which he's really not suited. Is this Q just being Q, or is there something more to this?

Nothingman*

Q being Q I guess. There has really been no explanation other than something about his defense.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Q's keeping him fresh, is the word.

Probably giving Morin more practice time with the big club to learn the system, and the defensive side of the game. That's the only reason I can see, since they haven't sent him back down.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
All I have to say is ENOUGH of this **** get a real winger in there.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Just like he did with Pirri, Q wants Morin to earn his spot in practice and not have it handed it to him. I see nothing wrong with that. Brookbank is just a fill in, he only played 6:47 last night.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
because its just killing the team right now...:sarcasm:

seriously though, he's trying to keep Brookbank fresh while worky Rozy into the lineup, its not hard to figure out. You guys are running out of things to ***** about.

Team has take 13 of the last 14 points...gotta find something to ***** about.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Just like he did with Pirri, Q wants Morin to earn his spot in practice and not have it handed it to him. I see nothing wrong with that. Brookbank is just a fill in, he only played 6:47 last night.

I completely agree with this. Q is giving nothing to these young guys, they have to earn it. To this point these guys were stars their whole lives. Here they are just another young player, and hard work and actually correcting bad play and listening to coaching is what earns you ice time. Brookbank might be busting his arse in practice and Morin might be doing the same mistakes over snd over in spite of being told what to do. It is only temporary with Brookbank, we are winning. We are scoring 5 goals it seems like every game. Q can do what he wants with these young guys to get the message across as long as they are ready to contribute playoff time.

Some guys think the only way you learn is to play through mistakes. We are in the business of winning, and if these guys are not doing what they are told the message at this rookie stage is you are no longer a minor league star, you are in the big leagues. You listen and execute or you sit. You work hard and be ready ehen called upon. When call upon you deliver. Tough love, and I have no problem with this when you look at what our record is.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
So we have Brookbank on wing where he contributes no offense nor defense because everytime he forechecks he gets caught behind the play.

Since Morin has to earn his ice, exactly what has Brookbank done to earn his ice, at RW?

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Q-vs-Mankind-q-star-trek-12045646-640-614.jpg

Last edited:

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
We don't know what is happening in practice or behind the scenes. Its hard to argue too much when we keep winning. I am sure Morin will get his chance.

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
Coaches do coach-y things. Fortunately it seems Q is still much more intelligent than most NHL coaches in other areas.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Its hard to complain when we are scoring so many goals and winning so much. We have scored 4 or more goals 8 times, 5 or more 6. We have scored at leadt 2 goals every game this season. Q is looking for answers on defense and PK.

MTP

I Love Shinpads
Jan 19, 2010
Downers Grove, IL
Not complaining about it at all, it's opening up some more ice time for guys like Kane and Shaw while Morin gets used to the big club.

moose vasko

Mar 3, 2011
Both Handzus and Mills will be back at some point (Kostka too) so this is still about 4-5 guys going for 2-3 jobs. If any of the new guys has earned a job it should be Smith. Q likes him with 16/52 but he could be good with 29/65 as well. Q trusts Handzus so he will get a spot. That leaves Morin and Mills fighting it out for the last spot if we only carry 13 forwards and we still need help on the PK which favors Mills. Maybe Morin gets back in next game if Rozy is hurt and Brookbank goes back to defense, but the numbers are working against him (and he has actually played pretty well).

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
While I would definitely like to see Morin play, Brookbank has played well in the swing role.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
He's been pretty vanilla as a 3rd line RW. He's contributing nothing, but he's also not actively hurting anything.

It's weird that he's there playing less than 10 minutes instead of a guy who could really use that time like Morin, but it's not a terribly big deal.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Throwing hits and not turning the puck over. Can't expect anything more from a guy like him. The team is winning too and it does give other skilled players more ice time.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
So we have Brookbank on wing where he contributes no offense nor defense because everytime he forechecks he gets caught behind the play.

Since Morin has to earn his ice, exactly what has Brookbank done to earn his ice, at RW?

He's filler. He doesn't need to 'earn' it, he's in a totally different situation than a rookie. Stop being obtuse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad