Brookbank as RW...

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
yes, you do. Lots of teams do it. Gives that extra player practice time to learn the system, etc. Kostka would of had to clear waivers in order to go down. And Brookbank wasn't going down because he's a solid #7 guy that we may need down the road.

With 24 on the roster, it exposed the Hawks to go cap limit if injuries hit. They did so now they are a cap limit team and only taking 21 on the circus road trip.

Kostka was a UFA free agent signing. The Hawks had nothing invested in him so losing him to waivers would not have been a great loss.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I don't think there is a problem. Brookbank can hit and he can shoot, and with so many undersized players and rookies up, I don't think it's a terrible idea to have somebody besides Bollig up front willing to play a nasty game. I would really hate for them to waste a 4th for a Brown or something later in case Bollig goes down.

I can come up with many worse ideas, so I'm pretty comfortable with the experiment

moose vasko

Mar 3, 2011
With 24 on the roster, it exposed the Hawks to go cap limit if injuries hit. They did so now they are a cap limit team and only taking 21 on the circus road trip.

If Hossa doesn't play then both Brookbank and Rozy are in (i.e. we only have 20). I would hope to see Morin or someone else get the call at some point during the trip just so Hossa and/or Rozy can get a day or two off.

SLarmer28*

You don't carry 8th d or a 14th F at all. It is a waste of cap space especially with callups less than a hour away (most of the time). The cap space Q wasted at the beginning of the year is catching up to him now.
Stan Bowman wasted $1.7 million of cap space on a 40 year old Nikolai Khabibulin.

Gurth

Feb 22, 2010
Madison
Sure you can, Morin wasn't very good offensively, and defensively, it's a wash. We don't need the little bit of offense that Morin would provide, so getting top mins in the A is better for him.

I think it's pretty difficult to say how good Morin is or would be offensively based on him not getting a consistent shot (6 games) to show what he's got.

I'd bet my left nut that over 82 games on the third line, Morin would outscore Brookbank by a good margin. Probably at a 3 to 1 clip on the high end, but certainly 2 to 1.

It would be hard for anyone to argue otherwise considering that Morin is a proven AHL scorer and Brookbank is a career plug.

Those two are not interchangeable or equal parts. To argue that they are just doesn't compute...

SLarmer28*

I agree. Him and Handzus were waste of roster spots.
Goaltender Chad Johnson cost the Boston Bruins $600,000 while goaltender Thomas Greiss cost the Phoenix Coyotes $750,000. Neither Johnson or Greiss have been miserable failures this season.

SLarmer28*

It would be hard for anyone to argue otherwise considering that Morin is a proven AHL scorer and Brookbank is a career plug.

Those two are not interchangeable or equal parts. To argue that they are just doesn't compute...
Especially considering Ben Smith is nothing more than a fourth line right winger.

SLarmer28*

The reluctance of the Chicago Blackhawks organization to proceed with a youth movement can be frustrating at times:

Jassen Cullimore
Andrew Brunette
Sean O'Donnell
Nikolai Khabibulin

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Kostka was a UFA free agent signing. The Hawks had nothing invested in him so losing him to waivers would not have been a great loss.
The Hawks have never had 24 guys on the roster, because you aren't allowed to. Kostka would of been a loss, because we would of only had 7 Dmen, and only 6 when 1 get's hurt. You don't go with just 6dmen at anytime, it's not a very smart move. We don't have any other Dmen who are NHL ready.

8 defenseman

Keith
Seabrook
Hjalmarsson
Oduya
Leddy
Rozsival
Brookbank
Kostka

http://www.capgeek.com/blackhawks/
Kostka is on LTIR, so we currently only have 7.

Stan Bowman wasted $1.7 million of cap space on a 40 year old Nikolai Khabibulin.
What does this have to do with Brookbank and Q?

I think it's pretty difficult to say how good Morin is or would be offensively based on him not getting a consistent shot (6 games) to show what he's got.

I'd bet my left nut that over 82 games on the third line, Morin would outscore Brookbank by a good margin. Probably at a 3 to 1 clip on the high end, but certainly 2 to 1.

I don't really care what Morin could do offensively, whether it's 10G or 2G. We don't need anymore offensive guys in the bottom 6, we need guys who are solid defensively, and that Q can trust to put on the ice against other teams top lines. Morin isn't at that level yet, so he would be playing 6-7mins a night, which is a waste. he is better off in the AHL getting top line mins, and having Brookbank doing the 6-7min a night thing until Hossa is back.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
The Hawks have never had 24 guys on the roster, because you aren't allowed to. Kostka would of been a loss, because we would of only had 7 Dmen, and only 6 when 1 get's hurt. You don't go with just 6dmen at anytime, it's not a very smart move. We don't have any other Dmen who are NHL ready.

Sorry. Hawks actually had 24 on the roster and currently have 24. IR injury exception allows them go to 24 or even higher depending on the situation.

You do know about call ups from Rockford to replace injured players. If the 7th d man gets hurt, Stan would have gotten on the phone and called up someone to sit in the press box.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Sorry. Hawks actually had 24 on the roster and currently have 24. IR injury exception allows them go to 24 or even higher depending on the situation.

You do know about call ups from Rockford to replace injured players. If the 7th d man gets hurt, Stan would have gotten on the phone and called up someone to sit in the press box.

You don't need someone to sit in the press box, you need someone who can play in case someone get's sick, or injured at the last minute. No Dman currently in Rockford can play in the NHL.

Players on LTIR are not considered to be on your roster and are cap exempt. So having '24 on the roster' doesn't change anything with regards to the cap space.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
You don't need someone to sit in the press box, you need someone who can play in case someone get's sick, or injured at the last minute. No Dman currently in Rockford can play in the NHL.

Players on LTIR are not considered to be on your roster and are cap exempt. So having '24 on the roster' doesn't change anything with regards to the cap space.

If a player goes on IR they are allowed to go over the 23 man limit but both players (the hurt player and the replacement) count against the cap.

Players on LTIR are not cap exempt. Any cost they have incurred before and after LTIR counts against the cap

SLarmer28*

What does this have to do with Brookbank and Q?
Asset management. Nikolai Khabibulin is not worth $1.7 million per season, Sheldon Brookbank is not worth $1.25 million per season, Michal Handzus is not worth $1 million per season.

I don't really care what Morin could do offensively, whether it's 10G or 2G. We don't need anymore offensive guys in the bottom 6, we need guys who are solid defensively, and that Q can trust to put on the ice against other teams top lines. Morin isn't at that level yet, so he would be playing 6-7mins a night, which is a waste. he is better off in the AHL getting top line mins, and having Brookbank doing the 6-7min a night thing until Hossa is back.
Brookbank has by far the worst Corsi Rating of any defenseman currently on the Chicago Blackhawks roster that has played at least five games this season. Brookbank is no defensive gem either.

No23

May 16, 2013
Asset management. Nikolai Khabibulin is not worth $1.7 million per season, Sheldon Brookbank is not worth $1.25 million per season, Michal Handzus is not worth $1 million per season.

You know what's interesting? I just went through some of the threads dating to Khabibulin and Handzus signing with the Blackhawks and wasn't able to find a single post of yours complaining about them not being worth the money at that time.

I did, however, found those:

Michal Handzus - 1 year, $1 million

What's the problem?

As opposed to Boyd Gordon - 3 years, $9 million

Nuts!

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1462713

The "Bulin Wall" would be cheap insurance if Raanta flops like Salak.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1463395

Captain Hindsight at it's best.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Morin isn't at that level yet, so he would be playing 6-7mins a night, which is a waste. he is better off in the AHL getting top line mins, and having Brookbank doing the 6-7min a night thing until Hossa is back.
I agree about the waste, let Morin get his minutes especially if he's a player they see as a long term answer for the bottom 6.

Hawks actually had 24 on the roster and currently have 24. IR injury exception allows them go to 24 or even higher depending on the situation.
They can't carry 24 but they can retroactively place someone on IR or LTIR. If anyteam has 24 on the roster, expect a player to be moved retroactively.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Players on LTIR are not cap exempt. Any cost they have incurred before and after LTIR counts against the cap
Yes, LTIR counts towards the year end number only I believe, if the player returns before the year end or before the start of the next cap year. Bowman can hedge that with savings on the daily number outside of LTIR since that space is calculated towards the year end number too.
I haven't seen any changes to this with the new CBA.

SLarmer28*

You know what's interesting? I just went through some of the threads dating to Khabibulin and Handzus signing with the Blackhawks and wasn't able to find a single post of yours complaining about them not being worth the money at that time.
I did, however, found those:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1462713

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1463395

Captain Hindsight at it's best.
Nor did I expect the Chicago Blackhawks to trade for Kris Versteeg which would put the Chicago Blackhawks right against the salary cap limit. Nor did I expect Khabibulin to completely mail it in this season. Once Khabibulin is cleared from LTIR, the Chicago Blackhawks need to put Khabibulin on waivers.

The Chicago Blackhawks need salary cap relief. Sheldon Brookbank is the most expendable player currently on the Chicago Blackhawks roster.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Khabibulin yes. Handzus no. Handzus was one of the key factors in the cup win. I have no problem carrying him on LTIR. Rest him for the playoff run. You want size and strength come playoff time. Also gave Pirri a chance to break in so tahts a double bonus right there.

No23

May 16, 2013
As for Handzus, at that time it was not mentioned that his $1 million contract also included a NMC.

Huh? You are flat out lying as it's mentioned in several posts before yours on the very same page.

Gurth

Feb 22, 2010
Madison
Khabibulin yes. Handzus no. Handzus was one of the key factors in the cup win. I have no problem carrying him on LTIR. Rest him for the playoff run. You want size and strength come playoff time. Also gave Pirri a chance to break in so tahts a double bonus right there.

I'd have no problem carrying him if I trusted that Q wouldn't do something stupid with him like throwing him onto the 2nd line.

And don't think for a second that it couldn't still happen - despite Pirri's success.

Zus should play a role similar to Mayers' last year.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
I'd have no problem carrying him if I trusted that Q wouldn't do something stupid with him like throwing him onto the 2nd line.

And don't think for a second that it couldn't still happen - despite Pirri's success.

Zus should play a role similar to Mayers' last year.
Com'on now. Zus can score. Mayers last scoring attempt failed on a wide open net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad