Brookbank as RW...

SLarmer28*

Huh? You are flat out lying as it's mentioned in several posts before yours on the very same page.
Only read the first post on that thread prior to posting:

Michael Handzus has agreed to terms on one year deal with CHI, paperwork to be completed.

So don't tell what I knew at that time when you don't have a clue.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
The Chicago Blackhawks need salary cap relief. Sheldon Brookbank is the most expendable player currently on the Chicago Blackhawks roster.

I think Chicago has quite a while before they need to waive or move somebody. Some of the bonus money can be deferred too I believe.

The year end number ( the total of 190-200 daily numbers + bonus money that can't/won't be deferred against the cap) is what matters, not the capgeek projected number based on the current roster.

I believe Bowman already acquired 400-500k for the year end number to take away from LTIR and they're not going to have Raanta and Khabibulin on the roster at the same time all year.

For example each day Raanta is down, they gain another $4,500-5000 to offset any daily LTIR overage. If he's up all year, that means Khabibulin finishes the year on LTIR and doesn't come back next year so things will alright. Bonus overage can be deferred too and the Hawks have some bonus money coming to Khabibulin and some others.

Unless they take a bunch of injuries in quick succession and really have to load up the roster with extra bodies for an extended stretch, they should be fine against the year end cap number without burying or trading anybody.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
If a player goes on IR they are allowed to go over the 23 man limit but both players (the hurt player and the replacement) count against the cap.

Players on LTIR are not cap exempt. Any cost they have incurred before and after LTIR counts against the cap
OK, I agree. But our players are on LTIR right now, so right now, they aren't counting against the cap, aka, they are not on our roster.

Asset management. Nikolai Khabibulin is not worth $1.7 million per season, Sheldon Brookbank is not worth $1.25 million per season, Michal Handzus is not worth $1 million per season.

Brookbank has by far the worst Corsi Rating of any defenseman currently on the Chicago Blackhawks roster that has played at least five games this season. Brookbank is no defensive gem either.
Brookbank is worth 1.25, Handzus is worth 1mil, cant disagree about Bulin. But I still don't know what this has to do with Q putting Brookbank at W. You can't predict the future, and Bulin seemed like an OK signing at the time.

This just in, our 6 other Dmen are really good Dmen. Who would of thought that? Brookbank is fine as a #7, and he is fine for now filling a 7min spot role in our FWD group.

And since you want to nit pick stats, like Corsi..

Brookbank is 0+/-
Brookbank is 5th in hits on the team despite playing 8 less games than his teammates near him in that category
Less giveaways than Rozi despite playing 2 more games than Roszival
Only been on the ice for 5ES GA over his 13GP

Nothingman*

I will argue all day long Smith is not a 3W. ALL day.

As well as Brokebank having no place on 3W.....or 4W for the minutes you state. That provides the D.....limited it is from him......with zero O. Our strength is rolling lines. With him on any line it is a subtraction from that equation. No matter the minutes. Look at the 3line output with him on it.

SLarmer28*

Brookbank is worth 1.25, Handzus is worth 1mil, cant disagree about Bulin. But I still don't know what this has to do with Q putting Brookbank at W. You can't predict the future, and Bulin seemed like an OK signing at the time.

This just in, our 6 other Dmen are really good Dmen. Who would of thought that? Brookbank is fine as a #7, and he is fine for now filling a 7min spot role in our FWD group.
Sheldon Brookbank is not worth $1.25 million especially when Kostka counts $625,000 against the cap and is 5 years younger and Stanton counts $550,000 against the cap and is 9 years younger. If Stan Bowman was fortunate enough to unload Daniel Carcillo and his contract then Sheldon Brookbank should have been a slam dunk.

Handzus may or may not be worth $1 million since he was recovering from surgery. An incentive based contract for Handzus would been more beneficial to the Chicago Blackhawks organization ($600,000 base, $400,000 incentive bonus clause).

I figured Khabibulin would at worst perform as Crawford and Emery during the 2011-12 NHL Season, which was subpar at best. Khabibulin is worse than Marty Turco was with the Chicago Blackhawks during the 2010-11 NHL Season.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
I agree about the waste, let Morin get his minutes especially if he's a player they see as a long term answer for the bottom 6.

They can't carry 24 but they can retroactively place someone on IR or LTIR. If anyteam has 24 on the roster, expect a player to be moved retroactively.

They can carry 24 or more when they place player on IR. That is why having a lot of injuries that don't require LTIR equally hurts a team cap wise. Because, the IR player and the his replacement count against the cap. So basically, you can have 24+ players on the roster.

How about this: When dealing with players on IR, teams only list 23 on the roster but they are being cap charged 23 plus any players on IR.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Sheldon Brookbank is not worth $1.25 million especially when Kostka counts $625,000 against the cap and is 5 years younger and Stanton counts $550,000 against the cap and is 9 years younger. If Stan Bowman was fortunate enough to unload Daniel Carcillo and his contract then Sheldon Brookbank should have been a slam dunk.

OK, he is worth it when John M Liles makes 3.5 sitting on the bench....and so on and so on. At the time he signed his contract that was his value, and he is still a solid 6/7 guy who typically make around 1mil. He is a better Dman than both Kostka and Stanton. He plays a different style than those Dmen, so it's tough to compare. 5GA in 13GP is not bad for a 6/7 guy.

Handzus may or may not be worth $1 million since he was recovering from surgery. An incentive based contract for Handzus would been more beneficial to the Chicago Blackhawks organization ($600,000 base, $400,000 incentive bonus clause).
Your hindsight is a perfect 20/20 all the time. Not sure how you do it. Handzus was a solid contributor less than 8 months ago. He still can be if he is used properly.

They can carry 24 or more when they place player on IR. That is why having a lot of injuries that don't require LTIR equally hurts a team cap wise. Because, the IR player and the his replacement count against the cap. So basically, you can have 24+ players on the roster.

How about this: When dealing with players on IR, teams only list 23 on the roster but they are being cap charged 23 plus any players on IR.
But the Hawks have never carried 24 players at once. They aren't right now, nor earlier in the year.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012

If they're on IR, they're not on the active roster, they're on IR. That was all I was making clear.

Moves to LTIR from IR are not always disclosed right away and they can be backdated so a player that may appear to be counting for the daily cap number may not actually be adding to the daily cap. In other words, we don't know how Khabibulin's number is being added to the cap yet. While on IR he counts towards the daily number now but that will be changed if he goes to LTIR and then his time would only count for the year end number since the injury or whatever date Bowman picks. We have to wait and see.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
They put Khabby on LTIR as soon as it happened. They could backdate Handzus and Kostka, though.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Brookbank is not the most expendable player on the hawks nor should he be traded. He is our D depth at the NHL level and his Cap Hit is fine for his role and what he brings.

HjalmarFan

Jul 8, 2010
Villa Park, IL
Morin's at the end of his contract and I think the Hawks want to get him some experience, but also bring him back cheap. So I think that's why they are playing games with him. He looks awesome to me, somebody who will score 20-35 goals per year a bunch of times. But the Blackhawks are really limiting his opportunities. Given the cap hell they may face next year, I don't think it's hard to guess why. Jeremy Morin is the most underrated prospect in the Hawks system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad