GDT: Bronze Medal Game | Finland vs Russia | 1/5 @ 5PM ET | TSN/NHLN

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
Ya... have to wait another year for it... and 8 days for the NHL...

My Wife hasn't seen Me for a few days... so she will be happy to have Me back for 8 days... :laugh:

... and my girlfriend (Sweden) is already at sleep . And the clock is around 22:00 'ere in S:DDweden!

Reactions: Ginger Papa

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
... and my girlfriend (Sweden) is already at sleep . And the clock is around 22:00 'ere in S:DDweden.

And we have guys here in Canada complaining about it being Prime Time here in Eastern NA...

Sucks to be them...

It's Epiphany... so treat this evening like you are going into a religious holiday...

I won't be on the road tomorrow as most of My clients will be observing it... I take a partial day off every year running into this every year for the World Juniors...

I am so blessed... you could say I am joking with that quote, but I'd say it's true.

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
I don't feel like looking at it. Somehow I'm out of breath. Games for 3rd place should be abolished

Don't say that, don't even say that ... like the Finland soldier said in the movie/book The Unknown Soldiers: "Sovjet Russia may have won the war - but little hard Finland came in second place".
15906537_max.jpg

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Don't say that, don't even say that ... like the Finland soldier said in the movie/book The Unknown Soldiers: "Sovjet Russia may have won the war - but little hard Finland came in second place".
15906537_max.jpg

The Winter War lead to tough times for Finland for a period after that... but if you know history... it serves as a warning to others to take Finland seriously...

And appreciate your chances and opportunities ...

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
God, does it matter? Russia already sh*t its pants, I guess if they beat Finland and get Bronze it woule "somewhat" of a redemption. But Larionov's "style" is horrible for this team Russia, he's just incompetent.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
3 hours more time? I doubt that the Russians spent much time post-disaster yesterday preparing for Finland. I think they just serve their sentence under the IIHF-TSN Money-Making Protocol and secure their release from custody in the Edmonton Bubble!
+post-game activities. They don't just hit showers and go to the hotel after the game.

And like i said, it's anyone's ballgame. It all comes down which team has handled the loss better, and more time usually helps.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Great reference @Summer Rose

Dan Blackburn: nerve injury.
View attachment 382221

Thanks for posting that Ging'...

Lin Bend was a Ranger as well...

Lin-Bend-photo.jpg

11229363_116665190458.jpg

He coached me in Minor Hockey in Winnipeg for a couple years...

He was such a good man... he died too young... 55...

When I drive by the copse of woods surrounding St. Anne's Anglican cemetery just West of Poplar Point where Mr. Bend is buried...

It brings back a mixture of feelings... sadness and some good memories of him...

I drive by often... sometimes 3 times a week...

I stop in from time to time... it's a very peaceful spot...

Last edited:

Dexter Colt

Oct 29, 2007
Mendham, NJ
God, does it matter? Russia already sh*t its pants, I guess if they beat Finland and get Bronze it woule "somewhat" of a redemption. But Larionov's "style" is horrible for this team Russia, he's just incompetent.
Tactics aside, I sometimes wonder if he's too much of a humanist in his approach. He hinself rebelled against the tyranny of Tikhonov, and his style reflects this. His style might work with a room full of Igors, but not every U20 athlete is as gifted and diligent as he was.

c9gunner

Dec 24, 2011
Every game matters. Nobody forces anyone to watch it. People will forget about losing in the semis, but the bronze medal will count for the total record. I think Larionov will stay as the head coach for the next two years. The 2022 team looks very promising and I hope larionov will be able to take them to the Subway (or whatever it's called now) series before finalizing the roster. Lets go Russia!

c9gunner

Dec 24, 2011
His style might work with a room full of Igors, but not every U20 athlete is as gifted and diligent as he was.

I came to the same conclusion - the skill level of this team wasn't enough to play his system. It's his fault for not recognizing it, but he is a smart guy and knows a thing or two about hockey. There is a saying in Russia - A beaten one is worth two unbeaten ones.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I came to the same conclusion - the skill level of this team wasn't enough to play his system. It's his fault for not recognizing it, but he is a smart guy and knows a thing or two about hockey. There is a saying in Russia - A beaten one is worth two unbeaten ones.

When the Czech's had just beaten your team in the Prelim's... just before the anthem...

TSN panned tight to 2 of the Russian kids standing on the blueline... they were smiling and laughing...

I thought that was a little foreboding right there...

After a loss I don't think it was even possible for Me to smile until I was well away from the rink and had achieved something worthy again...

And that might take days...

c9gunner

Dec 24, 2011
the were smiling and laughing...

oh well, nobody was smiling yesterday. From my experience - a good athlete learns his lesson from the defeat but focuses on the future games. No reason to dwell on the past. I hope for the good effort from the Russian team.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
At the Lillehammer olympics Finland lost to Canada at the semifinals, and Finland was dominant through the tournament. Only loss was against Canada, and all of the players were depressed and some of them felt like they didn't even wanted to play the bronze medal game.

So then the head coach Curre Lindström asked cross-country skier Marja-Liisa Kirvesniemi to give the prep talk to the team. So she came in to the conference room with the medals around her neck( 2 bronze medals), and told the team:
"boys, third and fourth place has a terrible difference. In fourth place you get a certificate of honor that can be put in frames, but that game when you win, you get the medals home"

And Captain Timo Jutila said that: that was best motivational speech, he has ever heard.

Finland won that bronze medal game against Russia 4-0.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
oh well, nobody was smiling yesterday. From my experience - a good athlete learns his lesson from the defeat but focuses on the future games. No reason to dwell on the past. I hope for the good effort from the Russian team.

I wish I had been that bullet proof in sports...

I know what you are talking about... in My personal life and business I am exactly as you said "a good athlete learns his lesson from the defeat but focuses on the future games. No reason to dwell on the past"...

I was a decent athlete and a competitor... but not good or great athelete. But in other areas of My life I never have let failures or mishap trip Me up and I stay positive and focused on things within the sphere of My control...

Very true... well said.

Reactions: c9gunner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad