Bronx getting new ice sports facility

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I'm guessing this is too far from Rutgers university for the B1G to push for another hockey program to play there?

Way too far, and there'd be no interest from Rutgers to justify the Title IX costs

Division 1 NCAA? Then yes, it could/would be a Title IX issue. But there are always Division 3 (ACHA) club teams. (Unfunded by school.)

And who's to say there aren't alumni willing to foot the start up bill for a pair of teams? (With the arena "in place", it's just ice time and equipment, plus travel.)

And one more thing from Messier's interview I remembered: the nine indoor rinks would be the largest (indoor) ice facility in the world.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
Division 1 NCAA? Then yes, it could/would be a Title IX issue. But there are always Division 3 (ACHA) club teams. (Unfunded by school.)

And who's to say there aren't alumni willing to foot the start up bill for a pair of teams? (With the arena "in place", it's just ice time and equipment, plus travel.)

And one more thing from Messier's interview I remembered: the nine indoor rinks would be the largest (indoor) ice facility in the world.

Rutgers already has an ACHA team, which is NOT the same thing as NCAA D3. NCAA D3 programs are indeed funded by the schools.

Regardless, I don't think the B1G is going to push Rutgers to do anything. I highly doubt they even care about hockey. I'm pretty sure the only reason they even sponsor hockey is because it's in their charter that if 6 member schools play a sport in the NCAA they have to sponsor it.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
That's not the case and the B1G absolutely does care about hockey because it's content. It's the same reason Johns Hopkins was added to create a lacrosse league, for TV content. Nebraska and Illinois are far more likely to add hockey than any eastern school, though.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
This is one of the coolest renderings I've ever seen:

2013_04_render3.jpg

The rinks would be on two floors, and the one in the middle would have seats.

I like the design. There is a below ground rink in Downtown Milwaukee at the Kern Center for MSOE. The Admirals practice there.
It is in the basement of the building below a large gym. It is also the only place that I have see a non-Zamboni ice machine.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

Sure it is, or as my mother used to say "don't hold your breathe".

If approved by New York City officials, the first phase of construction would include the build-out of the 5-acre site into nine rinks, athletic facilities, and a 5,000-seat stadium. Construction for phase one would likely total $170 million in overall costs and Parker hopes to raise money for the remainder of the project in order to complete it by 2022.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Sure it is, or as my mother used to say "don't hold your breathe".
Well the current idiot in the mayor's office thinks black kids won't benefit from ice rinks (which is the complete opposite of the truth) so when he came in office he stopped the project which was approved by the previous mayor until they could secure the funding. So this is them securing the first phase funding, plus the governor of New York has offered to structure another $134 million loan for the project

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Well the current idiot in the mayor's office thinks black kids won't benefit from ice rinks (which is the complete opposite of the truth) so when he came in office he stopped the project which was approved by the previous mayor until they could secure the funding. So this is them securing the first phase funding, plus the governor of New York has offered to structure another $134 million loan for the project

Wasn't there a program years ago to bring hockey to Harlam? I remember there being something about bringing hockey to the inner city and someone out of one of the programs made it to the NHL. Does anyone else remember this?

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Wasn't there a program years ago to bring hockey to Harlam? I remember there being something about bringing hockey to the inner city and someone out of one of the programs made it to the NHL. Does anyone else remember this?

https://www.icehockeyinharlem.org/

We have friends who play.

And, unfortunately, it seems like Lasker (the rink at the north end of Central Park where the Hockey in Harlem kids - as well as a lot of other kids - play) will close for a 3 year renovation in 2020.

It would be amazing if a rink in the Bronx could open to handle the displaced kids from Lasker.

jonathan613

Aug 6, 2018
As a Bronx resident I will probably be gone when this is up. But I hope good public transportation options come along. I believe it requires some walking from the subway to get to.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
That rendering is pretty awesome. 9 rinks and a 5,000 seat arena is massive, I feel like they'd need some permanent tenants, wether it be as a practice facility or an AHL/ ECHL, or even for a college in the area to get into hockey.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
That rendering is pretty awesome. 9 rinks and a 5,000 seat arena is massive, I feel like they'd need some permanent tenants, wether it be as a practice facility or an AHL/ ECHL, or even for a college in the area to get into hockey.

When I was in grad school at NYU I asked the Dean why we didn't go Division I (I always thought it would be good for the school) and he said they actually thought about it for hockey but the NCAA wouldn't let them go D-I for hockey and leave everything else D-III

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad