Broll vs Ashton

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
With Kule and Clarkson set to return, our top 9 is set. I have been impressed by Broll. I dont think leivo will stick. Which of Broll or Ashton should stay? I don't know much about Broll, but he does have a great nickname. What's Broll's upside?

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
This will be tough but there is a spot for a 13th forward...i guess but i imagine he gets sent down

AS Mclaren returns as well

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
OT: What happened with Bodie? Is he injured or just sitting in the pressbox?

SteveV*

Ashton has done okay along the boards, but Broll actually looks more dangerous offensively, or maybe less bad. I thought Ashton looked better in camp to be honest, unless he plays desperate, he still seems a marginal player still.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Ashton was better in preseason, but Broll has been better in regular season play. I would like both to play with the Marlies for the better part of the year though and see Bodie stay up with the big team when Kulemin, Mclaren and Clarkson come back.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I'd like to see Broll get a bit more seasoning in the AHL, But I agree with some here, He hasn't looked too out of place.

samwitch

Feb 27, 2008
Really like Broll's game, but I wouldn't mind seeing him play a full year in the AHL this year.

iBlaze81

Jan 18, 2010
Broll looks to be the better player. Good board play, he creates room for his line mates and doesn't shy away from physical play, but he doesn't bring the physical play I thought he be more like a Matt Martin; koromov, on the forecheck, meaning hitting everything that moves. I like to see him spend a year or 2 Ahl before coming a full time nhler

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
I had hopes for Ashton but he just hasn't been good at all. He's too soft for the 4th line

skacore

Nov 7, 2010
I'd like to see Broll play more just because he's more physical and a better fighter, but in reality I think Ashton is more suited for the lineup. Broll could really use a year of seasoning in the AHL where I feel Ashton has already been down that route and he's better off getting more comfortable in the NHL.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Ashton sucks, Broll is very speedy and he can have our players back!!! Ashton just falls around..

This x2.

However since Clarkson will be returning eventually, I'd prefer it if Broll went back to the AHL and continued to evolve in an offensive role with the marlies. Ashton, is basically useless so I wouldn't mind him sitting in the pressbox and playing 4th line duties every once in a while.

He has a greater negative impact on the game than a positive impact imo.

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
Can we all agree for the first time we have players who can step in and do not look out of place...

Long gone is Crabb, Steckle, and other bums

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I actually don't like Ashton's game at all. He's extremely soft on the puck, and doesn't have the speed or size to play in the NHL full time imo. He's a tweener.

Broll is built for a bottom 6 roll. He's good in a straight line, lays the body, and has enough hands to make a play or two.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Ashton is worthless , the efforts there but he accomplishes nothing . Broll has a chance to become a solid bottom 6 player if he picks up his skating/mobility and motor . He's a big bodied player who could develop with some time in the minors .

Last edited:

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
I thought Broll was quite quick in fact, surprisingly so. Or at least he was always involved. Bodie seemed to disappear. I like Broll's game, but obviously miscast on the 2nd line, at least for now. Plus, Broll-dozer. How good is that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad