Brodziak thoughts

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Seems to have returned to the Brodz of three years ago. Not the out of shape guy of last year, nor the rock star (relatively speaking) of two years ago, but the solid, tough, unspectacular third liner he was meant to be.

I could be wrong. Maybe Cooke is making him look better than he is?

Glad to see him off the PP.

When you watch him play on the ice, what are your thoughts?

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
He's been very inconsistent this season. He's had a few absolute clunkers of games.

Still players way too many minutes for my liking as well.

He is what he is. Somewhat sound third line center who's not going to chip in all that much offensively but isn't going to get the team beat most nights either.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Pretty much the same as you.

I think he's a decent and reliable 3c for now, and if we happen to get a little deeper down the middle he could be pushed to 4c, where he would be exceptional.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The only reason he was a rockstar two years ago is because he was playing first line minutes with Heatley and whoever when literally half our team was injured.

OpRedDawn*

The only reason he was a rockstar two years ago is because he was playing first line minutes with Heatley and whoever when literally half our team was injured.
I disagree. During that year, he buried his chances. Since then, he whiffs on them. It wasn't the minutes, it was him making the nice play and finishing.

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
Looking back I wish we would have traded him when his value was so high during that 22 goal season. Especially since it seems like Mcmillan/Mitchell could be that 3rd line center. I'd also love to see Bulmer on the 3rd line eventually.

In the mean time though Brodz hasn't looked nearly as competent on offense and for his size he always leaves me wanting more physical play more hits. He's defensively responsible though, a good face off guy, and eats up PK time so definitely a capable 3C but not worth the money he's getting from one 20 goal season.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Looking back I wish we would have traded him when his value was so high during that 22 goal season. Especially since it seems like Mcmillan/Mitchell could be that 3rd line center. I'd also love to see Bulmer on the 3rd line eventually.

In the mean time though Brodz hasn't looked nearly as competent on offense and for his size he always leaves me wanting more physical play more hits. He's defensively responsible though, a good face off guy, and eats up PK time so definitely a capable 3C but not worth the money he's getting from one 20 goal season.

I think Haula could be the guy to step into that 3C spot once Brodziak's contract is up.

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
Yep! Forgot about haula and maybe Phillips too although I think both could end up as a wing in the nhl.

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
I agree Haula has looked good so far and Phillips has as well with 5 points in 5 games. I think Haula is playing LW right now though at least that's what he is listed as. I could definitely see him as a center once he puts on more muscle.

For those who regularly follow the AHL how much has Phillips developed from last season to this season? It definitely seems that he has a much bigger role on the team this year and has produced more offense. I'm curious how far away he is from being considered for a call-up?

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I think this is off-base. It wasn't the minutes or his linemates. It was his mindset.

Brodziak was a rock star two years ago because he was motivated. Everybody was injured and the team needed people to step up. Brodziak did. Heatley did. They both knew that if they didn't, nobody else would.

Now, Brodziak is ok, but he definitely is more comfortable being a role player without the pressue.

Too bad, he was really good when the pressure was on him. A lot of players aren't.

LemaireisGOD

Jul 19, 2010
Nowhere, WI
I think Brodziak and the 3rd line as a whole has a been a little less noticeable in each game as the season has gone on. He's certainly a guy the Wild need to get a goal or points every 4-5 games if not more than that.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Haula might end up being a good player for the Wild, but he will never be a replacement for Brodziak. Not nearly as big and strong. He is a skilled offensive player who might be able to play some reasonably good defense, but in no way does he have the grit to do what Brodz does (the "good Brodz", that is).

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

How is he not worth the money? Its not like he is making 5 million. He is making 2.5 million, pretty much the going rate for veteran third liners.

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
It's only 2.5 for this season it's 3.0 for the next two years. In my opinion he hasn't lived up to that contract since signing it.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
What are your expectations of him this year?

Mine:

15 goals, 35 points, top PK unit, 50%+ faceoff, start more shifts in the defensive zone, end more shifts in the offensive zone

So far:

11gp 1g 3pts (on pace for 7g 22pts in 82 games), leads forwards in PK time per game, 54.7% faceoff, 43.1% offensive zone start, 54.2% offensive zone end

Outside his offensive production, he's been doing a hell of a job. He needs to pick up a little bit and won't benefit from any PP time, but he's doing his job as a checking line center really well IMO.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Brodziak has had some rough games but by and large he's improved from last year. I think his big year gave people some lofty expectations of his game.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Plus, 2.8M seems like a money when looking at it, but its not compared to the previous salary cap. Thats 4.4% of the cap. So, he's just a slightly overpaid third liner. But hes a model third liner. So, he is right in line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad