Confirmed with Link: Brodin signs extension (6 years, $4.167M per)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Maybe you could educate me.

Both are smooth skating Swedish defensemen who are essentially the same size. They both play a great 2 way game with OEL recently seeing a surge in his production... hitting the 44 pt mark last season. While OEL scores more, Brodin has the edge in his own end. Also, we can compare their contracts apples-to-apples because both extensions were for 6 years coming off their EL deals.

If you account for their age difference, OEL's breakout season last year would put the timing for Brodin's production to need a significant increase next year, which is the first year of his extension. But we've been told for years that Brodin's offensive game would need to catch up to his defensive game.

I'm not saying OEL is overpayed by any means, but getting Brodin for $1.4mil less/year is pretty darn impressive. There is not a world of difference in their games.

I don't have to. These guys did:

Couldn't you count 32 points as a 20 year old as 'breakout season'? Or a 41 point pace in the lockout year?

I'm not saying that Brodin is lagging behind in any meaningful way, but OEL is at least a small step ahead of him, offensively, at comparable ages.

OEL is about a 1/2 PPG player while Brodin is about a 1/4 PPG player. Big difference.

We'll see how this year goes. At 20, Brodin was a .25 PPG player, OEL was a .39 PPG player. Smaller difference.

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul
Another angle

I could watch this all day. An interesting note is that I always wondered where Suter came from to score that one timer in the slot. Only 4 players in the zone when Brodin keeps it in. It's the second period too meaning Suter came from the far bench all the way to the slot without one single Avalanche player picking him up.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Bacon never gets old:nod:

6 more years, ahhh yeah:yo:

I'm stoked to have this kid locked up and that he likes our org as much as he seems to.

Historical point totals aside, he's shown offensive instincts.

Who knows what the coaches are telling him. Last year was not his shining moment either, especially after he broke his cheek, BUT, I think this kid is going to start putting up respectable points if not this year, then next.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
You know what's pretty awesome, that in the age of free agency where players go from once place to the next all the time...you just get that feeling of more of a team mentality here. Parise and Suter wanted to be here...Vanek wanted to be here...Nino and Brodin want to be here. The fact that they're such a good 'team' is awesome and should have a nice effect on contract negotiations as well.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
You know what's pretty awesome, that in the age of free agency where players go from once place to the next all the time...you just get that feeling of more of a team mentality here. Parise and Suter wanted to be here...Vanek wanted to be here...Nino and Brodin want to be here. The fact that they're such a good 'team' is awesome and should have a nice effect on contract negotiations as well.

Yeah, maybe I'm just naive but it feels like a lot of our important players want to be here.

They aren't giving massive discounts but they aren't holding CF's feet to the fire either.

I'm sure some of them will eventually have to leave (defense mainly) but its never felt like they are just waiting for the big payday. Stoner is a good example of someone who needed to leave because he might not have another chance at a payday like that.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland

I get this impression too. The organization is clearly doing many things right with how they treat the players. As you say, it helps in contract negotiations, but I think it can also be a factor in the playoffs. By all accounts there's a good thing going on in the room. It can give that slight mental edge over a team of mercenaries.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

I'll let the homer in me come out a little bit and say I absolutely agree. Tazer and Kane could have signed for much less in order for the hawks to be well under the cap to sign the rest of the core players. Instead they demand $11M or they'll walk. I don't blame JT for wanting it but Kane is all about the money.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
I'll let the homer in me come out a little bit and say I absolutely agree. Tazer and Kane could have signed for much less in order for the hawks to be well under the cap to sign the rest of the core players. Instead they demand $11M or they'll walk. I don't blame JT for wanting it but Kane is all about the money.

Its okay for Toews to want to get paid but not Kane?

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Its okay for Toews to want to get paid but not Kane?

They both got paid but no one in their right mind should think Kane deserves that kind of cash. Toews is a special player and I will afford him all the garnishes that come with it. Kane is riding that gravy train as the hawks could not afford to not resign him considering he is extremely well received by their fanbase and has potted quite a few goals that have made the difference. The issue from my perspective is this: Toews wants to be a Blackhawk. Kane would have gone anywhere the money was. If he didn't get the same deal as JT, I honestly believe he would have walked and signed elsewhere.

I look at Kane as Gaborik with this franchise. People never wanted him to go because he was a special player. Tie in a lot of special moments where he scored big goals and people forget about the drama that ensues because of him. Remember, DR offered him a very hefty contract and he turned it down because he was tired of playing here and wanted to win somewhere else. If the Hawks had not won their cups in the last 5 years, I firmly believe Kane would have gone elsewhere next season. I do believe JT would have stayed with them regardless.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Kane helps drive the "gravy train", same as Toews. They both deserved what they got.

Deserving aside, you and I both know Duncan Keith had to grind his teeth a little bit knowing full well he took a pay cut in order to maintain the core of that team...only to see them both get 8 figures. 2x Norris winner and considered by the majority to be Top 5 in the NHL year in and year out? Kane doesn't even come close to that notoriety.

You want to keep the team together to win championships and create a dynasty, players need to make sacrifices on the paycheck in a cap era. Something that will bite that team in the ass very soon IMO.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Keith opted for security, signing for 13 years after his breakout season, which was not an option for Toews/Kane. The first 8 years of his deal would be him $7.2m per year; I'm not sure how much of the cap that would've been back in 09-10, but I'm guessing it would've been pretty comparable.

Kane is most definitely a top 5 or top 7 winger and Conn Smythe winner. Pretty close, I'd say.

They've won two Cups in Chicago and will be a contender every single year that they are there. They don't owe them any more than that.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Kane is worth every bit as much as Toews. No question that JT is the leader of that dressing room, but Kane is just electric with the puck on his stick. Nobody in the NHL can freeze an opponent the way he can, IMO. Kane gives the Hawks their swagger.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Fletcher & Co. are proving that they get better all the time.

Now, I feel like the Cup Cake has been mixed, we just need to watch it bake.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Aren't Kane and Johnny like best friends? Always thought it was pretty much the same exact thing Suter and Parise did, 2 peas in an expensive pod. Never had any doubts they wouldn't re-sign with Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad