Confirmed with Link: Brodin signs extension (6 years, $4.167M per)

Status
Not open for further replies.

purexed

Sep 1, 2013
Minnesota
So he'll be 27 when the contract is up. Hope we can get him extended beyond that because he'll be entering his prime by then. Good work Fletch :handclap:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
First, I should be clear by saying I don't think any of the young cord guys are going to be greedy and holdout. I think they're in this together to say.

Sitting here thinking why Brodin derserves a bigger contract than Scandella. Both have had their ups and downs. They play different games but I don't think Brodin's "ceiling" is any higher than Scandys. Brodin will get more points no doubt but Scandella's size is valuable.

He's been in a bigger role... 24 minute top pairing vs. 18 minute 2nd pairing

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
This is a beautiful signing, to me he's noticeably bigger and stronger this year, and with the small sample size so far he looks much more confident. I see some people saying he didn't progress last year, but it's pretty hard to make any major progress when you're dealing with a broken Orbital bone at 19/20 yrs old,,, he played more timid after it happened.

awstaf

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
This is a fantastic deal. The Wild are assuming that he'll make a considerable jump in the next six years and are willing to forego the bridge contract (which is pretty much a 'prove it' contract) in order to lock him in for a lower cap hit over a longer period of time. And with the salary cap likely rising, this contract will look incredible in the final years if he continues on his current projection.

The only negative is that he becomes a UFA at 27. But thats way down the line so I dont think thats a massive negative.

J22*

This is a fantastic deal. The Wild are assuming that he'll make a considerable jump in the next six years and are willing to forego the bridge contract (which is pretty much a 'prove it' contract) in order to lock him in for a lower cap hit over a longer period of time. And with the salary cap likely rising, this contract will look incredible in the final years if he continues on his current projection.

The only negative is that he becomes a UFA at 27. But thats way down the line so I dont think thats a massive negative.

Brodin would've been eligible for free agency at 25 so this contract actually eats 2 years of UFA. It was either a 2-3 year "bridge"deal or try for something long term. My guess is a 2-3 year deal wouldn't have been a whole lot cheaper than the 6 year deal.

Haite

x
Jun 27, 2011
My guess is a 2-3 year deal wouldn't have been a whole lot cheaper than the 6 year deal.

Besides, Fletcher wants to spread out the contract ending years a bit. He doesn't want to find himself in the same situation 2-3 years from now, with a lot of important contracts to sign over one season.

Last edited:

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
This is a beautiful signing, to me he's noticeably bigger and stronger this year, and with the small sample size so far he looks much more confident. I see some people saying he didn't progress last year, but it's pretty hard to make any major progress when you're dealing with a broken Orbital bone at 19/20 yrs old,,, he played more timid after it happened.

I was thinking the exact same thing. He was throwing the body around a lot on Saturday, including one hit, where he easily pushed one of the Avs easily off his feet, and into the boards.

I continue to sit in amazement at all of you fans who keep talking about "when his offense increases/gets better" . That has NEVER been his game. Does anyone besides me understand that in his previous three seasons prior to playing for the Wild, his points totals were 94/ 0-12 = 12!

So the fact that in 12/13 he put up 54/ 4-11 = 15 and in 13/14 he had 79/ 8-11 = 19; should be putting huge smiles on our face for his unexpected offense.

The guys is a strong defensemen, with a great breakout game. That is his strength.

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011
Great deal. Granlund next? :)

I think Granlund's deal will be negotiated next summer. How this season goes plays huge part of how big and long it's going to be. My guess is 3 years unless he has a monster season.

I'd say Scandella's and Coyle's deals are next in line.

Haite

x
Jun 27, 2011
I was thinking the exact same thing. He was throwing the body around a lot on Saturday, including one hit, where he easily pushed one of the Avs easily off his feet, and into the boards.

I continue to sit in amazement at all of you fans who keep talking about "when his offense increases/gets better" . That has NEVER been his game. Does anyone besides me understand that in his previous three seasons prior to playing for the Wild, his points totals were 94/ 0-12 = 12!

So the fact that in 12/13 he put up 54/ 4-11 = 15 and in 13/14 he had 79/ 8-11 = 19; should be putting huge smiles on our face for his unexpected offense.

The guys is a strong defensemen, with a great breakout game. That is his strength.

Guess which Swedish defenceman had 11 points in 53 regular season games and 3 points in 17 playoff games in the SHL prior to making the jump to NHL?

J22*

I would guess that anyone who knows what hockeydatabase or eliteprospects are would know that. What some of "us" also know, is that using stats for teenagers playing in the SEL to project their offensive potential is worthless.

Brodin has a bunch of untapped offensive potential, and when he finally realizes that he's almost always the best skater on the ice, his numbers will improve.

Kari Takko

Jun 6, 2010
North Metro, MN
Comparing this deal to Oliver Ekman-Larsson's deal, GMCF hit an absolute homerun. He just locked up a comparable player for about $1.4mil less per year.

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
Love this contract. I would be fine with Paying Scandella a similar amount. Both are very steady

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Phenomenal extension. Brodin at his worst is worth $3m. He'll be worth twice that by the end of the year. Also locks down our best two defensemen for a long time.

Hoping to see something worked out soon with Scandella and Granlund.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I would guess that anyone who knows what hockeydatabase or eliteprospects are would know that. What some of "us" also know, is that using stats for teenagers playing in the SEL to project their offensive potential is worthless.

Brodin has a bunch of untapped offensive potential, and when he finally realizes that he's almost always the best skater on the ice, his numbers will improve.

It happens all the time when discussing young players from the SHL, especially defensemen.

Just to break down the numbers a (little) bit. I took a look at this in similar discussion a year or so ago but it is still fairly relevant imo.

Brodin's first "season" doesn't really count. He got a look for a whole 3 games with limited ice time at the end of the season when FBK were preparing for the playoffs. In his second season he also saw very limited ice time, many times < 10 min/game, but that was a full season so that's my starting point.

Brodin's first 2 full seasons:
116 GP 4 G 12 A 16 P (0.14 PPG)

----
Toby Enstrom (2 seasons): 87 GP 3 G 11 A 14 P (0.16 PPG)
Erik Karlsson (1/2 + 1 season): 76 GP 7 G 8 A 15 P (0.20 PPG)
Victor Hedman (2 seasons): 87 GP 10 G 16 A 26 P (0.30 PPG) - 0.5 PPG in the second of those and in discussion for 1st overall...
Niklas Kronwall (2 seasons): 91 GP 2 G 14 A 16 P (0.18 PPG)

I definitely think that Brodin has the tools to become an offensive defenseman, but it may take a couple of more seasons before he gets there. SHL stats for young players depends on many factors, how he was used, on which team he was playing. Brodin was on a team that are more or less always gunning for the title, and they always have capable big boys leading their blue line, and it is very tough for any junior player to take away ice time from them. If you take a look at a player as Victor Hedman, he was on a bad team which scored a lot but never made it to the playoffs. When he left they went right down to the bottom of the league and risked elimination. He was their no 2 D, relied on for scoring and given a lot of time on PP and EV to do it.

Kari Takko

Jun 6, 2010
North Metro, MN
Your first fallacy is comparing Brodin to OEL. Not even close.

Maybe you could educate me.

Both are smooth skating Swedish defensemen who are essentially the same size. They both play a great 2 way game with OEL recently seeing a surge in his production... hitting the 44 pt mark last season. While OEL scores more, Brodin has the edge in his own end. Also, we can compare their contracts apples-to-apples because both extensions were for 6 years coming off their EL deals.

If you account for their age difference, OEL's breakout season last year would put the timing for Brodin's production to need a significant increase next year, which is the first year of his extension. But we've been told for years that Brodin's offensive game would need to catch up to his defensive game.

I'm not saying OEL is overpayed by any means, but getting Brodin for $1.4mil less/year is pretty darn impressive. There is not a world of difference in their games.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Couldn't you count 32 points as a 20 year old as 'breakout season'? Or a 41 point pace in the lockout year?

I'm not saying that Brodin is lagging behind in any meaningful way, but OEL is at least a small step ahead of him, offensively, at comparable ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce