Confirmed with Link: Brodin signs extension (6 years, $4.167M per)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Deserving aside, you and I both know Duncan Keith had to grind his teeth a little bit knowing full well he took a pay cut in order to maintain the core of that team...only to see them both get 8 figures. 2x Norris winner and considered by the majority to be Top 5 in the NHL year in and year out? Kane doesn't even come close to that notoriety.

You want to keep the team together to win championships and create a dynasty, players need to make sacrifices on the paycheck in a cap era. Something that will bite that team in the ass very soon IMO.

:huh:

Keith got the biggest in CHI history when he signed in Dec 2009, that was before he won his first Norris.

Keith has, and has had, a higher salary than both Toews and Kane for the last 5 years.

Keith signed in 2009 and since that day he has been top 4 amongst all defenseman in terms of salary. In 10/11 he was no 1 in salary.

Lidstrom, who from 04/05 (already having won 3 out of his 7 Norris trophies) always signed short term contracts of 1-2 years, never had a salary as high as Keith's.

I think Keith is about as bad example as you can give in this case. He did not and has not sacrificed anything. The only thing he "did" was to agree to a 13 year contract so that his capgeek went down. There are good reasons why you cannot do that anymore, and Keith's contract is one.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I would agree that the Wild seem to be building something. This is exactly what we wanted to see a few years ago. You draft well and your players start to come into their own while RFA's. Complement the young players with smart UFA signings.

It's kind of like what the Twins should have done several years ago when they just let all their good players walk in free agency.

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
His agent should be fired for leaving a ton of money on the table! Fletcher really did his job.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I doubt Brodin's agent did this without Brodin's request.

With security of a 6yr deal comes the less likelihood of getting a bump in pay due to potential performance increase. Brodin knew this very well.

He opted for security first.

LordFletcher

Jun 18, 2012
Tonka-Wayzata, MN
hard to hate on anyone, especially a 21 year old for guaranteeing himself and his entire family financial freedom. He signed a guaranteed contract, I would have done the same to never have to worry about one bad check ending my career and potential next contract.

Not too mention, he will be entering his prime once this deal ends, so he can still cash in. Anyone bashing Brodin for taking this offer is simply out of their mind. Great deal for both him and club. Kudos to everyone

LordFletcher

Jun 18, 2012
Tonka-Wayzata, MN
Here's to hoping that his "team first" attitude is infectious.

agreed but again I think he did himself plenty of favors with his first major contract and will be getting another pay day before his time is up.

I want to see Fletcher sign Scandella now before he continues to break out. Get him locked up long term but I see a bridge deal happening here.

Still lost on where Granlund ends up in terms of dollars and years. Hopefully its in the 6 year $30 range

TheTimeKnife

Mar 11, 2014
Oregon
Kane and Toews are not making that much money, for all the whining about Subban and them that is the new value of super stars. You can't tack extra years on the contracts anymore, those values always existed the cap hits where just hidden. If you made Keiths contract legal it would swell to a similar size. Keith is making money hand over fist, but his contract has as much circumvention as Suter/Parise.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Kane and Toews are not making that much money, for all the whining about Subban and them that is the new value of super stars. You can't tack extra years on the contracts anymore, those values always existed the cap hits where just hidden. If you made Keiths contract legal it would swell to a similar size. Keith is making money hand over fist, but his contract has as much circumvention as Suter/Parise.

No idea who this poster is but he hits the nail on the head!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad