Value of: Brodie to NJD

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Brodie has been pretty damn awful the last couple of years. I would not trade Palmieri for him.

The shocking decline of TJ Brodie

Paywall, but all the info is here

Um, the info is not all there. You're pointing to an article that suggests TJ Brodie's decline began in the 2015-16 season.

The season that, by far, was the best season of TJ Brodie's career where he was a top 5 defenseman in the NHL. The season where his ES scoring rate trailed only Karlsson and Burns. The season where he was the one carrying a Giordano who, goal scoring aside, was not half as good as he has been in the other four of the last five years.

TJ Brodie's decline began early in the 2017-18 season and ended midway through the 2017-18 season. By the end of the year last year, before the concussion, he was back to playing at a superstar level. A few months with a partner that he never had chemistry with, we've all heard that story a bazillion times. You can't evaluate players on +/- numbers or even the eye test which always favours safe, bad players (no surprise this year's NHL whipping boy list is guys like OEL, Brodie, Keith, Letang, Karlsson, Muzzin, Klefbom, Gardiner- LOL as if you would not build a HOF Dcore out of that group). As for corsi numbers they need context and the context is pretty obvious - Giordano-Hamilton are a pairing that dominate possession and everyone else's numbers can't be compared to them.

In the 2016-17 season his numbers might have dipped because he was playing with a partner who wouldn't be in the NHL the next year, and then with a #6 dman as his partner, but he was really damn good. No surprise he was our best player down the stretch and into the playoffs, as he usually is.

I wouldn't trade Brodie for Palmieri personally. TBQH I would hesitate to trade him for Hall but I know I am considered a homer by less knowledgable posters.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Don't know who Kent Wilson is, but the Athletic is superb and he backs up his facts with figures. I'm inclined to believe the premise of his article
Kent Wilson is an advance stats clown whose intelligence when it comes to hockey is somewhere between zero and none. The guy is a complete and utter moron, trusting his word, is like trusting Incarcerated Bob.

Put it this way, the guy is so terrible, I refuse to subscribe to the Athletic because they actually lowered themselves to hiring the clown

Owen Doty

Jan 1, 2018
Um, the info is not all there. You're pointing to an article that suggests TJ Brodie's decline began in the 2015-16 season.

The season that, by far, was the best season of TJ Brodie's career where he was a top 5 defenseman in the NHL. The season where his ES scoring rate trailed only Karlsson and Burns. The season where he was the one carrying a Giordano who, goal scoring aside, was not half as good as he has been in the other four of the last five years.

TJ Brodie's decline began early in the 2017-18 season and ended midway through the 2017-18 season. By the end of the year last year, before the concussion, he was back to playing at a superstar level. A few months with a partner that he never had chemistry with, we've all heard that story a bazillion times. You can't evaluate players on +/- numbers or even the eye test which always favours safe, bad players (no surprise this year's NHL whipping boy list is guys like OEL, Brodie, Keith, Letang, Karlsson, Muzzin, Klefbom, Gardiner- LOL as if you would not build a HOF Dcore out of that group). As for corsi numbers they need context and the context is pretty obvious - Giordano-Hamilton are a pairing that dominate possession and everyone else's numbers can't be compared to them.

In the 2016-17 season his numbers might have dipped because he was playing with a partner who wouldn't be in the NHL the next year, and then with a #6 dman as his partner, but he was really damn good. No surprise he was our best player down the stretch and into the playoffs, as he usually is.

I wouldn't trade Brodie for Palmieri personally. TBQH I would hesitate to trade him for Hall but I know I am considered a homer by less knowledgable posters.
Im a flames fan, and Hall>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Brodie. AINEC. There may be a reason you're considered a homer lol.Brodie wasn't great last year, which as you said was likely because he was carrying around the corpse of Dennis Wideman. This year though he didn't have much excuse. Is it because he was playing on the left side? Is it because Glen Gulutzan neutured his abilities? I'm not sure, but we have enough defensive prospects that i'd be very happy trading him for someone like Palmieri, as I think we could fill in his position adequately, we are desperate for scoring. Although I also wouldn't be opposed to keeping him and seeing how he rebounds under Peters, but we need to address our lack of scoring big time

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I wouldn't deal Palmieri. He's a big part of our offensive production and has been remarkably consistent since he came here. Not sure why many NJ fans have neglected him but his points per game this year were right in line with his last 2 seasons, just dealt with a number of nagging injuries. He's also a major player on our PP.

I've always liked Brodie but it seems like his game has dipped quite a bit ever since he started pairing with someone other than Giordano. Can any Flames fans confirm if that's the case?
I would do it because we have Jesper Bratt, maybe Mcleod learns to play some wing, plus Joey Anderson.

But it would be a big loss. Palmieri I think a lot of nights was the team's second best forward down the stretch. Still, I'd rather have a hole on wing than a hole on defense and there are some young guys in the system that are on the way.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
As a devils fan who watches a ton of flames games, no thanks to Brodie. 2 years ago I would have given up a ton for him but not anymore.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I would do it because we have Jesper Bratt, maybe Mcleod learns to play some wing, plus Joey Anderson.

But it would be a big loss. Palmieri I think a lot of nights was the team's second best forward down the stretch. Still, I'd rather have a hole on wing than a hole on defense and there are some young guys in the system that are on the way.

That’s pinning quite a bit on the future. I understand the desire to insert some of these younger guys in but I don’t think we should fill one hole by creating another. Palmieri means a lot to our team offensively.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
If you’re saying that your third best defenseman is better than Taylor Hall — i.e. likely Hart Trophy winner — your team should be winning the Cup every year, even with an AHL goalie. It shouldn’t comfortably be missing the playoffs.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If you’re saying that your third best defenseman is better than Taylor Hall — i.e. likely Hart Trophy winner — your team should be winning the Cup every year, even with an AHL goalie. It shouldn’t comfortably be missing the playoffs.

1 poster doesn’t ruin the batch. I’d take Hall for anyone including Johnny. I love Hallsy so much lol. Most Flames fans would.

Love the hot takes though, right? Every team has posters like them.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
1 poster doesn’t ruin the batch. I’d take Hall for anyone including Johnny. I love Hallsy so much lol. Most Flames fans would.

Love the hot takes though, right? Every team has posters like them.

Regarding the bolded, yeah, I doubt that. Hall was terrific in a career year but lets pump the brakes a little.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Regarding the bolded, yeah, I doubt that. Hall was terrific in a career year but lets pump the brakes a little.

The guy is the league's MVP, pretty much the only reason NJ got to the playoffs.
He also has 3 PPG seasons in lower scoring years too. Hall's the real deal. Not saying Gaudreau isn't... But I'm a Hall man, I can admit it too now that he's not a greaser either :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad