Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
l2lB3T4.gif

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Glad it's official.

Same. Doesn't matter if it's a steal in the next year or two because the Flames aren't going to be anywhere near the cap anyway. It'd have been nice if the value could've been extended a little further into what will be (we hope) the time period in which the team is competitive.

Yeah, if everything goes according to plan and Brodie continues to progress, he could be in for another major raise right in the midst of the Flames ascension and when they have to re-sign other key players.

Adding 3 more years to the contract would have significantly cost more money as it would have covered 3 more prime years. Brodie would have given up becoming a UFA during his prime years, and a team has to pay for that.

And it would have been well worth it. Even adding three years at 8M would have only taken the AAV to 5.9M. Which would still have been a bargain for a top pairing defensemen who can play in all situations, for 20-25+ minutes a night.

Consider the Bruins, who are constantly having to trade away or lose key members of their team just to stay cap compliant. Had they opted for longer term deals with some of their core, they may have had a few more years as legitimate cup favourites.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Assuming Giordano and Russell get extended, in 2016-17 we will be paying a lot to our D
Giordano 7+
Wideman 5.25
Brodie 4.65
Russell 4+
Smid 3.5
Engelland 2.917

That is 27.4+ for six D (that arent a very good quality top six d outside of Gio Brodie Russell). Basically what we will be rolling with until 2017, is everybody okay with this?

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Assuming Giordano and Russell get extended, in 2016-17 we will be paying a lot to our D
Giordano 7+
Wideman 5.25
Brodie 4.65
Russell 4+
Smid 3.5
Engelland 2.917

That is 27.4+ for six D (that arent a very good quality top six d outside of Gio Brodie Russell). Basically what we will be rolling with until 2017, is everybody okay with this?

I could see Wideman being traded, Engelland too before 2017.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Wideman is the obvious candidate to be traded away, assuming they can find a taker.

I think Smid is traded within a calender year as well though. There were rumors of him being moved last trade deadline. And with Wotherspoon and Sieloff coming up, he's very expendable.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
So now I heard that Brodie will get paid 3.9m next year. Basically, he thinks that Gio should be getting paid more than him. What a humble guy.

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC
Brodie is a $4.65M AAV. Interesting: his first year is $3.9M -- a nod to Giordano, who has one year left on his deal at $4M. (1/2)

The rest is spread out evenly over four years. There is a limited NTC and a no-move clause starting in Year III, when he becomes eligible.

Other's:

Jermain Franklin @TSNJFranklin
Treliving "This was a priority for us", "he's going to be a big building block" on Brodie #Flames

"These are hard minutes. Minutes against top players, special teams defending... Signing TJ it's a good day for us" #Flames

Treliving "I will tell you this; with this type of player in this market, the way things were going it wasn't going to get less expensive"

Shawnofthedeadz

Jan 18, 2013
So now I heard that Brodie will get paid 3.9m next year. Basically, he thinks that Gio should be getting paid more than him. What a humble guy.

Brodie is a $4.65M AAV. Interesting: his first year is $3.9M -- a nod to Giordano, who has one year left on his deal at $4M. (1/2)

Very classy move, Congratz Brodie and good job Treliving

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
And it would have been well worth it. Even adding three years at 8M would have only taken the AAV to 5.9M. Which would still have been a bargain for a top pairing defensemen who can play in all situations, for 20-25+ minutes a night.

Consider the Bruins, who are constantly having to trade away or lose key members of their team just to stay cap compliant. Had they opted for longer term deals with some of their core, they may have had a few more years as legitimate cup favourites.

I doubt the Flames wanted to risk going 8 years for a player who hasn't been an elite player for very long (and that's not a slag at Brodie, it's just a fact). Especially one who didn't have a lot of cache when he was drafted.

I wouldn't single out the Bruins. Any elite team is going to have cap issues. That's why there is a cap. No matter how good a job a GM does, he'll have to make choices if his team is great.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I doubt the Flames wanted to risk going 8 years for a player who hasn't been an elite player for very long (and that's not a slag at Brodie, it's just a fact). Especially one who didn't have a lot of cache when he was drafted.

Eh, Brodie's about as safe a bet you can make. He held his own when Giordano was out last season and even now, he's showing he can drive possession. He's plays a very cerebral, high hockey IQ type of game. It's a style that tends to improve with age, rather than suddenly decline.

I don't think this is so much about risk as opposed to Burke and by extension Treliving's philosophy on long term contracts. Which is to say, them not wanting to commit to a player for so long when things can change so quickly. Giving a player a really long term contract with a NTC/NMC is essentially equivalent to tenure, where they can just out wait coaches or GM's they might disagree with. Kind like if Wideman chooses to not to waive his NMC because he's waiting to see if Hartley is re-signed or not.

I wouldn't single out the Bruins. Any elite team is going to have cap issues. That's why there is a cap. No matter how good a job a GM does, he'll have to make choices if his team is great.

Prudent planning can mitigate those cap issues. If Brodie for example turns into a bonafide number one defensemen by the time he's 30, the Flames might be looking at having to double (or even triple) his AAV. The organization's not pressed for cap space right now but if things go according to plan in five years, they probably will be.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Like the contract and picked him up in the fanasty league today. As my defence was shattered with the injury to Hedman and Voynov suspension.
So hopefully he keeps up the great start!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad