Player Discussion Brock Boeser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
This market doesn’t deserve Boeser. Really cringy to see the takes from fans and media about Boeser every time we lose.

So you're saying being a realist means that this market doesn't deserve Boeser? That's a real hot take there man.

The fact of the matter is that he has been a passenger on his line and really hasn't been very good. Whether it was his injuries or whatever, he is not the same as rookie Boeser and I'm unsure if he will ever get there again. How many shots has he even had this playoffs?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
There's only a few ways you can acquire a legitimate top-four d-man in this league.

You either draft and develop--something the Canucks have been abysmal at with the exception of Hughes. You can try to acquire a guy as a UFA. But as we've seen, you're forced to overpay for a guy about to turn 30 and he never turns out like you expected.

Finally there's the trade route. Canucks haven't had much luck there either but you have to keep trying. So no disrespect to Boeser. But if he has to be sacrificed to acquire a desperately-needed d-man then you have to do it. After all, the winger position is one of strength for this organization, given who's in the pipeline.

Of course there's always a danger that Jimbo will identify a guy like Sbisa or Gudbranson as a trade target (they make a great first pass). But what can you do?

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
This market doesn’t deserve Boeser. Really cringy to see the takes from fans and media about Boeser every time we lose.

I think it's more that we recognize Boeser is a good player who has value, Benning has screwed up the cap situation so we're going to have to make sacrifices even though we still have holes going forward, and so putting two and two together, can we use what we have in Boeser to fix the problems we have with the team on primarily on defence while fitting in the cap that's been polluted with Benning deadweight contracts.

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC

He is a professional hockey player and one of the highest paid players on the roster, he can take the criticism if his play warrants it.

Nobody is talking about dumping him for scraps. If they can package him for a young(ish) top 4 defenseman with upside then they should definitely be considering it. He is a one-dimensional, goal-scoring winger who has struggled to create his own offense since his back injury. It is probably one of the easiest positions to replace on the roster.

They have some winger depth coming up in Podkolzin, Hoglander, Lind, Lockwood. They have very little on the back end that projects into the top 4. Edler and Tanev are not getting any younger and the team can't rely on Hughes to carry the entire load moving forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: SillyRabbit

BB06

Jun 1, 2020

Ive been a Boeser fan since forever at this point you’d have to let fandom blind you. I want him to succeed so bad but you can tell he just isn’t the same player. I don’t even think he’s lazy at times he tries really hard. Just not good enough.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Ive been a Boeser fan since forever at this point you’d have to let fandom blind you. I want him to succeed so bad but you can tell he just isn’t the same player. I don’t even think he’s lazy at times he tries really hard. Just not good enough.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
There's only a few ways you can acquire a legitimate top-four d-man in this league.

You either draft and develop--something the Canucks have been abysmal at with the exception of Hughes. You can try to acquire a guy as a UFA. But as we've seen, you're forced to overpay for a guy about to turn 30 and he never turns out like you expected.

Finally there's the trade route. Canucks haven't had much luck there either but you have to keep trying. So no disrespect to Boeser. But if he has to be sacrificed to acquire a desperately-needed d-man then you have to do it. After all, the winger position is one of strength for this organization, given who's in the pipeline.

Of course there's always a danger that Jimbo will identify a guy like Sbisa or Gudbranson as a trade target (they make a great first pass). But what can you do?

I don't think you need to be too concern since your examples was 6 years ago and 4 years ago. Also Linden is not around anymore. Benning trades and signings has gotten Better since Linden left.

Reactions: Indiana

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Looks stuck in the mud, sluggish and a complete none factor. Just isn’t the same player we saw in his rookie year, that kid was dynamic had an incredible shot and was trending to being a star. That back injury has really done a number on him

This is coming from someone with his jersey, his hockey DB stats and analytics look good because he plays with a superstar in Pettersson.

Selling high on this player would be the smartest thing this team could do, he is the Jordan Eberle of this team.
This.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Boeser reminds me of the Sedins a bit. Just a half-step behind at this stage of his career.

Needs to really work on his strength, stamina and quickness. He is getting fatigued easily it seems. All are correctable things that he can evolve out of. There's no doubt that back injury has played a significant role - just a freak injury from an asshole play.

Just a bit quicker and he's a regular 30-30+ player who is adequate (or better) defensively.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Boeser reminds me of the Sedins a bit. Just a half-step behind at this stage of his career.

Needs to really work on his strength, stamina and quickness. He is getting fatigued easily it seems. All are correctable things that he can evolve out of. There's no doubt that back injury has played a significant role - just a freak injury from an asshole play.

Just a bit quicker and he's a regular 30-30+ player who is adequate (or better) defensively.

This.

Needs to be a bit quicker/more explosive, to play his game effectively in the playoffs where there is less time and space.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
for what he can be he's still my favourite player on this team

but man, i don't think it's just a matter of him being a step behind the play or being too deep in his head, though he is both. you watch him and he's been trying really really hard, even in the games where everybody wants him shot out of a cannon and into a volcano. but this is a player with terrible fundamentals when the puck isn't on his stick. he just doesn't know where his stick should be to disrupt passing lanes, how to get his body against the boards to hold the zone on a clear, how to lift a guy's stick at just the right moment or tap the puck away on the backcheck.

these are all things petey does masterfully, and quinn too. when those two put on man strength, they will have elite takeaway numbers like ROR and stone, or in quinn's case prime ryan suter. i just wonder whether it's too late for boeser to learn those instincts and muscle memory that petey and quinn have been getting hundreds of reps in on every single day for the last 10-15 years.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Boeser is actually extremely strong. Dude was so heavy on the puck today. Legit won almost all his board battles. Where the f*** was that?

I noticed this too, I didn’t think he had it in him.

The obvious, justified, concern is about his shot. He doesn’t seem to be willing to use it, are those days gone now?

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Had himself a hell of a game,
I feel like we want more out of him because he’s so damn talented but we forgot the fact that he’s so young and playing his first ever nhl playoff.
Not everyone is on peteys level and it’s totally fine.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
At the end of the day, he’s paid to produce and he hasn’t done that in this series at all. He’s looked better the last two games but matter of the fact is, he’s not paid to just look good out there.

Pettersson is setting the bar high for the other young players. The others need to prove they can keep up. So far, I don’t think Boeser has kept up as much as the others.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
We all want Boeser on the top PP for the one timer, but if he doesn’t use it, then what’s the point? Almost seems like that’s why he’s not there. He did it once vs STL. Brock isn’t shooting like he was in his rookie year and it’s not just not the same.

I think everyone can see that.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
We all want Boeser on the top PP for the one timer, but if he doesn’t use it, then what’s the point? Almost seems like that’s why he’s not there. He did it once vs STL. Brock isn’t shooting like he was in his rookie year and it’s not just not the same.

I think everyone can see that.

After watching Miller trying to force passes and make dumb plays, I think Boeser might be the better fit on the opposite side of EP, he’s an underrated passer.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
After watching Miller trying to force passes and make dumb plays, I think Boeser might be the better fit on the opposite side of EP, he’s an underrated passer.
I think part of Boesers issue is hes "conflicted".

He been touted as a shoot first guy and he is but his shot is gone. He is however not only a good passer but a good playmaker.

He needs to find some balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad