Brock Boeser - Part II (Catchy Nickname in Progress) (Warning Post #422)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
While I'd have to see the whole list to comment in full, I would definitely rank Nick Ritchie ahead of Boeser right now. Ritchie is trying to break into the NHL, much like Virtanen. Boeser is ways away yet from even being a pro player. Eriksson-EK also played in the SHL during his draft year. So it has to be judged across the level of competition involved.

I never use NHL "readiness" as a factor in ranking prospects, as that is more a function of age and opportunity than prospect value. Ditto for the pro vs amateur argument. I prefer precedence in terms of production, skill set, etc. Ek may be playing at a higher level but I don't think has performed at anything resembling a 'special' level at that level. And NCAA is a very high level too and one that is notoriously hard on Freshmen.

Besides, they had no problem ranking Connor (9) and White (15) very high based on their play in NCAA.

Just smells of laziness and relying on WJC and draft position to slot these rankings.

Skriko

Jul 27, 2014
Well, player like Jamie Benn was on THN Future watch #33 ranked player (31 goals in 37games when they did their ranking on that year). P.K Subban was #69(Boeser age), Max Pacioretty #37 (20 year old), Ryan McDonagh #37 (19 year old), North Dakota's T.J Oshie #21 (when he was 21 year old), Tyler Toffoli #39 (after 57 goals in OHL), Cory Schneider #38 (when he was 20 year old), Claude Giroux #44 (19 year old)... I think that those rankings are interesting to read, but they are prospects for a reason and those rankings don't tell anything to players future.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I never use NHL "readiness" as a factor in ranking prospects, as that is more a function of age and opportunity than prospect value. Ditto for the pro vs amateur argument. I prefer precedence in terms of production, skill set, etc. Ek may be playing at a higher level but I don't think has performed at anything resembling a 'special' level at that level. And NCAA is a very high level too and one that is notoriously hard on Freshmen.

Besides, they had no problem ranking Connor (9) and White (15) very high based on their play in NCAA.

Just smells of laziness and relying on WJC and draft position to slot these rankings.

There's no way the NCAA is on the level of the SHL. That argument needs to stop there. Ek doesn't need to be "special" at that level to compare.

Next, propping up Ritchie when compared to Boeser is not about readiness, but about properly evaluating what one is seeing given the differences in contexts. I project Ritchie to be the better player. His current struggles at the NHL level do not take away from that perception.

The arguments about Connor and White being ranked much higher are quite fair. That's the place the critique can really begin.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
There's no way the NCAA is on the level of the SHL. That argument needs to stop there. Ek doesn't need to be "special" at that level to compare.

Next, propping up Ritchie when compared to Boeser is not about readiness, but about properly evaluating what one is seeing given the differences in contexts. I project Ritchie to be the better player. His current struggles at the NHL level do not take away from that perception.

The arguments about Connor and White being ranked much higher are quite fair. That's the place the critique can really begin.

I got to get a real good look at Ritchie when he played for the Soo last year.

I also get to watch Boeser real well this year.

If we are matching up draft +1 years I was way more impressed with Boeser then I am with Ritchie.

Ritchie only has tools over Boeser, skill wise Boeser is on another level.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Those rankings are influenced by the draft position.

I certainly wouldn't trade Boeser for Ritchie.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I know peeps here don't like to hear it... but that ranking reflects his skating.
Obviously isn't his skill or his production levels.

Its his only con... but is a significant one at this point.

He's got time.. can't wait to see how he looks at Youngstars this yr. .. IF he decides to sign.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I would love to get Boeser to pro as soon as possible. He's already shredded college. What else does he need to do there? Learn the pro game and the defensive side.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I got to get a real good look at Ritchie when he played for the Soo last year.

I also get to watch Boeser real well this year.

If we are matching up draft +1 years I was way more impressed with Boeser then I am with Ritchie.

Ritchie only has tools over Boeser, skill wise Boeser is on another level.

Boeser's skill is on another level when compared to Ritchie? I don't think so.

What Boeser has been able to do in his draft +1 year is more impressive, true. He's in record setting form right now. That doesn't belie each player's projection though. Long-term, I still think Ritchie will be the better player.

If Ritchie had a more seamless transition to the NHL, this wouldn't be in question IMO. It's because he's struggled with his conditioning that his previous work in the OHL and AHL is being overshadowed. Currently, he is the leading PPG player (rate) on the Gulls (20 year old season). His OHL production ranged from 1.21 to 1.29 (very good) as well. He's shown good overall progression wherever he has gone.

I think the recency of data (what each player is doing right now) is colouring perceptions here. At any other point, Boeser wouldn't be recognized within the same tier.

Those rankings are influenced by the draft position.

I certainly wouldn't trade Boeser for Ritchie.

You are welcome to that opinion, of course. Let's see how it plays out.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

That's a half argument Bleach and one I'm surprised you are pursuing. Playing at a higher level is a function of circumstance, not prospect value. Jacob de la Rose put up similar numbers in his D+1 at the SHL and isn't necessarily performing better than players drafted out of the CHL or college. If players playing at the highest level is the only or even main criteria for rankings, then AHL, KHL, and SHL players should dominate the top 20 and CHL and college should litter the bottom 30. It doesn't work that way, obviously.

I recall you were very high on Ritchie at the draft so I guess I have to consider that is where you are coming from. For me it is a case of comparing where Ritchie was at D+1 in the OHL and Boeser this season and to me there is no comparison. Certainly you can factor in Ritchie's strong AHL season but then you should equally factor in his slow production at the NHL level. While production isn't everything, it does weigh in heavily when it is at an elite level like Connor and, yes, Boeser.

I personally wouldn't trade Boeser for Ritchie at this point.

Fair. I actually think they are ranked fairly relative to their seasons, it is just the gap to Boeser that seems wrong.

Ah well, it's not worth killing billions of electrons over, just thought it was puzzling when I read it. In the end we all know Boeser's fate isn't tied to lists and internet chatter, so I suppose it is much ado about nothing.

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
Horrible feeling he signs with Minnesota after completing his 4th year of college and turning UFA.

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
Horrible feeling he signs with Minnesota after completing his 4th year of college and turning UFA.

Players of Boeser's caliber pretty well never stay in college for 4 years, it won't happen.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Given his success as a FR I find it very hard to see him playing 3 additional years of college when he'll be staring at an NHL contract offer following his SOPH year.

I mean, he *can* choose to stay for all 4 years but most guys that do I think do so because they aren't ready for the NHL before their 4th year. By the time they get to their 4th year, the option is "NHL now" vs "Any team I want in 1 year". Then the UFA route gets more tempting. But for Boeser to consciously turn down NHL money for 2 years, not to mention burning off his RFA 2 years early, that would take a tremendous amount of desire to go to Minnesota.

Don't see it happening.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Well apparently being 1 goal away from the best Fr season at one of the best NCAA schools didn't impress the folks over at Hockey News. Spent (wasted really) $2.99 to download their Future Watch issue and was fairly surprised to see Boeser all the way down at #36 on their list behind such luminaries as Nick Ritchie (11), Eriksson-Ek (23), his own lower scoring linemate Schmaltz (26), AHL dud Anthony Mantha (27), Gurianov (34), and fellow collegiate Jake Walman (35)

Was waffling over whether to pick up the digital issue as their coverage seems so poor compared to what is available for free these days but I've followed their lists since the mid-90's. Probably be the last one for me though, as I can't fathom any reason for such a low ranking, especially over such 'meh' competition.

Mantha ahead of Boeser doesn't make the slightest bit of sense. Just bizarre.

I'm curious where they have Jacob Larsson. I've been very impressed with his game in the SHL this season, and he's probably the one guy I would be okay with taking over Boeser in hindsight.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site

I'm curious where they have Jacob Larsson. I've been very impressed with his game in the SHL this season, and he's probably the one guy I would be okay with taking over Boeser in hindsight.

I have been impressed with him too.

Anaheim is becoming the new defensemen factory. Just churning out high end defensive prospects like nobody's business.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Larsson was 50.

*Edit: Mantha also strikes me as a "reputation" ranking rather than a hard assessment of his performance to-date. Hell, Shinkaruk is having a better year and isn't even ranked. Again production isn't everything but there is nothing about Mantha in the past 2 years that makes him seem like one of the 30 best prospects in the world.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Given his success as a FR I find it very hard to see him playing 3 additional years of college when he'll be staring at an NHL contract offer following his SOPH year.

I mean, he *can* choose to stay for all 4 years but most guys that do I think do so because they aren't ready for the NHL before their 4th year. By the time they get to their 4th year, the option is "NHL now" vs "Any team I want in 1 year". Then the UFA route gets more tempting. But for Boeser to consciously turn down NHL money for 2 years, not to mention burning off his RFA 2 years early, that would take a tremendous amount of desire to go to Minnesota.

Don't see it happening.

Here's hoping this is the case. It helps too that he's not at a Harvard or Yale or any of those schools where the degree is a huge part of why they would take a scholarship there. Not taking anything away from a diploma from ND but in comparison to the other big name schools it's just not as impressive. Could you imagine if we got both Demko and Boeser signed this year and both play in Utica next year. We would finally have something to be excited about. McCann and Boeser playing 1 year in Utica next year together could be magic in the making.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
@beachclean (in class so I can't edit)

From what I've seen from both Ritchie and boeser I am pretty confident saying that boeser is much more skilled than Ritchie. Ritchie has all the physical tools to become a lucic type but in terms of raw skill and ability I'd rate boeser on a different

When Ritchie played in the soo he rarely dominated the game like boeser is able to do now.

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver

It's a fair concern but one other positive thing is that from what I understand Linden has been paying him personal visits, sometimes in these situations it's party about the player cashing in and having choice but also maybe not having the ongoing hands on presence from the organization that drafted them and ultimately after years going by not feeling any attachment to that organization.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
That's a half argument Bleach and one I'm surprised you are pursuing. Playing at a higher level is a function of circumstance, not prospect value. Jacob de la Rose put up similar numbers in his D+1 at the SHL and isn't necessarily performing better than players drafted out of the CHL or college. If players playing at the highest level is the only or even main criteria for rankings, then AHL, KHL, and SHL players should dominate the top 20 and CHL and college should litter the bottom 30. It doesn't work that way, obviously.

You're still misinterpreting the argument I am making. I'm not saying 'first to {insert better league}' = better prospect. No, I'm saying that for the prospects putting up mediocre numbers in better leagues, it's hard to judge them straight across to prospects putting up great numbers in lesser leagues.

I recall you were very high on Ritchie at the draft so I guess I have to consider that is where you are coming from. For me it is a case of comparing where Ritchie was at D+1 in the OHL and Boeser this season and to me there is no comparison. Certainly you can factor in Ritchie's strong AHL season but then you should equally factor in his slow production at the NHL level. While production isn't everything, it does weigh in heavily when it is at an elite level like Connor and, yes, Boeser.

I personally wouldn't trade Boeser for Ritchie at this point.

How can you compare things so readily across contexts? What evaluation tools are you using? NHLE? The peculiar quirk in this discussion is that there is no OHL baseline with which to compare an NCAA player. Nothing reaching significance anyway. Even though Boeser is not assured to be any better than TJ Oshie... Or, that Ritchie tracked exactly like Landeskog by his pre-draft numbers -- even though his OHL numbers were not 'record setting' by comparison. Edit: We cannot accurately compare the two via production alone.

The recency of data is colouring things here. Boeser is having an outstanding year, while Ritchie is struggling to adjust to the NHL game at 20 years of age.

Side question for you: You would 'equally factor' 3 seasons (Draft + Draft(+1) + AHL) of very good production to a 22 game poor production NHL sample? I'd like to hear your rationale for this.

@beachclean (in class so I can't edit)

From what I've seen from both Ritchie and boeser I am pretty confident saying that boeser is much more skilled than Ritchie. Ritchie has all the physical tools to become a lucic type but in terms of raw skill and ability I'd rate boeser on a different

When Ritchie played in the soo he rarely dominated the game like boeser is able to do now.

Do you compare OHL and NCAA competition straight across? Did you see Ritchie with the Petes? Particularly, in the playoffs? He put that team on his back.

I've seen Ritchie. I saw Boeser last year, not this year. I'm quite confident in saying that you are underrating Ritchie's skill level (and overrating Boeser's own by comparison).

To bring this back to the ground a little bit: Do you consider Oshie and/or Toews to have 'elite' skill? Further, do you project Boeser to have more natural talent than the aforementioned?

Last edited:

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
That's okay, I think THN had Cody Hodgson as #2 back in 2009 ;)

And I'm pretty sure Ben Hutton wasn't even on their radar.

I always find it a good read regardless of where our guys are, but it's quite influenced by draft order and the opinions of a handful of writers.

30whales

Oct 18, 2011
I really don't want you guys taking both Stecher and Boeser this year so can you pick one or the other or preferably neither?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Players of Boeser's caliber pretty well never stay in college for 4 years, it won't happen.

Yes, ironically when your NHL team sucks, it's actually easier to sign your college draft picks....there's a much better chance of an early arrival in the NHL and big money,and less time in the AHL on an ELC.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I really don't want you guys taking both Stecher and Boeser this year so can you pick one or the other or preferably neither?

Management is on record as saying that Boeser will stay at UND for another year, so don't worry too much about him

But Stecher... :naughty:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
You're still misinterpreting the argument I am making. I'm not saying 'first to {insert better league}' = better prospect. No, I'm saying that for the prospects putting up mediocre numbers in better leagues, it's hard to judge them straight across to prospects putting up great numbers in lesser leagues.

Fair point in that it is definitely 'harder' to make comparisons across disparate leagues, yet it is done all the time and I think more often than not, it is done reasonably well.

The issue comes down to precedent and pegging production against these comparables. Boeser's comps at this point are in different level than Eriksson-Ek's are.

Or if you prefer, we can use NHLe to give us a reasonable 'sense' of how their production compares:

Boeser -> 34 NHLe points (using .33 NCAA to NHL adjustment)

Eriksson-Ek -> 18 NHLe points (using .59 SHL to NHL adjustment)

http://hockeyanalytics.com/Research_files/League_Equivalencies.pdf

That isn't a small gap even factoring in the much higher SHL conversion.

How can you compare things so readily across contexts? What evaluation tools are you using? NHLE? The peculiar quirk in this discussion is that there is no OHL baseline with which to compare an NCAA player. Nothing reaching significance anyway. Even though Boeser is not assured to be any better than TJ Oshie... Or, that Ritchie tracked exactly like Landeskog by his pre-draft numbers -- even though his OHL numbers were not 'record setting' by comparison.

Well again we *can* use NHLe as a proxy to help in this discussion. The article I linked above rates the OHL to NHL at 0.3, which is on par (slightly lower) than the NCAA rate of 0.33. Even if we take the OHL and NCAA at par, Boeser's D+1 scoring rate of 1.26 is on par with Ritchie's D+1 rate of 1.29. This would support ranking Boeser much closer to Ritchie (#11) than where he was (#36)

The recency of data is colouring things here. Boeser is having an outstanding year, while Ritchie is struggling to adjust to the NHL game at 20 years of age.

Perhaps. Recency is a difficult bias to completely overcome. That said, I find Boeser's production in NCAA more 'historically rare' than Ritchie's production in the OHL. That uses precedent and comparables, something I know you have argued for in the past in other draft and prospect discussions. I think it is fair to factor that in here as well.

Side question for you: You would 'equally factor' 3 seasons (Draft + Draft(+1) + AHL) of very good production to a 22 game poor production NHL sample? I'd like to hear your rationale for this.

No, I would put much more weight on his D+1 and AHL season than his brief NHL stint. The NHL stint is only meant as a 'caution' to getting overly caught up in his very strong AHL production. I think his 'true' value lies between his low NHL production and his impressive AHL production. Similar to how Kassian put up nearly PPG in his first year in the A (albeit as a D+2), I think Ritchie has made a quick transition to the AHL level but this may not carry over fully to the NHL level.

But I am fine ignoring his NHL stint so far and focussing just on D+1 for both Boeser and Ritchie. Using that comparison alone, Boeser is easily at Ritchie's level, if not even above it. The AHL is a point in Ritchie's favour, but one that we can't see a comparable in Boeser (yet).

Do you compare OHL and NCAA competition straight across? Did you see Ritchie with the Petes? Particularly, in the playoffs? He put that team on his back.

I've seen Ritchie. I saw Boeser last year, not this year. I'm quite confident in saying that you are underrating Ritchie's skill level (and overrating Boeser's own by comparison).

To bring this back to the ground a little bit: Do you consider Oshie and/or Toews to have 'elite' skill? Further, do you project Boeser to have more natural talent than the aforementioned?

Yes I would compare OHL and NCAA straight across. NHLe supports this and I think the quality of talent to come out of both leagues suggests they are close. Of course Boeser is on the young side for NCAA, while Ritchie was on the old side for OHL. But I will give that Ritchie's play as a young AHLer probably negates this.

Am I underrating Ritchie and overrating Boeser by suggesting they should be ranked equally (or at least much much closer)? I don't think so, with my reasons for that explained above.

Do I consider Toews to have 'elite' skill? Yes. Not necessarily on par with other 'elite' players - say Crosby or McDavid - but in the pantheon of 600+ NHL players? Yes absolutely. Oshie is very skilled as well, though perhaps a notch below 'elite'. Still higher natural 'skill' than I would peg Ritchie at. I don't know that Boeser is more 'skilled' than either Toews or Oshie - those are lofty comparables - but I think it might be possible. He is certainly showing a pedigree that is in their vicinity so far. Of course he may not translate as well to the NHL as Toews and Oshie did, so that is hard to project. But so far there is a chance at least.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad