Brock Boeser Hat trick

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Back to Boeser, but you don't have to be a burner to be a star in this league. Look at Pavelski. If your other attributes/skills are above average/good/great you can make an impact.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
He's bungled some trades and made some poor draft picks but he's also made some very smart trades and walked away from the draft table with some absolute steals. If you're expecting perfection from a new GM, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. The Canucks have a top 5 prospect pool in the NHL, which is saying a lot considering they had a bottom 5 prospect pool when Benning inherited the team.

The book has yet to be written on Jim Benning. You'll see.

Top 5 prospect pool? Is that your opinion or do you have a source for that? Lots of teams have good prospects

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
A lot of talk about Boesers game last night and justifiably so. But Horvat was a beast on all four goals. And Baertschi made some smart plays.
If that line continues to improve it's going to be an exciting season.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Top 5 prospect pool? Is that your opinion or do you have a source for that? Lots of teams have good prospects

It's easily top 10, lots of our best prospects have had excellent starts. Pettersson is the leading scorer for the best team in the SHL. Gaudette has been tearing up the NCAA. Lind was on a 2PPG pace in the CHL at one point. Even Juolevi seems to be finding his game in Finland.

Things are looking up. We just need a few more pieces.

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
With regards to Benning, I agree that if you look at players that have graduated to the nhl in Keller, Nylander, Tkachuk, and Sergachev, that it’s easy to call him a failure... other gms passed on these players too.

But in reality, it’s still early. Let all these players develop and make team contributions before rendering who was the better picks.

Also, I think you do have to look at what he’s done outside the first round...

Demko (future starter)
Gaudette (future top 6)
Lind (future top 6)
Tryamkin (if he comes back, future top 4 D)
Lockwood (future top 9)
Gadjovic (future top 9, PP net presence)
Dipietro

Undradted Free agent signings..

Stecher
Chatfield
MacEwen

Trades for..

Baertschi
Granlund
Pouliot
Goldobin
Dahlen
Gudbranson

And still very, very good prospects with...

Boeser... top line
Pettersson... top line
Juolevi... top 4
Virtanen... top 9

Yes like every gm, there are drafting, trading, and free agent errors. Some of us including myself felt obvious errors in Virtanen,and Juolevi. I personally wanted Nylander and Sergachev in those spots.

But all in all, when you look at the pool of players he’s brought in, and the current way the team is playing, the future that HE is building looks pretty good. Nothing cap breaking, this is going to be a balanced team that should be able to stay together for years.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Excellent start to the season for Boeser but we have to expect other teams will begin to start focusing more on him and taking his space away

Weather hes TRULY gonna be a superstar in this league will be if he continues to produce once his space is taken away

IMO he will be a superstar because hes quiet smart and knows how to find space out of nothing PLUS his stick handling is INSANE. His shot is fantastic but you can tell he hasnt yet got it to where he can make it so i think theres still a few levels of improvement for him

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
A few days before the season I changed my mind and took Boeser instead of Shipachyov in my pool. I don't think that could have worked out any better.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
It's easily top 10, lots of our best prospects have had excellent starts. Pettersson is the leading scorer for the best team in the SHL. Gaudette has been tearing up the NCAA. Lind was on a 2PPG pace in the CHL at one point. Even Juolevi seems to be finding his game in Finland.

Things are looking up. We just need a few more pieces.
+Demko being named AHL goaltender of the month, DiPietro having a strong start to his season with the Spitfires, Goldobin tearing up the AHL, Dahlen continuing to impress, and Palmu having a decent start to his pro career.

I think there's an argument for our prospect pool being top 10.

Rydgar

Jul 15, 2010
Surrey, BC
I wonder why? Maybe other teams have had players graduate early like Tkachuk, Sergachev, Keller. The one good thing he's done is not trade his 1st round pick but then again he's traded more picks than accumulated throughout the years.

2014 Virtanen, McCann
2015 Boeser
2016 Juolevi
2017 Pettersson

Yup definitely a mastermind. High picks/deep drafts batting below 50-50. There's no other GM as worse except Bergevin

Okay, take away the first rounders from the Benning and Gillis era and you still end up with a better prospect pool in 3/4 years of Benning compared to 5 years of Gillis's drafting. The ONLY notable prospect Gillis drafted was Hutton. 5 years of drafting and only Hutton to show for outside of the first round. In comparison, Bennings picks of Demko, Tryamkin (voted top Dman of the month in the KHL), Gaudette (one of the top NCAA scorers), Lind (is around 2 PPG in CHL) look more promising than anything Gillis ever drafted outside of the first round.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Okay, take away the first rounders from the Benning and Gillis era and you still end up with a better prospect pool in 3/4 years of Benning compared to 5 years of Gillis's drafting. The ONLY notable prospect Gillis drafted was Hutton. 5 years of drafting and only Hutton to show for outside of the first round. In comparison, Bennings picks of Demko, Tryamkin (voted top Dman of the month in the KHL), Gaudette (one of the top NCAA scorers), Lind (is around 2 PPG in CHL) look more promising than anything Gillis ever drafted outside of the first round.

Edit: Just saw the note. Sorry.

Master Radishes

Nov 29, 2011
Regardless of who drafted them, can we please learn from history and stop overrating prospects too soon?

Also, I think you do have to look at what he’s done outside the first round...

Demko (future starter)
Gaudette (future top 6)
Lind (future top 6)

Tryamkin (if he comes back, future top 4 D)
Lockwood (future top 9)
Gadjovic (future top 9, PP net presence)
Dipietro

Undradted Free agent signings..

Stecher
Chatfield
MacEwen
Gaudette and Lind have had good starts to this season, and look like future NHLers in some capacity so far, but neither are suddenly future top 6ers. Lockwood and Gadjovic aren't even guaranteed to make the NHL. And DiPietro wouldn't be the first or last goalie to look good in junior and fail to make it. Etc etc.

I'm excited to see Boeser, Horvat, Petterson, et. al. look so good this year, but there are so many names from the past ten or fifteen years that we Nucks fans were 'sure' would be part of out future core and never made it. Same as every fanbase. Fact is, the majority of prospects do not make it to the big league, even the ones who look to have high potential the year after being drafted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad