Player Discussion Brock Boeser | Still Unsigned

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 290103

That's the problem - he NEEDS Pettersson. I can't justify paying a player 7M (which I'm sure he'll start at for his next contract) for a player that can't drive a line. Many players can look good with Pettersson...Pettersson has carried basically everyone he's had on his line and made them looked good. Boeser doesn't look as dominate as he did last year. His shot doesn't look as good, he's still fairly slow and it shows when he plays 3 on 3.

I would be pushing to get him signed for somewhere around 5.5M, but both sides likely settling at 6M.

How do you explain last year then? He seemed to perform last year without Pettersson. I agree his game has dropped off this year a bit, but he is coming of a pretty serious injury that ended his season last year and he has had other issues.

Brock is not a guy that is ever going to drive a line. He's a sniper - a shooter. That said, guys like him are not easy to find. I think the backlash for this player this year is a bit puzzling. He's on near 40 goal pace this year extrapolated to 82 games. Pretty much the same as last year - without Pettersson.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I am not confortable giving him a 7 year contract yet.
I would like to see him for a few more years before we go all in.
A bridge deal is fine with me.
If we do have to go 7-8 years, anything under 7m is fine

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
How do you explain last year then? He seemed to perform last year without Pettersson. I agree his game has dropped off this year a bit, but he is coming of a pretty serious injury that ended his season last year and he has had other issues.

Brock is not a guy that is ever going to drive a line. He's a sniper - a shooter. That said, guys like him are not easy to find. I think the backlash for this player this year is a bit puzzling. He's on near 40 goal pace this year extrapolated to 82 games. Pretty much the same as last year - without Pettersson.

I’m not fully in the camp that Pettersson is carrying him because last year is still fresh in my mind that Boeser can be dominant. He just looks off as I said in my other post above which is why others are also a bit disgruntled. His shot looks off as well.

No denying him and Pettersson have great chemistry.

member 290103

I’m not fully in the camp that Pettersson is carrying him because last year is still fresh in my mind that Boeser can be dominant. He just looks off as I said in my other post above which is why others are also a bit disgruntled. His shot looks off as well.

No denying him and Pettersson have great chemistry.

Absolutely. The really do. I will agree with you that he does not look like the same player as last year. No question.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Absolutely. The really do. I will agree with you that he does not look like the same player as last year. No question.

He’s still producing at a really good clip, but would just like to see him drive the play a bit more. Just don’t want him to get in the habit of becoming a passenger all the time.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Boeser was on a 70 point pace last season and he's doing the same this year. It's actually very impressive considering he had near career ending injury last season and is now the focal point for the opposition's D

Reactions: Jay Cee

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He has to decide what kind of player he’s going to be.

He can keep doing what he’s doing and he’ll have a nice career as a new-age Ray Sheppard who can put up 30 goals in his sleep with an elite center but is a defensive liability, doesn’t move his feet, and doesn’t compete.

Or he can bust his ass, get his nose a bit dirty working in all 3 zones, try to drive the play instead of waiting for it to come to him, and with his natural talent he’ll be a perennial All-Star.

For the last year he’s been going the wrong way.

Not saying he has to win a Selke, but he has to at least move his feet and compete for pucks at a serviceable level.

Reactions: Cupless44

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Can't believe people are down on Boeser.

Last year Boeser scored a pile of goals on the PP. One area of the game where the canucks clearly miss the Twins are the PP.

Even as good as Pettersson is, he can't clone himself and move the puck like the Sedins do. Sedins ability to draw the opposing pkers and give Boeser a free lane to shoot made a huge difference.

Its hard to score in the NHL, much more so when the PP is struggling and it drains on you. If anything I'm surprised how well all 3 of Pettersson/Boeser/Horvat have produced considering how bad the PP has been.

Look at all the things going against Boeser:

1. 2nd year in the NHL, where teams now have a book on you and know more of his tendencies.

2. aforementioned, a struggling PP, and IMO the weak link is Alex Edler, he should not the PP QB for any NHL team. Hopefully this is where Hughes can help.

3. A serious back injury last year and missed a lot of games. Probably limit his training time etc..

4. Another groin injury to start the year.

5. He's also playing mostly with new linemates this year in Pettersson.

I'm surprised more people aren't excited about their growing chemistry. We have seen 2 5-point nights from Petterson, and both times it was with Boeser. Both players seem to benefit greatly from playing together. Petterson got his hattrick in Ottawa, 2 nice feeds from Boeser.

With that said, Boeser isn't a top 5 player like Petey, probably never will be. Thats fine.

If Pettersson is like a Sakic, then Boeser is more like Hejduk.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Can't believe people are down on Boeser.

Last year Boeser scored a pile of goals on the PP. One area of the game where the canucks clearly miss the Twins are the PP.

Even as good as Pettersson is, he can't clone himself and move the puck like the Sedins do. Sedins ability to draw the opposing pkers and give Boeser a free lane to shoot made a huge difference.

Its hard to score in the NHL, much more so when the PP is struggling and it drains on you. If anything I'm surprised how well all 3 of Pettersson/Boeser/Horvat have produced considering how bad the PP has been.

Look at all the things going against Boeser:

1. 2nd year in the NHL, where teams now have a book on you and know more of his tendencies.

2. aforementioned, a struggling PP, and IMO the weak link is Alex Edler, he should not the PP QB for any NHL team. Hopefully this is where Hughes can help.

3. A serious back injury last year and missed a lot of games. Probably limit his training time etc..

4. Another groin injury to start the year.

5. He's also only played with Pettersson for what 25-30 games, probably less that that considering Pettersson and Boeser were split up at the beginning.

On that point, I'm surprised more people aren't excited about their growing chemistry. We have seen 2 5-point nights from Petterson, and both times it was with Boeser. Both players seem to benefit greatly from playing together. Petterson got his hattrick in Ottawa, 2 nice feeds from Boeser. Boeser hattrick in St.Louis, Petey's 5 point night.

With that said, Boeser isn't a top 5 player like Petey, probably never will be. Thats fine.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
ahmon said:

Hejduk is what Boeser should aspire to. But he’s nowhere near that right now.

Hejduk was a ‘soft skill goalscorer’ but worked his ass off to improve defensively and by his 3rd or 4th season was an above-average defensive winger. Obviously was never going to be a ‘gritty’ guy but he competed and battled for pucks and skated hard and picked up his checks.

That’s what Boeser needs to work his ass off at improving. Tonight he was a full-blown Controller Disconnected Ovechkin.

Reactions: Dissonance Jr

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Fair point about his production. It's good to know that he can come back and do it again. He's a 1RW and proving it.

That said, when fans scrutinize the few players they have at the top of the heap, the bar becomes that much higher. The stronger they are, the stronger the team is. Yes, he scores. Yes, he has faced injury challenges. And yes, the PP is worse. Even so, the expectation is that he rounds out his game.

Remember, he was better defensively last year. Few are critiquing the offense in either year.

To me, it's completely fair to say he's mailing in his 200 ft. game right now. He didn't do that last year.

Reactions: travis scott

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Lol 7m? I would give him 8 if thAts what it takes to get him signed long term. I would obviously try to negotiate a lesser deal though.

He still has some areas where he needs to improve but I think after finally being healthy he will improve in those areas. He’s too competitive and too hard of a worker not to.

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009
Curious to see how Matthews' contract impacts Boeser's.

Obviously this is a pretty high level comparison, but assuming the exact same term, and only going off this year's stats, Boeser's value could be estimated to be ~ 75% of Matthews:

GPGoalsAssistsPtsG/PGP/PG
Matthews382323460.6052631.210526
Boeser401818360.450.9
Boeser %74%74%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
If Matthews contract is a valid comparable, then at 75% Boeser's cap hit would be close to $9M...

% Value100%90%85.0%80.0%75.0%70.0%
Cap Hit11.610.449.869.288.78.12
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Duodenum

Jul 7, 2008
East Vancouver

Obviously this is a pretty high level comparison, but assuming the exact same term, and only going off this year's stats, Boeser's value could be estimated to be ~ 75% of Matthews:

Boeser401818360.450.9
Boeser %74%74%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
If Matthews contract is a valid comparable, then at 75% Boeser's cap hit would be close to $9M...

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Throw in the difference in value between a winger and a center and their respective defensive capabilities as well and the cap hit should fall further.

The contract that hurts the Canucks is Nylander's. 6.9 million is essentially the baseline for Boeser to work off of. I think he'll end up just under 8.

Last edited:

vanarchy

May 3, 2013

Boeser401818360.450.9
Boeser %74%74%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I don’t see a valid comparison just based on position alone.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I am not confortable giving him a 7 year contract yet.
I would like to see him for a few more years before we go all in.
A bridge deal is fine with me.
If we do have to go 7-8 years, anything under 7m is fine
Since we can afford the cap space in the next 2 years, probably best to roll the dice and do term with Brock. Saving a couple million per on a bridge then paying more later when Peter gets his 8 figure deal probably not a wise move.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Not confident in giving him an 8 year contract. Having liked his effort or compete, and even if you’re great offensively you need to try harder defensively. Wouldn’t mind some Travis Green “tough love” for Boeser once we’re a little more out of it.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Boeser and Pettersson together are amazing together, they’re scoring at a 75 GF% together which is prime Sedin like.

Both players are worse without the other, I think Boeser has been good the last ~10 games. I’d be willing to give him 7 million long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad