Player Discussion Brock Boeser | Still Unsigned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Brock doesn't want the puck on his stick because his puck handling is average and not very good when he's going fast.

Brock needs a set up man and Horvat isn't him.
Agree, which is why I don’t think we should pay him about 6.5.

Although I have to say, despite his average handling skill, his passing and vision is really underrated.

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
I said last year his hands, passing and speed all needed to get better... and hes actually gotten worse in these areas

Anything over 5M is a overpayment

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I said last year his hands, passing and speed all needed to get better... and hes actually gotten worse in these areas

Uhh..
6m is fine, it will become the new 50 pts player average cap hit soon in a few seasons.
Which I believe Brock is more than that

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Id give him 6.5 as well all day every day.

He needs to work on pivoting and turning in terms of skating. He loses speed or control whenever he tries to do a 180 also know as the quinn Hughes special

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Man Im surprised at the reaction on Boeser here... He's still PPG by the looks of it... He should pump up the points whey Peteys back

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver

Huh? You do realize the cap is at 80 million and when seattle comes in itll probably get up to 85 minimum. This isnt 06 when it was at like 50

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Man Im surprised at the reaction on Boeser here... He's still PPG by the looks of it... He should pump up the points whey Peteys back

That's the problem - he NEEDS Pettersson. I can't justify paying a player 7M (which I'm sure he'll start at for his next contract) for a player that can't drive a line. Many players can look good with Pettersson...Pettersson has carried basically everyone he's had on his line and made them looked good. Boeser doesn't look as dominate as he did last year. His shot doesn't look as good, he's still fairly slow and it shows when he plays 3 on 3.

I would be pushing to get him signed for somewhere around 5.5M, but both sides likely settling at 6M.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
That's the problem - he NEEDS Pettersson. I can't justify paying a player 7M (which I'm sure he'll start at for his next contract) for a player that can't drive a line. Many players can look good with Pettersson...Pettersson has carried basically everyone he's had on his line and made them looked good. Boeser doesn't look as dominate as he did last year. His shot doesn't look as good, he's still fairly slow and it shows when he plays 3 on 3.

I would be pushing to get him signed for somewhere around 5.5M, but both sides likely settling at 6M.
So what made him so good last year? Just flying under the radar as a rookie? I honestly didn't get to watch too many games of his

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
Huh? You do realize the cap is at 80 million and when seattle comes in itll probably get up to 85 minimum. This isnt 06 when it was at like 50
How much would you pay for a slow, weak defensively player that cant carry a line. His shot looks horrible it either misses or hits the goalie square

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax

Maybe you are right but he sure looked like he could push his line last year. I think it is more likely that his injuries over the last couple of years have slowed him down. That's the hell of it I guess in signing a long term deal based on what we have seen so far. He sure looked like a 40 goal scorer last year before he got hurt.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax

On a long term deal? Well I'm not sure 5 would even get a short bridge deal signed, but there is no way in hell he signs anywhere close to 5 long term.

Last edited:

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017

Nobody has looked half as good as BB has with EP. Two Hatties, plus some underrated set ups like against Ottawa. Give them some time together and they will be explosive.

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
On a long term deal? Well I'm not sure 5 would even get a short bridge deal aigned, but there is no way in hell he signs anywhere close to 5 long term.

Agreed. Shouldn’t be too hard for Boeser’s agent to point to the recent Guentzel/Larkin/Ehlers contracts and demand $6 million per at absolute minimum (and probably a lot higher than that).

This is a pretty good list of comparables: Using League-Wide Comparables To Predict Brock Boeser’s Next Contract

Going up to 7 or 8 with this player worries me but there’s almost no chance we’ll get him for less than 6 on a long-term deal.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

I agree. Boeser is a good triggerman but he is not a game driver that can change a game, worth a huge contract. He has actually been pretty ordinary without Pettersson who has set up all but 2 of his even strength points and all but 2 of his power play points. Solid player, good scorer but I don't think he should be over 6 million.

Maybe 2 years at 5 on a bridge deal to see what he is really going to be over the long haul.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Boeser was the best puck carrier and play driver on the team last year. I understand the reservation over his play this year, but I feel like some are forgetting how good he was. Sometimes it takes a full year and off-season to get back after a major injury. I wouldn't want to go too high on a long term deal due to the potential this is a permanent issue, but I feel like anything under 7 will likely end up an underpayment

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Boeser should get 7-7.5. He has struggles this year and still manages to put up points. With the way the CAP is going up, 7per isnt quite what it use to be.

Boeser also has a lethal shot and plays the opposite side of the PP as Pettersson. It makes it difficult for the other team to block both shots and probably opens a bit of space for Petey.

I would honestly be shocked if Boeser gets less than 7.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Boeser should get 7-7.5. He has struggles this year and still manages to put up points. With the way the CAP is going up, 7per isnt quite what it use to be.

Boeser also has a lethal shot and plays the opposite side of the PP as Pettersson. It makes it difficult for the other team to block both shots and probably opens a bit of space for Petey.

I would honestly be shocked if Boeser gets less than 7.

Only way BB gets less than 7 if it is a bridge deal. I rather not do a bridge deal

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
This might be the classic sophomore curse. So many players hit a wall in their second year, or so it seems that’s what happens. He’s still producing well, and whether Pettersson is “carrying” him or not, they work well together.

His defensive game is utter trash though. How many GA has he been on for where he is coasting and just watching the play? Luckily he produces otherwise he is sitting with Goldobin right now.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
This might be the classic sophomore curse. So many players hit a wall in their second year, or so it seems that’s what happens. He’s still producing well, and whether Pettersson is “carrying” him or not, they work well together.

His defensive game is utter trash though. How many GA has he been on for where he is coasting and just watching the play? Luckily he produces otherwise he is sitting with Goldobin right now.

Hyperbolic much? Boeser is at 31 points in 36 games and a +5. Do you think any time Patrick Kane or Gaudreau cough up the puck or make a bad defensive play that they should be regelated to sitting in the press box?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Hyperbolic much? Boeser is at 31 points in 36 games and a +5. Do you think any time Patrick Kane or Gaudreau cough up the puck or make a bad defensive play that they should be regelated to sitting in the press box?

Kane and Gaudreau are elite players. They are well over a PPG and well established players. I said Boeser is producing even if he’s considered to be struggling, and that’s a great thing.

Green agreed tonight and benched him then played him lower in the lineup, so he also saw Boeser’s defensive effort is absolute garbage. He is not Patrick f***ing Kane.

This isn’t just about “coughing up a puck”. That is a minor detail and it’s going to happen with elite players because they are making skill plays every shift. Coasting and watching goals go in on your own end is a much different thing.

Lots of people are frustrated because we know Brock has another level than this, we saw that last year. He was dominant last year and this year he just looks...off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->