Player Discussion Brock Boeser | Still Unsigned

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Boeser is getting increasingly more lazy. Embarrassing effort levels from him, especially in the defensive zone.

Laterade

Feb 9, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Boeser is getting increasingly more lazy. Embarrassing effort levels from him, especially in the defensive zone.

I see him as a Kessel clone. Kessel got lambasted in Toronto for the same problems. Sometimes he would be cheating, slow on pucks defensively and make boneheaded passes. But man could he snipe. Doesn't really have the speed that Kessel does though.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I do not see this. He battles for the puck. He does giveaways and is not the strongest skater but to me he is trying. No one can question his value to the team.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I do not see this. He battles for the puck. He does giveaways and is not the strongest skater but to me he is trying. No one can question his value to the team.

I’m not questioning his value to the team. No one wants him off the team. No one thinks he sucks and is garbage. His defensive compete level leaves more to be desired, that’s all.

Petey goes all out defensively. That’s how I want my top players to play in their own end.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I second this...I have no idea what laziness people are seeing. He isn't fast, but he's not lazy.

His compete level away from the puck is very poor and we see Controller Disconnected Ovechin moments from him almost every night.

As I said in another thread, he seems like a dedicated kid with a good head on his shoulders who wants to excel, so you hope that with good coaching and direction he can grow out of this and improve. But right now it’s a significant problem.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Boeser is a Brett Hull clone to me and and that is fine with me if he can produce like Brett did. He does look lazy in defensive zone for sure he just doesn't seem to move his feet enough. Maybe his conditioning is lacking but something is missing for sure.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I’m not questioning his value to the team. No one wants him off the team. No one thinks he sucks and is garbage. His defensive compete level leaves more to be desired, that’s all.

Petey goes all out defensively. That’s how I want my top players to play in their own end.
Not every top player gonna give his all defensively
Kessel is lazy in his own zone too

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Not every top player gonna give his all defensively
Kessel is lazy in his own zone too

Doesn’t mean we should encourage it just because another player can do it. I’m not asking him to be a Selke level player, just to move his feet a bit more and be a bit more engaged.

He gets sluggish pretty easily so I don’t know if that’s him just being tired, just a slow skater or just not being fully engaged.

No one thinks he’s garbage or needs to be traded. We would just like to see a bit more engagement defensively because good teams have every player engaged no matter where the puck is (except any team that has Kessel).

Reactions: Johnny Canucker

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I see him as a Kessel clone. Kessel got lambasted in Toronto for the same problems. Sometimes he would be cheating, slow on pucks defensively and make boneheaded passes. But man could he snipe. Doesn't really have the speed that Kessel does though.

You’re comparing one of the fastest skaters to one of the slowest in the NHL. No comparison except that they are both terrible defensively.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Boeser is a Brett Hull clone to me and and that is fine with me if he can produce like Brett did. He does look lazy in defensive zone for sure he just doesn't seem to move his feet enough. Maybe his conditioning is lacking but something is missing for sure.

Can’t teach work ethic. Don’t expect him to suddenly change. Because he can score, he will play, which means he has 0 reason to backcheck, throw hits, block shots etc

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Curious to see how Matthews' contract impacts Boeser's.

Obviously this is a pretty high level comparison, but assuming the exact same term, and only going off this year's stats, Boeser's value could be estimated to be ~ 75% of Matthews:

GPGoalsAssistsPtsG/PGP/PG
Matthews382323460.6052631.210526
Boeser401818360.450.9
Boeser %74%74%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
If Matthews contract is a valid comparable, then at 75% Boeser's cap hit would be close to $9M...

% Value100%90%85.0%80.0%75.0%70.0%
Cap Hit11.610.449.869.288.78.12
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

It’s not linear when it comes to points per dollar.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
I also think its boesers foot speed that makes him look lazy but I think his defensive awareness is pretty decent. Definitely room for improvement though.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Can’t teach work ethic. Don’t expect him to suddenly change. Because he can score, he will play, which means he has 0 reason to backcheck, throw hits, block shots etc
This is a dumbass post right here.

He will improve defensively as he matures as a player. I also think part of it is because of the injuries and his conditioning not being that great right now.

Reactions: Stardustforever

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
This is a dumbass post right here.

He will improve defensively as he matures as a player. I also think part of it is because of the injuries and his conditioning not being that great right now.

I also think he's not at peak fitness atm. Injuries to his back + groin likely hampered his lower-body training, so hopefully this summer is a good one for him.

Reactions: daddyohsix

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
It is quite amazing the standards posters on this page have for Boeser. I think there is room for improvement in his defensive game but he is not lazy. I would say his defensive game and effort is comparable to where Horvat's was in his second year. Horvat use to stop moving his feet as soon as he was tired. He was last in the team run his rookie camp. Is Horvat lazy? No. Boeser had a shortened off season he is battling to contribute despite not having the same form as last year. For most of this year he could not raise his one timer. I expect him to be better next year with a full summer. However given these issues he has had a very productive year.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
It is quite amazing the standards posters on this page have for Boeser. I think there is room for improvement in his defensive game but he is not lazy. I would say his defensive game and effort is comparable to where Horvat's was in his second year. Horvat use to stop moving his feet as soon as he was tired. He was last in the team run his rookie camp. Is Horvat lazy? No. Boeser had a shortened off season he is battling to contribute despite not having the same form as last year. For most of this year he could not raise his one timer. I expect him to be better next year with a full summer. However given these issues he has had a very productive year.

IMO it's more noticeable for Boeser because he can show off some pretty good speed/hustle when attacking the other teams line or recovering a puck in the o-zone for example but then it goes away

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Only 3 of his 21 goals are pp goals. 18 at even strength. There goes some people’s theories

Could see him scoring 50 a couple times in his careee when we acquire better pp players

Reactions: Szechwan

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Only 3 of his 21 goals are pp goals. 18 at even strength. There goes some people’s theories

Could see him scoring 50 a couple times in his careee when we acquire better pp players

Sedins and Vanek helped him a lot on the PP last year, 10 PP goals last year, on pace for half of that over 82 games this year.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I am interested to see what he will sign for. It seems like he could sleepwalk in the NHL to 30 goals so I am sure he's going to get paid.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Wanting more of Boeser's defensive effort doesn't necessarily mean you expect him to be yearly Selke candidate. Hockey is predicated on what you put on the table vs. what you take, the objective of the sport is to outscore your opponent, if you cause 30 goals for in a season and cause 40 goals against, that's a net negative, if you cause 30 for and 20 against that's a net positive.

The scenario in which you cause 30GF/20GA doesn't mean you have to be the second coming of Jere Lehtinen either, but there is a commitment/effort level component to that, and you'd have to think a lot of it is just mental.

I don't think it's a controversial statement to say that Boeser has left something to be desired in that department through stretches this year.

Reactions: timw33 and Wave

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Sedins and Vanek helped him a lot on the PP last year, 10 PP goals last year, on pace for half of that over 82 games this year.
Boeser helped the Sedins and Vanek more than the other way. The Sedin pp had struggled for years before arrival of Boeser. The idea that the Sedins pulled him up is a falsenarrative.

Reactions: Billy Kvcmu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->