Value of: Brock Boeser’s next contract

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
You certainly chose the right username.
He might get 9+ from a dumb GM like Dubas, but he's not worth that and certainly won't get it from Benning. I don't even know if he breaks 7M. Probably 6-6.5, but when a bum like Nylander is getting 7M I could see Boeser asking for that or more.
Obviously if he got 9 from Dubas it would be an offersheet.

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Dude are you ok? Maybe take a break from HF for a week. Nylander is good, Dubas is not an idiot, and Boes will get around 7-8M hopefully over 8 years in this market.

Common sense really seems to go straight over your head. Boeser and Marner are literally same age/same draft. This is also technically Boeser's third season because the Canucks blew one year off early. Comparing his production this year to Marner's this year make perfect sense. It's totally asinine to compare his production this year to Marner's production last year.
The comparable is Laine. You wait to see what Chevy pays Laine and offer Boeser something similar (actually, less in all likelihood). You don't want to use Nylander as a comp because Nylander is an overpaid chump. Chevy is not a dumbass like Dubas and won't overpay Laine so there's your ideal comp.
Even if Boeser waits and tries to point to Marner's contract (which in all likelihood will be massive) Benning can just wait and point to whatever Aho signs for since Aho is better than Marner and will sign for less (once again due to the Canes not having an idiot for a GM like the leafs).

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
My hope is that he gets 7 million AAV for 7-8 years. Slight hometown discount with the expectation that management will be trying to build a winner.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Wouldnt be surprised with a bridge deal since Boeser is coming off an injury and couldn't train much this summer.

Whats his worth tho ?

Id say 7mil per year

I doubt that he’ll be offered a bridge. It would be seen as a bit disrespectful given how much Boeser means to the Canucks. A bridge offer could strain the realtionship. Brock deserves 6-8 years. My hope is 7-8.

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
Marner is scoring at a 100 point pace.
Boeser doesn't even have a PPG season.
Marner is getting a contract from a dumb GM who has a history of overpaying players (see Nylander, William and his 2 goals on the season).

Not comparable at all. And I doubt there's anyone on HFBoards who thinks Boeser is a better player than Marner right now or would take Boeser over Marner.
This guy thinks Benning is smarter than Dubas lol.

Reactions: DelusionalLeafsFan

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Some of the players from the 2014 draft class who've signed big contracts
PlayerGP before signingPoints before signingPPG before signingSalary% of cap when signed
Draisatl1911370.728.5 M11 %
Pastrnak1721230.726.7 M9 %
Ehlers1541020.666 M8%
Larkin2421400.586.1 M8%
Nylander1851350.737 M9%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Nylander is not overpaid. Keep saying that to make yourself feel smart though

Dang straight.

He showed up in poor shape after signing his contract.

But he's got 6 points in his last 5 games & looks to be turning a corner.

The Draisaitl & Eichel contracts changed the market .... Nylander didn't get over-paid.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Lots of talk about other RFAs but how much will Boeser get?

Season stats: 40gp 18g 18a 36pts
Last season: 62gp 29g 26a 55pts

Career: 111gp 51g 45a 96pts
(Per 82: 38g 33a 71pts)

He paces as nearly a 40 goal scorer but the fact that he hasn’t actually hit 35+ or even 30+ goals could be a huge benefit to the Canucks.

Comparables (cap hit and term):

William Nylander ($6.96mil. for 6 years)
David Pastrnak ($6.66mil. for 6 years)
Nikolaj Ehlers ($6mil. for 7 years)

I had a hard time finding comparables because I wanted to limit it to wingers who are roughly the same age and have re-signed after their ELC.

How much does Boeser get?

About $7 million/ year on a 6 year deal.

Wouldnt be surprised with a bridge deal since Boeser is coming off an injury and couldn't train much this summer.

Whats his worth tho ?

Id say 7mil per year

8 Years at $7.5M AAV.

Don't forget how expensive it is to live in Vancouver so they might need to up the base offer.

9m x 8yrs or 7.75m x 6yrs

6 Years @ 6.75 per.

8 years @ 7-7.5

Hopefully 6 X 6.8

Dead serious question here:

How come everyone puts Boeser in the $7-8 million range on a 6-year contract ....
While they also (seemingly) put Marner in the $10-11 million range on a 6-year contact?

Without bias ... Marner might deserve $0.5-1.0 million more than Boeser (on same term).

Also, I wouldn't place the blame on Leaf fans for "over-valuing their players".

They all seem to be losing their s*** over the massive predictions for Matthews & Marner.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
You go on other threads and talk about how Marner is going to cost us 10 million dollars anually and put us in cap hell. But Boeser, with nearly identical stats, is not worth close to that..

Identical stats? Not in their contract years, which is by far the most important in determining contract value (though I'd say trajectory plays a role too).

Marner is obviously having the much better contract year, and his trajectory is quite positive.

Boeser had an outstanding rookie year (44th in p/gp), but his production is a bit less impressive this year (60th in p/gp) despite getting a stud like Petterson to play with. So his trajectory is also not a positive, especially when compared to Marner.

Marner is looking like a 85-100 point player, Boeser is looking like a 65-80 point player. That's good for a $2-3M+ difference in their valuation.

I'm guessing their contracts will reflect that. Boeser should have a pretty easy case for 7+ after Nylander deal, though Teravainen did as well but took significantly less.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Dead serious question here:

How come everyone puts Boeser in the $7-8 million range on a 6-year contract ....
While they also (seemingly) put Marner in the $10-11 million range on a 6-year contact?

Without bias ... Marner might deserve $0.5-1.0 million more than Boeser (on same term).

Also, I wouldn't place the blame on Leaf fans for "over-valuing their players".

They all seem to be losing their s*** over the massive predictions for Matthews & Marner.
Because Marner is a lot better than Boeser.

Here's a question: Why do Leafs fans keep using career production for estimating value when contract year production is far more important. What these guys did as 18/19 year olds has very little bearing on how much they'll earn in their prime years.

SteelerNation

Oct 23, 2012
How is Dubas an idiot? You are the one who lacks common sense here. You first say that Aho is better than Marner, but then right away assume his contract will be smaller. Repeatedly calling Dubas a dumbass makes you sound like even more of one. there's a reason he is sitting up there at the head of one of the biggest teams in the league and you're sitting at home making idiotic comments. And you obviously did not read my post properly. At no point did I compare BB to Nylander
LOLOL I always love these arguments of people sticking up for famous athletes / managers. So no one is aloud to call out an NHL GM (Dubas in this case) because he has a job as a GM and we are all just losers sitting behind a computer? What’s the point of this message board then? Why are you even here wasting time? To actually waste time sticking up for someone on a message board and make the points you make, is absolutely pathetic. You should be ashamed of yourself

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
You certainly chose the right username.
He might get 9+ from a dumb GM like Dubas, but he's not worth that and certainly won't get it from Benning. I don't even know if he breaks 7M. Probably 6-6.5, but when a bum like Nylander is getting 7M I could see Boeser asking for that or more.

Calling Dubas dumb and praising Benning. Yup, your points are questionable at best.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Identical stats? Not in their contract years, which is by far the most important in determining contract value (though I'd say trajectory plays a role too).

Marner is obviously having the much better contract year, and his trajectory is quite positive.

Boeser had an outstanding rookie year (44th in p/gp), but his production is a bit less impressive this year (60th in p/gp) despite getting a stud like Petterson to play with. So his trajectory is also not a positive, especially when compared to Marner.

Marner is looking like a 85-100 point player, Boeser is looking like a 65-80 point player. That's good for a $2-3M+ difference in their valuation.

I'm guessing their contracts will reflect that. Boeser should have a pretty easy case for 7+ after Nylander deal, though Teravainen did as well but took significantly less.

Agreed here. I love Boeser, but he can't drive a top line the way Marner can. Boeser needs a playmaker like Pettersson to put up anything near PPG.

Buying out several UFA years will be too expensive. I'm hoping for 6 years @ 7M each.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Agreed here. I love Boeser, but he can't drive a top line the way Marner can. Boeser needs a playmaker like Pettersson to put up anything near PPG.

Buying out several UFA years will be too expensive. I'm hoping for 6 years @ 7M each.

Boeser is probably worse at driving play than even Nylander, and that's saying a lot considering Nylander is pretty bad. The difference is that Boeser has an elite shot and is really good at finding open space meaning he's always a threat to score. Boeser is really unique in that way- he doesn't do that many things all that well, but has one of the best shots in the world and is so damn good at finding open space that he produces regardless.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
Boeser is probably worse at driving play than even Nylander, and that's saying a lot considering Nylander is pretty bad. The difference is that Boeser has an elite shot and is really good at finding open space meaning he's always a threat to score. Boeser is really unique in that way- he doesn't do that many things all that well, but has one of the best shots in the world and is so damn good at finding open space that he produces regardless.

You talk about Nylander a lot, does someone have a crush?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad