Value of: Brock Boeser’s next contract

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Lots of talk about other RFAs but how much will Boeser get?

Season stats: 40gp 18g 18a 36pts
Last season: 62gp 29g 26a 55pts

Career: 111gp 51g 45a 96pts
(Per 82: 38g 33a 71pts)

He paces as nearly a 40 goal scorer but the fact that he hasn’t actually hit 35+ or even 30+ goals could be a huge benefit to the Canucks.

Comparables (cap hit and term):

William Nylander ($6.96mil. for 6 years)
David Pastrnak ($6.66mil. for 6 years)
Nikolaj Ehlers ($6mil. for 7 years)

I had a hard time finding comparables because I wanted to limit it to wingers who are roughly the same age and have re-signed after their ELC.

How much does Boeser get?

mitchthemitch

Jan 10, 2019
Toronto
More than all three of those guys. Nylander and Pasta each had a ppg of .73 when they signed, ehlers was much less. When he signs BB's ppg will probably be around 0.9. There's not too many comparables for that. Gaudreau the only one I can think of at 0.89 but his deal is a steal, was roughly 8% of the cap when signed. I'd say he could get the same as Marner who is currently at a career .92 ppg. My guess is an 11 percent cap hit, so maybe 9 to 9.5 on an 8 year deal if signed this summer. Next year with the salary cap rise it could go to 10 on a max deal. On a 6 year deal it would probably be around 1.5 - 2 mil less

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Wouldnt be surprised with a bridge deal since Boeser is coming off an injury and couldn't train much this summer.

Whats his worth tho ?

Id say 7mil per year

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
More than all three of those guys. Nylander and Pasta each had a ppg of .73 when they signed, ehlers was much less. When he signs BB's ppg will probably be around 0.9. There's not too many comparables for that. Gaudreau the only one I can think of at 0.89 but his deal is a steal, was roughly 8% of the cap when signed. I'd say he could get the same as Marner who is currently at a career .92 ppg. My guess is an 11 percent cap hit, so maybe 9 to 9.5 on an 8 year deal if signed this summer. Next year with the salary cap rise it could go to 10 on a max deal. On a 6 year deal it would probably be around 1.5 - 2 mil less

You certainly chose the right username.
He might get 9+ from a dumb GM like Dubas, but he's not worth that and certainly won't get it from Benning. I don't even know if he breaks 7M. Probably 6-6.5, but when a bum like Nylander is getting 7M I could see Boeser asking for that or more.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
8 Years at $7.5M AAV.

Don't forget how expensive it is to live in Vancouver so they might need to up the base offer.

mitchthemitch

Jan 10, 2019
Toronto
You certainly chose the right username.
He might get 9+ from a dumb GM like Dubas, but he's not worth that and certainly won't get it from Benning. I don't even know if he breaks 7M. Probably 6-6.5, but when a bum like Nylander is getting 7M I could see Boeser asking for that or more.
You go on other threads and talk about how Marner is going to cost us 10 million dollars anually and put us in cap hell. But Boeser, with nearly identical stats, is not worth close to that..

Reactions: Son of Petter

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
You go on other threads and talk about how Marner is going to cost us 10 million dollars anually and put us in cap hell. But Boeser, with nearly identical stats, is not worth close to that..

Marner is scoring at a 100 point pace.
Boeser doesn't even have a PPG season.
Marner is getting a contract from a dumb GM who has a history of overpaying players (see Nylander, William and his 2 goals on the season).

Not comparable at all. And I doubt there's anyone on HFBoards who thinks Boeser is a better player than Marner right now or would take Boeser over Marner.

mitchthemitch

Jan 10, 2019
Toronto
Marner is getting a contract from a dumb GM who has a history of overpaying players (see Nylander, William and his 2 goals on the season).

Not comparable at all. And I doubt there's anyone on HFBoards who thinks Boeser is a better player than Marner right now or would take Boeser over Marner.
Boeser is scoring at a higher rate than Marner did in his second season. And Nylander got a fair deal based on what he had done in his career so far. Who do you compare Boeser to?

Reactions: Son of Petter

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006

God, what useless drivel.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Nylander is good tho
And Boeser is what then?

Boeser destroys Nylander in goals per game over their careers and is ahead by a significant margin in points per game as well

Nylander - .69 PPG
Boeser - .86 PPG

I can’t imagine how far of a gap would you put between them if Nylander was even near Boeser in production.

Last edited:

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Boeser is scoring at a higher rate than Marner did in his second season. And Nylander got a fair deal based on what he had done in his career so far. Who do you compare Boeser to?
Common sense really seems to go straight over your head. Boeser and Marner are literally same age/same draft. This is also technically Boeser's third season because the Canucks blew one year off early. Comparing his production this year to Marner's this year make perfect sense. It's totally asinine to compare his production this year to Marner's production last year.
The comparable is Laine. You wait to see what Chevy pays Laine and offer Boeser something similar (actually, less in all likelihood). You don't want to use Nylander as a comp because Nylander is an overpaid chump. Chevy is not a dumbass like Dubas and won't overpay Laine so there's your ideal comp.
Even if Boeser waits and tries to point to Marner's contract (which in all likelihood will be massive) Benning can just wait and point to whatever Aho signs for since Aho is better than Marner and will sign for less (once again due to the Canes not having an idiot for a GM like the leafs).

mitchthemitch

Jan 10, 2019
Toronto
Common sense really seems to go straight over your head. Boeser and Marner are literally same age/same draft. This is also technically Boeser's third season because the Canucks blew one year off early. Comparing his production this year to Marner's this year make perfect sense. It's totally asinine to compare his production this year to Marner's production last year.
The comparable is Laine. You wait to see what Chevy pays Laine and offer Boeser something similar (actually, less in all likelihood). You don't want to use Nylander as a comp because Nylander is an overpaid chump. Chevy is not a dumbass like Dubas and won't overpay Laine so there's your ideal comp.
Even if Boeser waits and tries to point to Marner's contract (which in all likelihood will be massive) Benning can just wait and point to whatever Aho signs for since Aho is better than Marner and will sign for less (once again due to the Canes not having an idiot for a GM like the leafs).
How is Dubas an idiot? You are the one who lacks common sense here. You first say that Aho is better than Marner, but then right away assume his contract will be smaller. Repeatedly calling Dubas a dumbass makes you sound like even more of one. there's a reason he is sitting up there at the head of one of the biggest teams in the league and you're sitting at home making idiotic comments. And you obviously did not read my post properly. At no point did I compare BB to Nylander

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
How is Dubas an idiot? You are the one who lacks common sense here. You first say that Aho is better than Marner, but then right away assume his contract will be smaller. Repeatedly calling Dubas a dumbass makes you sound like even more of one. there's a reason he is sitting up there at the head of one of the biggest teams in the league and you're sitting at home making idiotic comments. And you obviously did not read my post properly. At no point did I compare BB to Nylander

I guess reading comprehension is just too hard for you.
You literally compared Boeser's production to Nylander's.
I will bet you Marner signs for more than Aho. And the reason will be because Dubas is going to overpay. He already handled the Nylander situation terribly and overpaid a soft winger. No reason to think he won't do it again.

mitchthemitch

Jan 10, 2019
Toronto
Some of the players from the 2014 draft class who've signed big contracts
PlayerGP before signingPoints before signingPPG before signingSalary% of cap when signed
Draisatl1911370.728.5 M11 %
Pastrnak1721230.726.7 M9 %
Ehlers1541020.666 M8%
Larkin2421400.586.1 M8%
Nylander1851350.737 M9%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Nylander is not overpaid. Keep saying that to make yourself feel smart though

Reactions: Menzinger

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
PlayerGP before signingPoints before signingPPG before signingSalary% of cap when signed
Ehlers1541020.666 M8%
Larkin2421400.586.1 M8%
Nylander1851350.737 M9%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

So he's the 2nd highest paid of the group (by a fair bit) and is also the worst. LOL :laugh:

Keep trying to look at PPG before signing or whatever you need to make yourself sleep well at night, but nobody would trade you Drai, Pasta or Larkin for Nylander. Not even if you retained half of Nylander's contract and added a 1st. He's not even in the same league as those guys. Hell, even Ehlers is quite a bit better than Nylander.

mitchthemitch

Jan 10, 2019
Toronto
Ehlers1541020.666 M8%
Larkin2421400.586.1 M8%
Nylander1851350.737 M9%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
His results are nothing to write home about this season. He is getting one of the worst oish% on the team. In every single stat he's been great except for shooting percentage. Once that comes back up he won't be "overpaid"

Reactions: Menzinger

mitchthemitch

Jan 10, 2019
Toronto
So he's the 2nd highest paid of the group (by a fair bit) and is also the worst. LOL :laugh:

Keep trying to look at PPG before signing or whatever you need to make yourself sleep well at night, but nobody would trade you Drai, Pasta or Larkin for Nylander. Not even if you retained half of Nylander's contract and added a 1st. He's not even in the same league as those guys. Hell, even Ehlers is quite a bit better than Nylander.
What do you look at when evaluating a scoring winger's value? Hits? Penalty kill time?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad