Value of: Brock Boeser’s next contract

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Boeser is probably worse at driving play than even Nylander, and that's saying a lot considering Nylander is pretty bad. The difference is that Boeser has an elite shot and is really good at finding open space meaning he's always a threat to score. Boeser is really unique in that way- he doesn't do that many things all that well, but has one of the best shots in the world and is so damn good at finding open space that he produces regardless.

Boeser (and Nylander) definitely benefit from playing with an elite center but they hold their own. Boeser's a better all-around player than he gets credit for on these boards. Not a great skater but he is very smart and is excellent with his positioning on the ice.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Boeser (and Nylander) definitely benefit from playing with an elite center but they hold their own. Boeser's a better all-around player than he gets credit for on these boards. Not a great skater but he is very smart and is excellent with his positioning on the ice.

Agreed. He's never going to be a PKer or anything but he's not a liability away from the puck.

Definitely not a graceful skater but makes up for it with that nose for the right spots that only elite goal scorers have (and the shot helps, too).

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
You talk about Nylander a lot, does someone have a crush?
Is that why you follow me around HFboards and quote my posts? You have a crush? How sweet. But please don't project your own girlish fantasies on me or anyone else. Most of us non leafs fans think like adults, not teenage girls.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
Is that why you follow me around HFboards and quote my posts? You have a crush? How sweet. But please don't project your own girlish fantasies on me or anyone else. Most of us non leafs fans think like adults, not teenage girls.

Follow you around? Actually I have only quoted you twice on posts that have zero base. Keeping knocking Nylander though because you obviously don't watch him play. You have no facts to cover your position.

Reactions: DelusionalLeafsFan

Dr Danglefest

Lindros|Giroux|Krug
May 29, 2010
THE SouthShore, MASS
Common sense really seems to go straight over your head. Boeser and Marner are literally same age/same draft. This is also technically Boeser's third season because the Canucks blew one year off early. Comparing his production this year to Marner's this year make perfect sense. It's totally asinine to compare his production this year to Marner's production last year.
The comparable is Laine. You wait to see what Chevy pays Laine and offer Boeser something similar (actually, less in all likelihood). You don't want to use Nylander as a comp because Nylander is an overpaid chump. Chevy is not a dumbass like Dubas and won't overpay Laine so there's your ideal comp.
Even if Boeser waits and tries to point to Marner's contract (which in all likelihood will be massive) Benning can just wait and point to whatever Aho signs for since Aho is better than Marner and will sign for less (once again due to the Canes not having an idiot for a GM like the leafs).

TL;DR:

This guy is a Dubas fanboy

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
Boeser is probably worse at driving play than even Nylander, and that's saying a lot considering Nylander is pretty bad. The difference is that Boeser has an elite shot and is really good at finding open space meaning he's always a threat to score. Boeser is really unique in that way- he doesn't do that many things all that well, but has one of the best shots in the world and is so damn good at finding open space that he produces regardless.

The other difference is that Boeser is a better hockey player than Nylander.

Love

Feb 29, 2012

Nylander barely averages more assists per game than Boeser. Barely.

Boeser isn’t just a sniper. He can pass, he’s become quite good on the cycle and protecting the puck along the boards. A smart player overall. Just because his shot and scoring ability is his best trait doesn’t mean he isn’t a complete player.

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
Identical stats? Not in their contract years, which is by far the most important in determining contract value (though I'd say trajectory plays a role too).

Marner is obviously having the much better contract year, and his trajectory is quite positive.

Boeser had an outstanding rookie year (44th in p/gp), but his production is a bit less impressive this year (60th in p/gp) despite getting a stud like Petterson to play with. So his trajectory is also not a positive, especially when compared to Marner.

Marner is looking like a 85-100 point player, Boeser is looking like a 65-80 point player. That's good for a $2-3M+ difference in their valuation.

I'm guessing their contracts will reflect that. Boeser should have a pretty easy case for 7+ after Nylander deal, though Teravainen did as well but took significantly less.

Boeser has a higher PPG this year than last year.... Just because the rest of the league is scoring more doesn't mean Boeser is any less impressive. He's actually been a lot better this year.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Nylander barely averages more assists per game than Boeser. Barely.

Boeser isn’t just a sniper. He can pass, he’s become quite good on the cycle and protecting the puck along the boards. A smart player overall. Just because his shot and scoring ability is his best trait doesn’t mean he isn’t a complete player.

I'm not saying he isn't but his all around play gets fairly overrated. Boeser is elite at finding open space (call it offensive IQ if you'd like) and has one of the best shots in the game. He's a good passer, yes, but he's not much of a playmaker, and his skating and puck handling are nothing special. He's also not really great at driving play forward or even gaining the zone (again, I'm not saying he's bad, but really not as good as most other 1st line wingers). His game really revolves around his shot. Take that away and he's a middle 6 player at best. Still much better than Nylander who might do something on his own once in a blue moon, but mostly just floats around waiting to jump on Auston Matthews shoulders and get carried around to success.

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
I'm not saying he isn't but his all around play gets fairly overrated. Boeser is elite at finding open space (call it offensive IQ if you'd like) and has one of the best shots in the game. He's a good passer, yes, but he's not much of a playmaker, and his skating and puck handling are nothing special. He's also not really great at driving play forward or even gaining the zone (again, I'm not saying he's bad, but really not as good as most other 1st line wingers). His game really revolves around his shot. Take that away and he's a middle 6 player at best. Still much better than Nylander who might do something on his own once in a blue moon, but mostly just floats around waiting to jump on Auston Matthews shoulders and get carried around to success.

I'm just gonna take it that you don't watch Brock very much if you don't think he's a playmaker and someone who can't drive the play.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Boeser has a higher PPG this year than last year.... Just because the rest of the league is scoring more doesn't mean Boeser is any less impressive. He's actually been a lot better this year.
When league wide scoring goes up more than an individual player's I think its fair to say its a drop in relative production. That doesn't mean he hasn't been very good, because he has.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
I was thinking he will probably come in around 7.5 for 5years, for 8 years maybe similar to Drai

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Can't the Leafs fans just leave threads alone?

I mean, seriously. I am tired of seeing everything NHL related being about the Leafs.

Boeser, had he not been injured, could easily command 9m per.

I think if the Canucks can keep it under $7.5, it is a win.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I think Boeser's year has been a bit misleading. He really wasn't very good at the start of the year, I think he was having a tough time from last year's injury and wasn't in the best of shape. I also think he was playing hurt before missing 13 games with the groin injury. Since he has come back, he has been on a tear.

I see him as a 40 goal 80 point winger. If we can sign him for 8x8 to 8.5, I'd be very happy. I think he ends up at 6x7 though.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think Boeser's year has been a bit misleading. He really wasn't very good at the start of the year, I think he was having a tough time from last year's injury and wasn't in the best of shape. I also think he was playing hurt before missing 13 games with the groin injury. Since he has come back, he has been on a tear.

I see him as a 40 goal 80 point winger. If we can sign him for 8x8 to 8.5, I'd be very happy. I think he ends up at 6x7 though.
Probably unlikely he does 8. I think 6 makes sense for both sides. Something around $7-$7.5 depending on how he finishes. His prorated numbers are very good, but one of your best abilities needs to be your availability.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Can't the Leafs fans just leave threads alone?

I mean, seriously. I am tired of seeing everything NHL related being about the Leafs.

Boeser, had he not been injured, could easily command 9m per.

I think if the Canucks can keep it under $7.5, it is a win.

What about Marner though?

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018
I think 8 years @ 8 - 8.5 AAV.
He has better g/gp p/gp in his career than Draisaitl. who is getting 8.5. He deserves a big contract as he has produced nicely and entry level contracts under pay players like him. Hopefully he gets a huge signing bonus. He brought more excitement to the team last year and filled seats. Lets say he played about 30 home games last year and drew in about 500 to 1000 more fans per game at $120 a ticket that would be 1.8-3.6 million because of him. Plus he brings priceless positive energy to the team.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He has better g/gp p/gp in his career than Draisaitl. who is getting 8.5. He deserves a big contract as he has produced nicely and entry level contracts under pay players like him. Hopefully he gets a huge signing bonus. He brought more excitement to the team last year and filled seats. Lets say he played about 30 home games last year and drew in about 500 to 1000 more fans per game at $120 a ticket that would be 1.8-3.6 million because of him. Plus he brings priceless positive energy to the team.
Probably gets dictated by what the top 5 ELC guys who are in the top 20 in NHL scoring this season end up signing for. Trickles down to what Brock ends up with. They set the bar.

Like like Donald/Mack set the bar for all DL in the NFL.

Reactions: Brock Olli Juolevi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad