Seravalli: Broberg/agent requesting a trade (mod: title updated, Oilers didn’t give permission to Broberg to seek a trade)

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Another Oilers first rounder struggling?
Is it bad drafting or poor development?

Getting rid of Campbell will cost 3 first rounders.
He was the wrong pick from the word go. I love my swedes and fins and when they made this pick I wad not happy. He was nowhere neat the best player still on the board. I had a lot further down then where he was taken

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Maybe Oilers fans have seen him more and can clarify but each time I’ve seen him he’s been underwhelming. Got beat one on one frequently, was outmuscled, and made terrible decisions with the puck when facing pressure and forecheck. Seemed ok with time and space.

I still think there is a solid NHL player there, not a top 2D, but could easily grow into a 3-6 type role. The problem with Broberg in the NHL is that he played too tentatively at times and I feel that's because of the coaching. He'd make one mistake and get benched for the rest of the game and then scratched for a few more. Not really the atmosphere you need to develop.

Would have been interesting to see how he could have done with Coffey with reports of how he's handling the team with positive reinforcement, but I don't blame Broberg or his camp in asking out.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Another genius Tyler Wright pick. A random HF poster would be a better head scout than him.

Wright was technically still working for Detroit during the 2019 draft, but it's highly likely Yzerman was leaning on Draper and Holland was leaning on Wright, regardless.

As a reminder... Wright's drafts with Detroit:

2014 Draft - Dylan Larkin/Christopher Ehn (114 GP, 13 points)
2015 Draft - Evgeny Svechnikov (Not the good Svechnikov)
2016 Draft - Dennis Cholowski/Givani Smith/Filip Hronek
2017 Draft - Michael Rasmussen/Gustav Lindstrom
2018 Draft - Filip Zadina/Joe Veleno/Jonathan Berggren

That's two high end players and 2 more bottom six NHLers, out of five whole drafts. (Berggren still up in the air)

I'm not crediting him for Seider because Draper was clearly Yzerman's guy, and Yzerman had reportedly flown to Germany to see Seider play multiple times prior to the draft.

Holland hired Wright as his director of scouting and Detroit started leaning to North Americans and ignoring Hakan Andersson. Yzerman pushes Holland out of Detroit in 2019 and suddenly the pipeline of talent from Europe to Detroit gets turned back on. Weird how that works...

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
He was the wrong pick from the word go. I love my swedes and fins and when they made this pick I wad not happy. He was nowhere neat the best player still on the board. I had a lot further down then where he was taken

While I agree, he was usually ranked by most around the same spots as Söderström and/or Heinola we should also remember that all these players were usually ranked ahead of Seider :laugh:

The question remains. Was he a bad pick or is this another Oilers can't develop fiasco? Or both?

Just curious. Who did you have as the Oilers pick?

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Another Oilers first rounder struggling?
Is it bad drafting or poor development?

Getting rid of Campbell will cost 3 first rounders.

The Post McDavid draft regime has failed miserably. I don 't have the words to say how bad they failed. I guess I could say you can't fail any more than they failed?

Not a single player drafted with the exception of Bouchard (who one could argue hurts you defensively just as much as he helps you offensively) is helping this team win hockey games. The BEST they can say is we have a few draft picks that fill a spot (a spot they use to hurt the teams chances of winning.. Mcleod, Desharnais, Skinner who has bottom 5 stats)

It's too easy to blame Holland. He's part of the problem but the Oilers organization is sick to the core and has been since Katz purchased this team. Coaches, Gm's take the spotlight. But the sickness or ineptitude.. whatever you want to call it. Has prevailed through 2 presidents of hockey operations. It must be why they fired their player development coach and replaced Nicholson.

Either way I don't hold out hope anything is going to change. My advice.. Don't deal with or for anyone drafted/developed by the Oilers organization. I put Brobergs value at nothing. Via this logic and quite frankly.. watching him as well. He skates nice and accomplishes nothing while being in general.. a teddy bear on ice.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
I still think there is a solid NHL player there, not a top 2D, but could easily grow into a 3-6 type role. The problem with Broberg in the NHL is that he played too tentatively at times and I feel that's because of the coaching. He'd make one mistake and get benched for the rest of the game and then scratched for a few more. Not really the atmosphere you need to develop.

Would have been interesting to see how he could have done with Coffey with reports of how he's handling the team with positive reinforcement, but I don't blame Broberg or his camp in asking out.
Maybe a trade for another player in a similar situation then. Wahlstrom? Fabbro?

Reactions: ElPrimeTime

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

He must be making some terrifying mistakes if *EDM* would bench him for making a mistake on D.

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015
Wright was technically still working for Detroit during the 2019 draft, but it's highly likely Yzerman was leaning on Draper and Holland was leaning on Wright, regardless.

As a reminder... Wright's drafts with Detroit:

2014 Draft - Dylan Larkin/Christopher Ehn (114 GP, 13 points)
2015 Draft - Evgeny Svechnikov (Not the good Svechnikov)
2016 Draft - Dennis Cholowski/Givani Smith/Filip Hronek
2017 Draft - Michael Rasmussen/Gustav Lindstrom
2018 Draft - Filip Zadina/Joe Veleno/Jonathan Berggren

That's two high end players and 2 more bottom six NHLers, out of five whole drafts. (Berggren still up in the air)

I'm not crediting him for Seider because Draper was clearly Yzerman's guy, and Yzerman had reportedly flown to Germany to see Seider play multiple times prior to the draft.

Holland hired Wright as his director of scouting and Detroit started leaning to North Americans and ignoring Hakan Andersson. Yzerman pushes Holland out of Detroit in 2019 and suddenly the pipeline of talent from Europe to Detroit gets turned back on. Weird how that works...

And people wonder why Detroit's rebuild has taken so long and why Yzerman had to start from square minus 5.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Maybe Oilers fans have seen him more and can clarify but each time I’ve seen him he’s been underwhelming. Got beat one on one frequently, was outmuscled, and made terrible decisions with the puck when facing pressure and forecheck. Seemed ok with time and space.
You forgot falls over frequently under no pressure whatsoever, but otherwise a good summary.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Not for Arizona. Changing anything right now would be silly for them unless it is very good value.

I'd say someone like Montreal might take a chance on him.
Montreal actually has too many D prospects right now. I can't imagine he'd hold much interest for them

Reactions: viceroy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad