Proposal: Bringing Buffalo to the promised land (TB/PHI, CGY)

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
There's several of those guys available this summer but I think since there's like 10 teams looking for that exact player all of them have a chance to get pretty overpaid. Roy, Pesce, Tanev, Demelo, they'd all be perfect fits but I think you're competing with Toronto, Edmonton, Arizona, Anaheim, Van (for Tanev at least), Ottawa, New Jersey just off the top of my head. I also figured having Andersson in the mix will allow them to evaluate longer term how Dahlin/Byram/Power works out while having a contingency plan if they did decide to eventually move out Power
Our top 5 is set in stone:

Dahlin
Power
Byram
Sammy
Ryan Johnson

all we really need is a crease clearing type who can drop the mittss when needed, all this fails to mention Clifton still exists so now youre paying him what 4 mill to ride the bench while adding Andersson's contract? It just doesn't make sense.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Our top 5 is set in stone:

Dahlin
Power
Byram
Sammy
Ryan Johnson

all we really need is a crease clearing type who can drop the mittss when needed, all this fails to mention Clifton still exists so now youre paying him what 4 mill to ride the bench while adding Andersson's contract? It just doesn't make sense.
Only Dahlin has shown a consistent ability to play the right though, I think that's going to need to be addressed eventually. I'm also just not fully convinced yet that Power will work with Byram and Dahlin both there

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Only Dahlin has shown a consistent ability to play the right though, I think that's going to need to be addressed eventually. I'm also just not fully convinced yet that Power will work with Byram and Dahlin both there
then thats a whole new can of worms to open my friend....

if Power doesnt work and you need to move his salary to fit in Andersson and Cirelli where is Power going?

Cirelli will cost you an unprotected 1st or top prospect, and he's definitely not being dealt simply to clear cap space to sign grandpa Stamkos
Sabres 1st and we are done here, I have other business to attend to.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
can't the fax and paper people were let go, best I can do is fedex 3-5 business days.

f292a63b-883d-42d7-aae1-7a20f9d9ab6a_text.gif

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
then thats a whole new can of worms to open my friend....

if Power doesnt work and you need to move his salary to fit in Andersson and Cirelli where is Power going?
I don't mean they'd move him this summer, they'd probably run with just a loaded D next year and see who fits in best. There would be plenty of takers for Power I think. Maybe I'm wrong and one of those guys effectively flips to the right, problem solved

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I don't mean they'd move him this summer, they'd probably run with just a loaded D next year and see who fits in best. There would be plenty of takers for Power I think. Maybe I'm wrong and one of those guys effectively flips to the right, problem solved
no its not though. It leaves 4 offensive and expensive at that dmen and no one added that actually knows defense.

The deal favors Buffalo so of course you take it but it's the wrong player to be targetting and likely undermines your thread title because it'll lead to a lot of the same problems....all offense and no defense. We pick at 8 and my tax return in NYS doesn't justify what I paid. Some things are guaranteed in life....

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I want to see the people of Buffalo don their finest sweatpants for a long overdue playoff run next season. I think they can make some big moves while still holding on to their very best trade chips

Trade 1:
Buffalo gets: Anthony Cirelli + Nic Deslauriers
Tampa gets: Peyton Krebs + Buffalo 2nd
Philly gets: Conor Sheary + Tampa 5th

The rationale for Tampa here would theoretically be opening up cap room so they can resign Stamkos + Duclair and add a defenceman. Cirelli would be a great add for Buff but I have a hard time pegging his value. He's a very good player but his cap hit seems high for his production, despite his excellent defensive play. I figure Krebs gives Tampa a decent young player they can plug into their 3rd line, and recoups a draft pick in a year where they are pretty barren
I have Philly sending Deslauriers here because Buffalo could use some more snarl and it seems like he's kinda on the outs in Philly now. They get a pick for the money difference between Sheary/ND

Trade 2:
Calgary gets: 11th overall, Jokiharju, Ostlund/Rosen
Buffalo gets: Rasmus Andersson, Calgary 3rd

Buffalo is stacked on D but all 4 of their best are lefties. Andersson gives them a bonafide top pairing RD on a sweetheart deal for two seasons and IMO would instantly vault them to the best D core in the league. He plays a little nasty too which Buffalo needs more of.
By acquiring 11th overall, Calgary would likely be able to grab both Tij Iginla (team needs aside, the franchise would obviously love to do this) and whoever is left of the top 6 D in the draft - I'd guess probably Buium, Yakemchuk or Dickinson. They also get a good forward prospect and a youngish 2nd pairing D
As a Flames fan, I would do that trade with Buffalo.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Trading for Byram already seemed redundant. Paying a huge price for Andersson on top of that would just be compounding the problem. The defense already has too much redundancy and too high a cap hit coming up as it is.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
His defensive metrics the last 2 years have actually been almost exactly average. In 21-22 he was excellent defensively. I'm not convinced at all Tampa will keep him moving forward.
Thats why you need to watch the games. Every team in the league outbids buffalo with that offer for Cirelli.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Trading for Byram already seemed redundant. Paying a huge price for Andersson on top of that would just be compounding the problem. The defense already has too much redundancy and too high a cap hit coming up as it is.

there are not excessive on D.

i have a roster formula there are 2 differen methods and very similar results

4/7 for 14F (if you carry 8th D,3rd G then that player counts in here)
3/7 for D/G

based on projected roster for 24/25 they will be slightly over 3/7

another method is you look at top 9F/5D/SG then you have the bottom 4F/2D/BG/+another player. The bottom costs around $111/5M

the rest of cap 87.5-11.5=76 for the 9/5/1 at a 60% F /40% for D/G

4/7=57.14% of cap they carry 5 extras vs 3 in D/G then adjusts to be close to 60/40

I think acquiring Byram is part 1 of a trade. they trade him or Power/Samuelsson in a big multiplayer trade where they get back a RD and a bottom 6 F they need and the deal is close to cap neutral <2.5M going wither way.

In this deal I do not see them trading their 1st other than a small pick move like if they were picking 11 as of now and they trading with a team within 4 spots either way and flipped picks

I dont see them trading Ostlund who seems to be a natural center. not trading Savoie either.

Others i can see them trading in such a trade--Krebs, Jokiharju, Peterka, Rosen Kulich, a few other non RD prospects

Last edited:

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Thats why you need to watch the games. Every team in the league outbids buffalo with that offer for Cirelli.
I've watched him play plenty. He's not the Backlund/Danault/JEE type people pretend he is. Brayden Point is a superior defensive center.

• Haha
Reactions: Rschmitz

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I want to see the people of Buffalo don their finest sweatpants for a long overdue playoff run next season. I think they can make some big moves while still holding on to their very best trade chips

Trade 1:

The rationale for Tampa here would theoretically be opening up cap room so they can resign Stamkos + Duclair and add a defenceman. Cirelli would be a great add for Buff but I have a hard time pegging his value. He's a very good player but his cap hit seems high for his production, despite his excellent defensive play. I figure Krebs gives Tampa a decent young player they can plug into their 3rd line, and recoups a draft pick in a year where they are pretty barren
I have Philly sending Deslauriers here because Buffalo could use some more snarl and it seems like he's kinda on the outs in Philly now. They get a pick for the money difference between Sheary/ND

Trade 2:

Buffalo is stacked on D but all 4 of their best are lefties. Andersson gives them a bonafide top pairing RD on a sweetheart deal for two seasons and IMO would instantly vault them to the best D core in the league. He plays a little nasty too which Buffalo needs more of.
By acquiring 11th overall, Calgary would likely be able to grab both Tij Iginla (team needs aside, the franchise would obviously love to do this) and whoever is left of the top 6 D in the draft - I'd guess probably Buium, Yakemchuk or Dickinson. They also get a good forward prospect and a youngish 2nd pairing D

Trade 1 seems like Tampa doesn't get enough for an important player.

As for Trade 2? Why are they getting yet another PMD, albeit now a RH shot when they've invested in three other PMD's via contract (Dahlin, Power) or trade (Byram) and have very little in terms of defensive focus on their blueline? And for just two years of Andersson too. I don't see it.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Tampa gets absolutely ruined in the first trade.
Exactly and the rational doesn't make sense as TB would rather keep Cirelli over Stamkos anyways.

The Calgary Buffalo trade is fair value but the Flames need to keep some anchors and leaders going forward.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

Trade 1:

Trade 2:

You either really hate Cirelli’s contract or you badly overate Krebs.

Or both.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Hire University of Denver's coach !!!+ Sabres are close , tons of talented youth , just need a good coach and a couple gritty vets .

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad