Proposal: Bringing Buffalo to the promised land (TB/PHI, CGY)

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Hire University of Denver's coach !!!+ Sabres are close , tons of talented youth , just need a good coach and a couple gritty vets .
Polar opposite of where they should go with coaching imo, Berube or someone of that ilk. I think they've hinted pretty clearly they'll go for a vet coach

Reactions: Chainshot

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Polar opposite of where they should go with coaching imo, Berube or someone of that ilk. I think they've hinted pretty clearly they'll go for a vet coach
If the Sabres do go for an experienced coach who has a history of winning then they need to allow him to evaluate the players and make decisions on who needs to go. If a player, no matter who, can’t make the sacrifices needed to be a winner then he’s got to be moved on.
Joel Quenneville is the guy if he’s reinstated

Reactions: dj Mahoney

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
If the Sabres do go for an experienced coach who has a history of winning then they need to allow him to evaluate the players and make decisions on who needs to go. If a player, no matter who, can’t make the sacrifices needed to be a winner then he’s got to be moved on.
Joel Quenneville is the guy if he’s reinstated
Joel would be a great hiring . Closing in on Scotty .

Reactions: Fatass

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Maybe, depends on Tampa's cap situation. Cirelli is a 6.25M cap hit. That's a lot for a 40 point guy who has struggled defensively the last 2 seasons compared to how he defended before.
Sure, it is, but what does Krebs bring to Tampa? I am sure they would rather trade Cirelli for good 3rd liner or DMan: Mario Ferraro, Jenner, Siegenthaler, Vatrano, Mathieu Joseph, Rossi, Sissons, Appleton, Eller, Luostarinen, Frost, Laughton, etc, the list goes on. Krebs just doesnt seem like a guy you add when you're trying desperately to keep your window open

Reactions: AndreRoy

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Top six centers who can play shutdown defense while providing secondary scoring are always in demand. Cirelli may be a bit overpaid for his regular-season offensive production, but he’s no more overpaid than a typical UFA signing while being a bit younger, and he also comes with significant championship experience; if made available there would be no shortage of interested suitors. As one of the few tradeable players on the Lightning with large contracts I could see him potentially being available, but Krebs and a 2nd does nothing for Tampa and that offer would be easily beaten.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Sure, it is, but what does Krebs bring to Tampa? I am sure they would rather trade Cirelli for good 3rd liner or DMan: Mario Ferraro, Jenner, Siegenthaler, Vatrano, Mathieu Joseph, Rossi, Sissons, Appleton, Eller, Luostarinen, Frost, Laughton, etc, the list goes on. Krebs just doesnt seem like a guy you add when you're trying desperately to keep your window open

Krebs does absolutely nothing for Tampa. He’s a replacement-level player of the sort the Lightning could easily call up from Syracuse, sign via free agency, or acquire for a low draft pick. He wouldn’t even crack Tampa’s roster, much less move the needle for Cirelli.

What Tampa needs is a solid defensive RD on a good contract with term. He doesn’t need to score a lot of points, but he does need to handle his business in the defensive zone and be able to effectively move the puck out of that zone. Alternatively, if they have the opportunity to sign such a player in free agency and need to clear most of Cirelli’s cap space in order to do so, they’d also be interested in a young winger on his ELC who can score and has middle-six potential. Neither is an unrealistic ask for a solid two-way 2C with multiple championships under his belt, and both are the sort of player that a team looking to upgrade down the middle would be willing to give up in order to do so.

In short, while the Lightning wouldn’t expect a king’s ransom for Cirelli, they very much would expect somebody who fills a need for them and who improves either their defense or (if that help is coming from elsewhere) their secondary scoring.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Krebs does absolutely nothing for Tampa. He’s a replacement-level player of the sort the Lightning could easily call up from Syracuse, sign via free agency, or acquire for a low draft pick. He wouldn’t even crack Tampa’s roster, much less move the needle for Cirelli.

What Tampa needs is a solid defensive RD on a good contract with term. He doesn’t need to score a lot of points, but he does need to handle his business in the defensive zone and be able to effectively move the puck out of that zone. Alternatively, if they have the opportunity to sign such a player in free agency and need to clear most of Cirelli’s cap space in order to do so, they’d also be interested in a young winger on his ELC who can score and has middle-six potential. Neither is an unrealistic ask for a solid two-way 2C with multiple championships under his belt, and both are the sort of player that a team looking to upgrade down the middle would be willing to give up in order to do so.

In short, while the Lightning wouldn’t expect a king’s ransom for Cirelli, they very much would expect somebody who fills a need for them and who improves either their defense or (if that help is coming from elsewhere) their secondary scoring.

Sounds more like Tampa would/should cut out the middle man and just work on Andersson as their return honestly.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
a Travis Konecny and Scot Laughton package is what the sabres need!!!!! Can add ND as well.
At one point I was thinking this.

I suck at value threads, but was thinking of a TK + Laughton + FLA 1st for Ostlund, Kulich and Buff's 1st.

Rationale: Flyers need LW and C prospects. Both of those guys have high end up-side but it's still not Buf's best prospect (Savoie) who they can still hang on to, but those guys would slide in as #2 and #3 prospects on Flyers as well.

Buff gets 2 gritty, heart and soul players, one 1st line player, who'll putup 85+ next to their centers but also probably the best short-handed duo in the league to help the PK. Character 3C guy in Laughton. They still retain a 1st for their excellent drafting to replenish depth. Also assume here that TK will sign in Buffalo.

Flyers get a chance another shot at a Catton/Iginla type to add to their pool, add 2 more high end forward prospects to go with Michkov, and will probably stink next year for 2 more picks but be able to give these guys a lot of playing time in the NHL.

I dunno. Just a thought. I feel this gives Buffalo some character, high end production for nothing off the current roster so they can really make a playoff run next year.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I suck at value threads, but was thinking of a TK + Laughton + FLA 1st for Ostlund, Kulich and Buff's 1st.

Rationale: Flyers need LW and C prospects. Both of those guys have high end up-side but it's still not Buf's best prospect (Savoie) who they can still hang on to, but those guys would slide in as #2 and #3 prospects on Flyers as well.

Buff gets 2 gritty, heart and soul players, one 1st line player, who'll putup 85+ next to their centers but also probably the best short-handed duo in the league to help the PK. Character 3C guy in Laughton. They still retain a 1st for their excellent drafting to replenish depth. Also assume here that TK will sign in Buffalo.

Flyers get a chance another shot at a Catton/Iginla type to add to their pool, add 2 more high end forward prospects to go with Michkov, and will probably stink next year for 2 more picks but be able to give these guys a lot of playing time in the NHL.

I dunno. Just a thought.

I don't see Buffalo thinking putting both Ostlund and Kulich into a deal is going to work all that well.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
I don't see Buffalo thinking putting both Ostlund and Kulich into a deal is going to work all that well.
That's fine, but then a smaller deal w/o one of TK or Laughton would probably have to be the way. Question then would become is one enough to change the character of the team. Usually need a couple.

But I think it's pretty fair as the deal still keeps Savoie in Buffalo.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
That's fine, but then a smaller deal w/o one of TK or Laughton would probably have to be the way. Question then would become is one enough to change the character of the team. Usually need a couple.

No interest in Laughton.

TK is a good player but not exactly what I would go after

Reactions: tsujimoto74

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Keeping Savoie or not, Laughton and the Panther pick isn't enough to get up to 11OA IMO and Kulich and Ostlund is IMO too much for 1 guaranteed year of Konecny.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Keeping Savoie or not, Laughton and the Panther pick isn't enough to get up to 11OA IMO and Kulich and Ostlund is IMO too much for 1 guaranteed year of Konecny.
Fair enough, but I did assume TK would be open to re-sign in original post. Assuming this is true, what about dropping the pick swap?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

I dunno. Just a thought. I feel this gives Buffalo some character, high end production for nothing off the current roster so they can really make a playoff run next year.
Buf pick vs PHL pick from FLS cost difference exceeds TK rental deadline return.

I dont care iui f th ET y acquire Laughton...not giving up recent high picks for him nir this years 1st or 2nd.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Fair enough, but I did assume TK would be open to re-sign in original post. Assuming this is true, what about dropping the pick swap?

So Konecny and Laughton for Ostlund and Kulich? I'm still looking at that hard. I would much rather they use picks to make the deal and keep the nearly ready Kulich in the system.

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny
As a Buffalo fan I like the Calgary deal and for the second deal I think we would just be better off removing Philly and Nic Deslauriers from the equation entirely.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
So Konecny and Laughton for Ostlund and Kulich? I'm still looking at that hard. I would much rather they use picks to make the deal and keep the nearly ready Kulich in the system.
Maybe you would - but you're talking about acquiring a (signed) 1st line winger through is prime and spiritual leader and not even giving up your best prospect?

IMO, we are skewing the other way too much at this point if you're looking for more, and would probably drop out and talk to other teams here.

If the intention is to actually try and make the playoffs next season (and probably the next 5, at least), TK >>>>>>>> Ostlund and Kulich combined. But understanding that value isn't just that, is why it's a classic trade for a future vs now approach.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Maybe you would - but you're talking about acquiring a (signed) 1st line winger through is prime and spiritual leader and not even giving up your best prospect?

IMO, we are skewing the other way too much at this point if you're looking for more, and would probably drop out and talk to other teams here.

I think Kulich and Savoie are neck and neck for who is the best prospect.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland

If the intention is to actually try and make the playoffs next season (and probably the next 5, at least), TK >>>>>>>> Ostlund and Kulich combined. But understanding that value isn't just that, is why it's a classic trade for a future vs now approach.
He's an undersized low tier 1st line wing that is a pending UFA, besides not being anything Buffalo needs He's not worth two top prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad