Proposal: Bringing Buffalo to the promised land (TB/PHI, CGY)

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I want to see the people of Buffalo don their finest sweatpants for a long overdue playoff run next season. I think they can make some big moves while still holding on to their very best trade chips

Trade 1:
Buffalo gets: Anthony Cirelli + Nic Deslauriers
Tampa gets: Peyton Krebs + Buffalo 2nd
Philly gets: Conor Sheary + Tampa 5th

The rationale for Tampa here would theoretically be opening up cap room so they can resign Stamkos + Duclair and add a defenceman. Cirelli would be a great add for Buff but I have a hard time pegging his value. He's a very good player but his cap hit seems high for his production, despite his excellent defensive play. I figure Krebs gives Tampa a decent young player they can plug into their 3rd line, and recoups a draft pick in a year where they are pretty barren
I have Philly sending Deslauriers here because Buffalo could use some more snarl and it seems like he's kinda on the outs in Philly now. They get a pick for the money difference between Sheary/ND

Trade 2:
Calgary gets: 11th overall, Jokiharju, Ostlund/Rosen
Buffalo gets: Rasmus Andersson, Calgary 3rd

Buffalo is stacked on D but all 4 of their best are lefties. Andersson gives them a bonafide top pairing RD on a sweetheart deal for two seasons and IMO would instantly vault them to the best D core in the league. He plays a little nasty too which Buffalo needs more of.
By acquiring 11th overall, Calgary would likely be able to grab both Tij Iginla (team needs aside, the franchise would obviously love to do this) and whoever is left of the top 6 D in the draft - I'd guess probably Buium, Yakemchuk or Dickinson. They also get a good forward prospect and a youngish 2nd pairing D

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Im Here for it as a Buffalo fan. Salary cap likely says hello adding like 11 mill in salary but sure
I feel like they could do it even with a couple big upgrades on the horizon no? There's like 11 million coming off the books + the cap increase

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Tampa gets absolutely ruined in the first trade.
Cirelli is tough to gauge value of but I certainly think Tampa expected he'd take another step when they signed that deal, could see him being a victim of restructuring their cap. I don't know how hungry of a market there would be for him at 6.25

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
As a Sabres fan I'd absolutely do those deals especially if it's Rosen over Ostlund in that Andersson deal. I have no idea how to value Cirelli either. He's a good player, but his salary is certainly a little high for a middle 6 forward. In previous exchanges with Flames fans most of them didn't seem interested in moving Andersson for anything short of an overpayment. This seems more in line with "fair value", so I'd imagine they'll probably be a lot more lukewarm on this deal than Sabres fans.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I want to see the people of Buffalo don their finest sweatpants for a long overdue playoff run next season. I think they can make some big moves while still holding on to their very best trade chips

Trade 1:
Buffalo gets: Anthony Cirelli + Nic Deslauriers
Tampa gets: Peyton Krebs + Buffalo 2nd
Philly gets: Conor Sheary + Tampa 5th

The rationale for Tampa here would theoretically be opening up cap room so they can resign Stamkos + Duclair and add a defenceman. Cirelli would be a great add for Buff but I have a hard time pegging his value. He's a very good player but his cap hit seems high for his production, despite his excellent defensive play. I figure Krebs gives Tampa a decent young player they can plug into their 3rd line, and recoups a draft pick in a year where they are pretty barren
I have Philly sending Deslauriers here because Buffalo could use some more snarl and it seems like he's kinda on the outs in Philly now. They get a pick for the money difference between Sheary/ND

Trade 2:
Calgary gets: 11th overall, Jokiharju, Ostlund/Rosen
Buffalo gets: Rasmus Andersson, Calgary 3rd

Buffalo is stacked on D but all 4 of their best are lefties. Andersson gives them a bonafide top pairing RD on a sweetheart deal for two seasons and IMO would instantly vault them to the best D core in the league. He plays a little nasty too which Buffalo needs more of.
By acquiring 11th overall, Calgary would likely be able to grab both Tij Iginla (team needs aside, the franchise would obviously love to do this) and whoever is left of the top 6 D in the draft - I'd guess probably Buium, Yakemchuk or Dickinson. They also get a good forward prospect and a youngish 2nd pairing D
I'd probably do the Calgary one if it was Ostlund. We badly need a C prospect. We don't have a top 9 center who is under 33 years old. Zary might play center, but every other C prospect we have is a 4th line type C if all goes well. Of course we also only have 3 top 4 defensemen... We pretty much need everything except goaltending and middle six wingers.

Reactions: Jared Dunn

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Well Krebs is not landing Cirrelli
Maybe, depends on Tampa's cap situation. Cirelli is a 6.25M cap hit. That's a lot for a 40 point guy who has struggled defensively the last 2 seasons compared to how he defended before.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Maybe, depends on Tampa's cap situation. Cirelli is a 6.25M cap hit. That's a lot for a 40 point guy who has struggled defensively the last 2 seasons compared to how he defended before.
This was my line of thinking, there's an argument he's not worth his cap hit but I'd be interested to know how Tampa fans view him right now

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Krebs and a second is mostly magic beans. So yeah I will take it but not sure that's where I want my cap going.

100% no on any D acquisition costing over 3m, just will not happen under any circumstances for this team. Just pretend Sabre's D doesn't exist until season starts.

3rd line C good defensively is the primary add this team needs. Top 6 winger is also a potential add.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
This was my line of thinking, there's an argument he's not worth his cap hit but I'd be interested to know how Tampa fans view him right now
I'm not a Tampa fan, but there is a case to be made both ways. Would he thrive with more opportunity? Or would he fail playing higher up the lineup? Tampa's cap crunch isn't prohibitive, but assuming Stamkos gets 6M and they need to fill out the roster with 3 forwards and 1 D going with 1 less guy in the stands, then do they want depth or will league min guys suffice? That's the question moving forward.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Cirelli is one of the best 2 way forwards in the game and is worth every penny of his contract. The absurd infatuation with point totals on this board is why you have people acting like he's not worth it for Tampa. I can't stress enough how moronic HF is when it comes to judging Cirelli's value as a player

In fairness, he is one of the few core players on TB without NMC, so from that standpoint he is a good target for any team trying to take the next step.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Cirelli is one of the best 2 way forwards in the game and is worth every penny of his contract. The absurd infatuation with point totals on this board is why you have people acting like he's not worth it for Tampa. I can't stress enough how moronic HF is when it comes to judging Cirelli's value as a player

In fairness, he is one of the few core players on TB without NMC, so from that standpoint he is a good target for any team trying to take the next step.
I'm not trying to downplay him, not like I'm saying he's a cap dump but Tampa may need to make some changes from a payroll standpoint unless they just let Stammer walk. I also think it's fair to say Tampa was expecting to see more out of him when they gave him that deal, I don't think that's a wild take

Reactions: malcb33

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Don't see Tampa doing this trade un less BUFF add a A prospect like Savoie

:laugh: Yeah there’s 0 chance Cirelli returns an asset of that caliber. I’m not sure sure you could even find more than 1-2 teams willing to take him without sending salary back. Tampa obviously signed him to his current deal thinking he’d eventually grow into (and hopefully outgrow) it, but he hasn’t taken any steps forward since then.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Tampa one is laughable.

I’d do the Andersson one if it was Ostlund. Only if Andersson indicates he wants to go on a team that isn’t entering a bit of a retool.

Reactions: CF84

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

His defensive metrics the last 2 years have actually been almost exactly average. In 21-22 he was excellent defensively. I'm not convinced at all Tampa will keep him moving forward.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I feel like they could do it even with a couple big upgrades on the horizon no? There's like 11 million coming off the books + the cap increase
Post Byram trade I have zero interest in Andersson anyways. There's no way long term you can keep Dahlin, Power, Andersson, Byram, Sammy....it will never work with the cap. Plus he's not really needed. You're essentially neutering his value by splitting up his PP and Ozone time amongst Dahlin, Power, Byram. What we need is more of an Oleksiak type (maybe not him exactly but you get the mold).

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Post Byram trade I have zero interest in Andersson anyways. There's no way long term you can keep Dahlin, Power, Andersson, Byram, Sammy....it will never work with the cap. Plus he's not really needed. You're essentially neutering his value by splitting up his PP and Ozone time amongst Dahlin, Power, Byram. What we need is more of an Oleksiak type (maybe not him exactly but you get the mold).

Yup. I would’ve been on board with trading a good amount for Andersson before the Byram trade happened, but now it really makes no sense. What we need now is a steady stay-at-home type.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
There's several of those guys available this summer but I think since there's like 10 teams looking for that exact player all of them have a chance to get pretty overpaid. Roy, Pesce, Tanev, Demelo, they'd all be perfect fits but I think you're competing with Toronto, Edmonton, Arizona, Anaheim, Van (for Tanev at least), Ottawa, New Jersey just off the top of my head. I also figured having Andersson in the mix will allow them to evaluate longer term how Dahlin/Byram/Power works out while having a contingency plan if they did decide to eventually move out Power

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad