Bring On Messier

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
NO ... MORE .... OLD BOYS ... CLUB

Thx ;)

I'm only cool with Fuhr as the goalie coach (Moog would cool too)
but the rest can go top to bottom. Key words, experience people to teach youth.

Howson as GM, god no. He had CBJ in the dirt for a long time, forget that noise.
I'm actually OK for now with MacT. He's aggressive enough for my liking and doesn't
sit on his hands like Tambo. On paper this team is acceptable. More has
to happen on the ice.

blobloblaw

Nov 6, 2014
Earth
Messier has it too easy answering questions like 'What's the next big thing in hockey?'. For the life of me I don't know why he'd want to become a coach, let alone of the Oilers. I don't recall hearing about any other teams having interest in him as a coach or a GM but for that reason alone I could see them wanting to hire him.

The Oilers really need to stop living in the 80's. The Stanley Cups are a generation removed and the playoffs will be too if they can't make massive changes to the organization. Hire the best 'non-Oiler' people available from the top on down, make them accountable, and only then will there be changes in performance on the ice. Hire a coach with NHL experience to start out with though, not Messier.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I can hear the phone call from Messier to Gretsky now

Messier: Greeettzzz come on, be my assistant.

Gretzky: Hangs up phone.

"phone dialing"

Messier: Jari! Buddy how the hell ya doing!

Semenko in the background: Wait so am I an assistant or an associate?

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Please no.

I still have very good feelings towards Mess and he was one of my all time favorite Oilers. I hope to keep it that way. I do not want to see him have to coach this mess of a team. I think more than anything, this team needs a solid veteran coach.

elpol

Re-Registered User
Nov 5, 2008
vancouver
How is this even worth considering? Another coach with zero NHL coaching experience. Is this the very definition of madness?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Mark is too smart to accept that. He has a sterling reputation in Edmonton, it would be badly tarnished if things didn't go well.

I say let it ride for the year and hire Terry Murray at season's end.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I would be OK with hiring Terry Murray as head coach and if he wanted Messier as assistant coach ... OK. That way he could be "groomed" to take over after a couple of years since Murray is a bit older. But that's only if Murray was cool with it.

But that's the only way I'd be OK with it. Hiring another rookie coach, no way.

I think Mark only considers this anyway if they Oilers land McDavid as well. Otherwise no.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I wouldn't mind giving him the title of dressing room stare down guy but that's about as far as it goes for me.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
btw

how much ACTUAL COACHING EXPERIENCE DOES MESS HAVE

Essentially zero. He coached Canada twice. Once in the Spenglar cup (runner up), and once at the Deutschland Cup (3rd place finish). That was in 2010. He's done nothing since, or prior.

There could be no worse choice than Mark Messier as head coach of this team. He has zero qualifications. There's every chance he could in fact be worse than Dallas Eakins. Does anyone think he'd come in and be able to implement strong systems play? Teach this kids how to play structured defense? Maybe his speeches about the good old days would work for a few weeks, but once those ran dry we'd be left with a guy who has no idea what he's doing.

The only option for new head coach should be someone with proven NHL head coaching success. There should be no other option in anyone elses mind.

Last edited:

rickyrunfar

Mar 1, 2014
Does anyone else the the appetite for another old boy? I ****ing don't. These Oiler legends I once worshiped I now fear they become part of management or coaching. Even Gretzky the best all time sucked as a coach.
Offer Babcock ten million a year and 50 bear hunting tags.

Spartan117

Oct 13, 2007
Parts Unknown
Can't we have a REAL NHL coach please? One with actual experience? I'd rather just bring back Krueger. Letting him go was a mistake.

Same here. No more former old boys trying to reproduce glory of the past as managers or executives.

Krueger should never have been fired, he was actually making progress. Eakin's is a disaster. He's not a player's coach. I thought this team needed an emotionless robot with good hair, I was wrong.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
No just no. Enough of the rookie coaches. I love Moose, and don't want to see him get tarnished, if his coaching is terrible. Get a coach that has NHL experience.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I'm sick and tired of the old boys club, and hiring rookies whether it be to carry the team on the ice, or to lead them from the bench.

Get somebody with some experience.

Plus it'd be an ugly day when the fans turn against messier, which is inevitable.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I have a feeling we see Brent Sutter here

2 or 3 years too late but I'd definitely be down with that. It has been mentioned that Mess could be the heir apparent so for the record I am not pushing for it, but if it happens it could ultimately be a good thing.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
THREE 1st overall picks, 7th, 3rd...we still suck badly.

Petry is our only current Oiler player picked past the first round (Marincin sent down).

Semenko - scout
Lowe - president of hockey ops
MacTavish - GM
Katz - 80's rich kid getting richer off the town of Edmonton, previous 80's ball washer

Please don't hire another 80's Oiler to try and relive his past.

In hindsight, maybe it would have been better for Katz to take the team to Seattle, surely Edmonton would have gotten another team with an Owner who cares a little about his hockey team and the people's contribution to new rink.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
If the plan is to have Messier to replace Eakins then just do it already. Messier is the top dog of the OBC to have joined the club in a management position.
I hope that isn't the plan. I honestly believe that isn't the plan. If that is the plan I am going to lmfao, and then fall down and lmfao some more. Past that point I'll only be watching Oilers hockey for the laffs.
Fans would be harder pressed to turn on him than on guys like Lowe and MacT who have already had their kicks at the cat and failed.
That's a bit cynical isn't it Bryan? :sarcasm:
That said, I do think fans in Edmonton would turn on Messier if he failed as badly as Lowe has failed.
It would also mean that MacT and likely Lowe would be on the clock because the biggest name other than #99 himself from the dynasty teams would be back and he'd probably have a longer leash than the other two from the owner.
If anything MacT/Lowe have more job security with Messier wouldn't you think? I mean Katz would now have to tell not two but three guys who won SCs in this town that they are wrong/fired/incompetent/a liability - and that's presuming he even cares enough about the Oilers to take notice of what goes on with the team on a daily basis. As long as he isn't losing money (which he won't be in the new arena) I think the OBC can go hog wild with this franchise, and Mr Katz will just smile real big on draft day.
It would likely be the last coaching hire of Kevin Lowe's and Craig MacTavish's management careers.
Well I think its a given that neither of them will have "management careers" if they are ever fired by the Oilers. They'll just retire or go on TV.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
**** Messier.

Truly the best thing the Oilers can do tomorrow is make Ramsay INTERIM head coach. But that also takes this team out of the running for Connor McDavid because anyone with a brain could put together better lines and motivate a team better than "Chop wood tacos briefcase".

At this point it's best to let Eakins embarass himself more. Trade Eberle for anything. Draft McDavid and start again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad