Bring On Messier

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If the plan is to have Messier to replace Eakins then just do it already. Messier is the top dog of the OBC to have joined the club in a management position. Fans would be harder pressed to turn on him than on guys like Lowe and MacT who have already had their kicks at the cat and failed. It would also mean that MacT and likely Lowe would be on the clock because the biggest name other than #99 himself from the dynasty teams would be back and he'd probably have a longer leash than the other two from the owner.

If Messier succeeds it's a win, if he fails the OBC could be run out of town forever as unless Gretz himself takes on a role it will show that even one of the greatest captains in NHL history couldn't turn the ship around. It would likely be the last coaching hire of Kevin Lowe's and Craig MacTavish's management careers.

davidsitar

Apr 12, 2011
I agree lets bring him in and see what happens. I would take Messier all day every day over Eakins. Do I think that it is another smart move to bring in a rookie coach? Definitely not but it seems like something the Oilers would do and I would be interested in seeing the results.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Can't we have a REAL NHL coach please? One with actual experience? I'd rather just bring back Krueger. Letting him go was a mistake.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
If Messier is the next coach, I will never watch the Oilers again (unless they sack every single member of management, so ... yeah, never).

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
Guys, I haveny posted here in ages, but come on... we've been talking about the samething for years. Forget the Old Boys and the 80's Oilers, who the hell cares about them. 1984 was a lifetime ago. If we want an OBC today, someone track down Mike Greer, Todd Marchant (maybe even Terry M) and Doug Weight... I would be happy with them taking over the team.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
If the plan is to have Messier to replace Eakins then just do it already. Messier is the top dog of the OBC to have joined the club in a management position. Fans would be harder pressed to turn on him than on guys like Lowe and MacT who have already had their kicks at the cat and failed. It would also mean that MacT and likely Lowe would be on the clock because the biggest name other than #99 himself from the dynasty teams would be back and he'd probably have a longer leash than the other two from the owner.

If Messier succeeds it's a win, if he fails the OBC could be run out of town forever as unless Gretz himself takes on a role it will show that even one of the greatest captains in NHL history couldn't turn the ship around. It would likely be the last coaching hire of Kevin Lowe's and Craig MacTavish's management careers.

BBO--love ya baby--but lay off the cheap mai ties on the big Island man, no going surfing and might I suggest either finding a nice, quiet warm place to lay down for awhile or rehab

davidsitar

Apr 12, 2011
You guys gotta admit though, you would rather see Messier behind the bench over Eakins, it would provide some entertainment value at least. lol.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
You guys gotta admit though, you would rather see Messier behind the bench over Eakins, it would provide some entertainment value at least. lol.
Definitely. His meltdowns would be legendary and I think he'd scare some of the players out of bad habits.

I'd much rather have an experienced NHL coach but with the way this franchise is run Messier is probably next in line.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Messier wouldn't take **** from the players and if they couldn't respect the man with all that he did then they won't respect anyone. Now don't get me wrong, I'd sooner an experienced coach that can handle a skilled team, but we could do worse than Messier and IMO we have worse right now.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Messier wants to be a GM. Don't see why he'd want to coach this group.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Just finish the year off by promoting Nelson. He's already loved by the players and if he does a good job then you keep him around. If he does a poor job you can always hire one of the many coaches looking for work in the off season. Eakins needs to go, he has zero respect from the fan base, media and it seems the players as well.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Just finish the year off by promoting Nelson. He's already loved by the players and if he does a good job then you keep him around. If he does a poor job you can always hire one of the many coaches looking for work in the off season. Eakins needs to go, he has zero respect from the fan base, media and it seems the players as well.

I don't know why you wouldn't bring in a guy that can actually coach at the NHL level so the players can learn his system. Bringing in another coach and then potentially ANOTHER after that would just be backwards.

davidsitar

Apr 12, 2011

Good logic sir.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
First off, I would like a coach with real NHL experience

But I say if they're bringing in Messier then hire Gretzky as well. Go all in. If you're going to give the old boys club one last shot, then go nuts. If Gretz doesn't want to move back here, then let him have some crazy role where he joins the team for games in the US that he chooses and offer up ideas and remote video conferencing after watching game film. Hell, see what it would cost to buy Huddy out and bring him back. I always thought he taught the D well.

Messier, Huddy, Ramsay, and Gretz stops by from time to time.

But in all seriousness, I agree with BBO. If that's the plan then do it already. What we are currently doing isn't working. Change it.

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
First off, I would like a coach with real NHL experience

But I say if they're bringing in Messier then hire Gretzky as well. Go all in. If you're going to give the old boys club one last shot, then go nuts. If Gretz doesn't want to move back here, then let him have some crazy role where he joins the team for games in the US that he chooses and offer up ideas and remote video conferencing after watching game film. Hell, see what it would cost to buy Huddy out and bring him back. I always thought he taught the D well.

Messier, Huddy, Ramsay, and Gretz stops by from time to time.

But in all seriousness, I agree with BBO. If that's the plan then do it already. What we are currently doing isn't working. Change it.
at least Messier will have some emotions behind the bench and will stare down Kassians from bench

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
Oilers new management

Howson - GM

Messier HC/Assistant GM
Associate coach Ramsey
PP coach - Coffey
goalie coach - Fuhr
second assistant coach - Ryan McGil or Ken Linseman

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
I would have been OK with Messier a few years ago but enough is enough. End the Old Boys Club and get management and coaches that have legitimate experience. Playing and coaching/managing are two different things.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
We don't know if Katz will want to fire all of them even if the team bombs. He's buds with legendary Oilers, while owning and making money on the Oilers. Doesn't get any better than that.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
Haha oh my god **** yes. I mean, has this guy even coached a ****ing batam game yet? Make Smyth an assistant while you're at it, **** real coaches.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
If they were serious about making an impact, fire Eakins and name Ramsay as interim for the rest of the season. Then go big game hunting in the off season. Offer Babcock or another good coach fired because they lost the first round input in roster decisions and a truckload of money. Basically make him an offer he cannot refuse.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
**** yes.

mess for headcoach, fuhr goalie coach, fire that ****** rocky and child murderer ramsey, bring in ryan smyth and shane corson as assistant coaches

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad