Bring On Messier

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Shouldn't Messier be like... you know... actually coaching somewhere right now if he's going to be even semi-qualified to coach an NHL team?

For the Edmonton Oilers? no

That kind of qualification type discrimination may fly in 29 other NHL cities, but not Edmonton.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
If they were serious about making an impact, fire Eakins and name Ramsay as interim for the rest of the season. Then go big game hunting in the off season. Offer Babcock or another good coach fired because they lost the first round input in roster decisions and a truckload of money. Basically make him an offer he cannot refuse.

This.

However I am so sick of Eakins I would even welcome messier at this point, terrible as that would be.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Shouldn't Messier be like... you know... actually coaching somewhere right now if he's going to be even semi-qualified to coach an NHL team?
The big question is why isn't he? Anywhere. The only explanation that makes sense to me is that he isn't interested in doing the work or committing to coaching a team unless it's in the NHL. That sends up all kinds of red flags to me.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Messier wouldn't take **** from the players and if they couldn't respect the man with all that he did then they won't respect anyone. Now don't get me wrong, I'd sooner an experienced coach that can handle a skilled team, but we could do worse than Messier and IMO we have worse right now.

Ha, haven't heard that one before.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Personally, I find it very hard to believe that Messier would even want to be a head coach, especially for a team where his direct boss (MacTavish) would be someone who was a subordinate to Messier back in their playing days. Messier was a huge alpha male, it's hard to see him being anyone's underling.

But say I'm wrong and he did want to be a head coach...I'm not entirely convinced that he'd be this "throw them up against the wall" Mess that the fans fondly remember. I thought he'd actually mellowed a fair bit. He's 53 now, he might not be the same guy anymore.

Pourinthecoal

Jul 13, 2009
First off, Mess is in no position to be an NHL head coach, doesn't have the experience and hasn't put the time to be one. The result would most likely be worst than the Gretz stint in Arizona. The only thing that will happen, regardless of what all these insiders report, if Eakins is the head coach for the remainder of the year. If there's any progress, there's a slim chance he keeps the job. Otherwise he's gone for a number of reasons: This draft is a tanking teams wet dream. If the oil pick in the top 5-6 there's potential for a huge talent to be added for the future (notwithstanding the scouts screwing the pick up or Katz getting involved, both very real possibilities). As well, the pick can potentially be moved for a legitimate impact center or defence as trade bait. Second, its obvious that there are no rash decisions made from Oil management, things are bled out until it's dead. They will be assessing the rest of the year. Third, I fully expect Rexall to start emptying out if the suck continues, I'm at the point where I'm not watching games often anymore, and I'm not the only one. When this happens, there will be no choice but to do some house cleaning, Eakins will have gotten his two years in (and four years pay), both sides will happily separate.

But it obvious after all these years that the old boys management has cursed this team. If Rexall empties out a few thousand by the end of the season I can't see any reason why Katz wouldn't finally cut Lowe. But I've been wrong on this before.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Personally, I find it very hard to believe that Messier would even want to be a head coach, especially for a team where his direct boss (MacTavish) would be someone who was a subordinate to Messier back in their playing days. Messier was a huge alpha male, it's hard to see him being anyone's underling.

But say I'm wrong and he did want to be a head coach...I'm not entirely convinced that he'd be this "throw them up against the wall" Mess that the fans fondly remember. I thought he'd actually mellowed a fair bit. He's 53 now, he might not be the same guy anymore.
I didn't think he was interested in coaching this team at first either but he sure has spent a lot of time around the team and in Edmonton. I thought his job was a New York based scout or advisor or something. Messier isn't an alpha male in the executive circles in the NHL and maybe he learned that in his time in New York. He's really done nothing of note in hockey since his playing days ended and if he ever wants to give it a shot this is probably the only chance he's ever going to get.

I suspect you're very right when you say he likely wouldn't be a "throw them up against the wall type". In addition to him being much older, todays players just don't tolerate that attitude anymore. THe CBA was very owner or team friendly in Messier's day. Players didn't have a choice but to put up with whatever happened to them. Today a phone call to an agent is all it would take to put an end to that.

If Messier doesn't have coaching experience and he can't use the intimidation he was famous for, what exactly does he bring? The game has changed so much since he played. Those six Stanley Cups he won as a player don't mean anything in today's game. We've learned that the hard way.

It makes zero sense for him to coach this team but this management team.... Wouldn't surprise anyone.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I didn't think he was interested in coaching this team at first either but he sure has spent a lot of time around the team and in Edmonton. I thought his job was a New York based scout or advisor or something. Messier isn't an alpha male in the executive circles in the NHL and maybe he learned that in his time in New York. He's really done nothing of note in hockey since his playing days ended and if he ever wants to give it a shot this is probably the only chance he's ever going to get.

I suspect you're very right when you say he likely wouldn't be a "throw them up against the wall type". In addition to him being much older, todays players just don't tolerate that attitude anymore. THe CBA was very owner or team friendly in Messier's day. Players didn't have a choice but to put up with whatever happened to them. Today a phone call to an agent is all it would take to put an end to that.

If Messier doesn't have coaching experience and he can't use the intimidation he was famous for, what exactly does he bring? The game has changed so much since he played. Those six Stanley Cups he won as a player don't mean anything in today's game. We've learned that the hard way.

It makes zero sense for him to coach this team but this management team.... Wouldn't surprise anyone.

This. They always have some secret, unconventional idea up their sleeve. I'd almost be surprised if they didn't bring in Messier and hired an experienced, proven NHL coach. That would make too much sense, be too normal.

McDeathbyCheerios*

This. They always have some secret, unconventional idea up their sleeve. I'd almost be surprised if they didn't bring in Messier and hired an experienced, proven NHL coach. That would make too much sense, be too normal.
I'd be okay with Messier being added in as an assistant. He could teach the players to play with the heart and balls he did. Help them with practice and yell at them for sucking on the bench. We need a real coach though

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
He could teach the players to play with the heart and balls he did.

Just my opinion, but I'm not sure that's something you can actually teach.

I think it's one of those "you either have it or you don't" attributes. It might be something you improve on yourself as you gain experience, or something you can cultivate in others by leading by example on the ice, but a coach teaching it? I have my doubts.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Different game from when he played and it doesn't sound like he's spent any time updating to the new brand of hockey. That said, if they televise his between period rants and the occasional Eberle/Purcell/Nitkinin choking I could put up with it for a few games.

Butane Fan

Jan 29, 2013
Cowtown
Mess would not sit back and take crap from the refs when they make questionable calls. Eakins I have never seen him protest anything type of guy that would apologize for bleeding on the floor after ya stabbed him 20 times. I have no idea why I guess Eakins finds it beneath him to question a call or back his players

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Mess would not sit back and take crap from the refs when they make questionable calls. Eakins I have never seen him protest anything type of guy that would apologize for bleeding on the floor after ya stabbed him 20 times. I have no idea why I guess Eakins finds it beneath him to question a call or back his players
Eakins knows the cameras are on him at all times and he doesn't want to look like an idiot. He said this last year. That's my guess to why he's always emotionless on the bench.

Eirhead*

I think Katz needs to make Babcock an offer he can't refuse first. I know, I know, blah blah blah, he wants to go to a winner or something. But money talks, and Babcock is the best in the business right now IMO.

And I'm pretty sure free-agent frenzy gets a little easier when Babcock is your coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad