Proposal: Bring Lucic to MN

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
What do you think is more valuable? The 8th overall player who could be with the team for 10+ years or the 6M in cap that is on the team for at most 4 years?
Losing the cap space would suck, but not as much as losing the protection slot in the expansion draft. Hard pass on that one.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
What do you think is more valuable? The 8th overall player who could be with the team for 10+ years or the 6M in cap that is on the team for at most 4 years?
I mean using that same logic why not just start taking on bad contracts to stockpile picks along with them? Edmonton is in a win now mode with McDavid. Every year Lucic is there is another year Edmonton hasn't done all they can do to win. 8th overall might be too much to give away, but the 2019-2020 season is also a big thing to give away.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Losing the cap space would suck, but not as much as losing the protection slot in the expansion draft. Hard pass on that one.
And you're gaining a big asset that doesn't need to be protected at the same time. Kind of offsets the negative of protecting Lucic. Not to mention you could probably get him to waive for Seattle.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
And you're gaining a big asset that doesn't need to be protected at the same time. Kind of offsets the negative of protecting Lucic. Not to mention you could probably get him to waive for Seattle.
After how Vegas went it's not a problem I'm interested in taking on, personally.

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
The idea of Lucic being in a Wild jersey makes me want to implode.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yeah but I feel like that's just Lucic making random comments, most likely because of his bad time in Edmonton. Lucic would not be recieved well in Van and the owner would also be upset in acquiring him. If they made a deal together it would be bad contract for bad contract.

Nah man, those comments were pretty telling. You don’t frequently hear those types of comments from NHL players.

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
Nah man, those comments were pretty telling. You don’t frequently hear those types of comments from NHL players.
Who knows, it just seemed to me like he was being grilled about those types of questions to which he answered accordingly and honestly. But theres no way Lucic gets traded anywhere without EDM taking an equally worse contract or adding signifigantly.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Who knows, it just seemed to me like he was being grilled about those types of questions to which he answered accordingly and honestly. But theres no way Lucic gets traded anywhere without EDM taking an equally worse contract or adding signifigantly.

I think that is what the premise of this thread is about.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I don't think Edmonton is going pay the 8th overall to swap out Lucic for Rask.
Lucic is 6 mil for 4 more years. Rask is 4 for 3. Big difference.

Rask is also a player the Oilers could use. Their center depth is weak with RHN and LD better on the wing.

They also drop 2.2 million in cap immediately.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Lucic is 6 mil for 4 more years. Rask is 4 for 3. Big difference.

Rask is also a player the Oilers could use. Their center depth is weak with RHN and LD better on the wing.

They also drop 2.2 million in cap immediately.

They aren't both better on the wing. They are both notably better on McDavid's wing, which is expected. One of them still has to play 2nd line center, and Victor Rask isn't going to push either aside.

$2.2 million isn't worth the 8th pick.

Reactions: 2Pair

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
I say we just make this trade, suck for another 3-4 years, win the lotto once or twice and then come out swinging:

Caufield-Lafreniere-Kaprizov
Greenway-Newhook-2021 3rd OA
Kunin-JEE—Donato
Lucic-x-Parise

AL can play anywhere lol.

Last edited:

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
They aren't both better on the wing. They are both notably better on McDavid's wing, which is expected. One of them still has to play 2nd line center, and Victor Rask isn't going to push either aside.

$2.2 million isn't worth the 8th pick.
Weak description of value.

$7 million in cash saved. That works out to a ballpark increase of 5-10 percent for their profits/year moving forward.

High 2nd in draft where not much value drop from mid-first.

Middle-6 center.

LWer with speed and grit that Oilers need in bottom-6.

2.2 million in cap relief immediately.

For 8th overall in a draft where there is a big drop off after the top-2.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Lucid is a worse player than Foligno right now, is declining hard, and is signed for 4 more years. Think about that for a moment.

Is the cost of an 8oa pick 24M? Because Lucic is likely a replacement level player as soon as next year....in other words, we can get a better player from Iowa. You look at playing him for one, maybe two years, then buy him out. The guy is done, finished...he Dany Heatley at the end of his run, but with fighting rather than offensive skills. The type of game he plays ( that he can no longer play) doesn't work anymore in the NHL.

No way in hell I send a 2nd to EDM to take on Lucic.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Weak description of value.

$7 million in cash saved. That works out to a ballpark increase of 5-10 percent for their profits/year moving forward.

High 2nd in draft where not much value drop from mid-first.

Middle-6 center.

LWer with speed and grit that Oilers need in bottom-6.

2.2 million in cap relief immediately.

For 8th overall in a draft where there is a big drop off after the top-2.

I give you credit for the spin.

Reactions: 2Pair

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I give you credit for the spin.
Getting an offer rejected >>>>>>> making no offers because you are afraid of being hung up on.

If you are so afraid of offending the other team, don't. They dont care. All you are doing is stating the obvious, that you are a team maximizing your value.

But if you are afraid to ask for the moon, you never get it, and you instead wait until somebody offers you Rask for Nino, and you take it because maybe your assets are as bad as you worry them to be, instead of as good as the other team hopes them to be.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Getting an offer rejected >>>>>>> making no offers because you are afraid of being hung up on.

If you are so afraid of offending the other team, don't. They dont care. All you are doing is stating the obvious, that you are a team maximizing your value.

But if you are afraid to ask for the moon, you never get it, and you instead wait until somebody offers you Rask for Nino, and you take it because maybe your assets are as bad as you worry them to be, instead of as good as the other team hopes them to be.
Except no one's making actual offers or phone calls here. All of these conversations would be much different if they had any kind of consequences.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad