Proposal: Bring Lucic to MN

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Wondering if fans would do a trade around Lucic and 8OA for our 2nd this year? I think if we were going to really go for a rebuild I’d be fine with it, but otherwise I’d want nothing to do with that contract. It would just be interesting to have the opportunity to draft a Turcotte or Dach level player @ 8OA. By the time anybody we draft this year needs a new contract, Lucic would be gone.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I don’t think Edmonton should be trading their pick just to get rid of Lucic and I don’t think they will be. I think a GM like Benning will be dumb enough to bite on some kind of trade that completely screws his team.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Wondering if fans would do a trade around Lucic and 8OA for our 2nd this year? I think if we were going to really go for a rebuild I’d be fine with it, but otherwise I’d want nothing to do with that contract. It would just be interesting to have the opportunity to draft a Turcotte or Dach level player @ 8OA. By the time anybody we draft this year needs a new contract, Lucic would be gone.
Holding back the vomit for a moment...

He's a LW making $6m for 4 more years. Assuming we don't just bury him, we'd probably need to move out Foligno for him to have any sort of a role on the team, so in that respect it's "only" an extra $3.125 in cap space for the next 2 seasons.

Still, having $13.5m tied up in Parise and Lucic while we've got a horde of younger LW's that deserve opportunity and playing time is hard to swallow.

Reactions: Dakota Sioux

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
its an interesting proposal but im worried we'd have to protect him in an expansion which i'd hate to do. i'd luv adding the 8th pick! then trading foligno.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
its an interesting proposal but im worried we'd have to protect him in an expansion which i'd hate to do. i'd luv adding the 8th pick! then trading foligno.

I'm pretty sure his being traded to us would require him to waive his contract clauses, and we wouldn't have to honor them after he does.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
I'm pretty sure his being traded to us would require him to waive his contract clauses, and we wouldn't have to honor them after he does.
I believe we would? I was under the impression the only time the acquiring team has the option to remove the NTC/NMC is if they acquired the player before it went into effect?

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
this could solve our C issues replacing both staal & koivu in a few years. draft 2 top C's then year 4 maybe buyout the last year of lucic's contract.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Our 2nd? No.

A 6th? Possibly, but I wouldn't keep him on roster. Retain a portion and move on.

This is the only way I’d be down with this. I’d send a 3rd back though, but yeah, then I’d retain some salary and send him out for a 6th or something.

Draft Dach/Zegras/Turcotte at 8
Draft Newhook/Boldy/Knight at 12

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
This is the only way I’d be down with this. I’d send a 3rd back though, but yeah, then I’d retain some salary and send him out for a 6th or something.

Draft Dach/Zegras/Turcotte at 8
Draft Newhook/Boldy/Knight at 12

As bad as he's been, I think there'd be buyers for him at $3 million.

The question is whether we could absorb $3 million in dead money for the next 4 years. If we think we're players for Duchene/Panarin/whoever, then probably not. If it's an asset grab and a "1 step back for 3 steps forward" type of strategy, then I don't think it's a problem.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
As bad as he's been, I think there'd be buyers for him at $3 million.

The question is whether we could absorb $3 million in dead money for the next 4 years. If we think we're players for Duchene/Panarin/whoever, then probably not. If it's an asset grab and a "1 step back for 3 steps forward" type of strategy, then I don't think it's a problem.

My plan was to retain 1-2M, whatever would be just enough to move him for a 6th

Goose312

May 15, 2015
My plan was to retain 1-2M, whatever would be just enough to move him for a 6th
You're not getting the 8th overall pick to take a guy overpaid by 1-2 million. If Edmonton or the Wild were to retain max then they'd be lucky to have anyone pick him up for future considerations.

Reactions: 2Pair

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

Nope

I believe we would? I was under the impression the only time the acquiring team has the option to remove the NTC/NMC is if they acquired the player before it went into effect?

Yep

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You're not getting the 8th overall pick to take a guy overpaid by 1-2 million. If Edmonton or the Wild were to retain max then they'd be lucky to have anyone pick him up for future considerations.

Then I don’t do it. Simple.

But for what it’s worth, you’re crazy to think Lucic wouldn’t still have interest at 3M, maybe even 4.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Then I don’t do it. Simple.

But for what it’s worth, you’re crazy to think Lucic wouldn’t still have interest at 3M, maybe even 4.
3-4 million for 4 years on a poor skating 4th line winger with a habit of taking bad penalties. The guy's a goon in a league moving away from exactly the only thing he's still able to bring. His career and ability to play hockey disappeared the last 2 seasons. But sure, I'm the crazy one for thinking that no team will jump at the chance to take Lucic because his worst in the league contract is reduced to just a top 5 worst in the league contract that's also buyout proof.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
OK - I actually like this proposal. Don't think Edmonton would do it... but maybe Lucic and 8OA for Zucker?

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
I don’t think Edmonton should be trading their pick just to get rid of Lucic and I don’t think they will be. I think a GM like Benning will be dumb enough to bite on some kind of trade that completely screws his team.
I don't think even Benning is that dumb.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
What do you think is more valuable? The 8th overall player who could be with the team for 10+ years or the 6M in cap that is on the team for at most 4 years?

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
Have you heard heard Lucic’s comments about going to Vancouver? It sounds like he’s already been made aware of something.
Yeah but I feel like that's just Lucic making random comments, most likely because of his bad time in Edmonton. Lucic would not be recieved well in Van and the owner would also be upset in acquiring him. If they made a deal together it would be bad contract for bad contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad