Proposal: Bring Lack Back

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Yeah, I would do that. Lack hasn't worked out in Carolina for a variety of reasons, and a Marky/Lack tandem will bring memories of their Brynas days. To me, it beats bringing Miller back at 4-5 M as we solidify ourselves into the era of suck. One thing I'm concerned about is Marky's ability to take the reins as our legit number 1 guy, but hopefully we can blame someone else for that (and it isn't that much of a concern).

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Part of me says **** it, why not. He's signed for only one more year at $2.75M, it would help ensure Markstrom gets more starts, and we'd get a likable personality back on the team. Also, free draft pick.

On the other hand, Melanson is gone and Carolina did a good job screwing up how Lack plays in net, so getting him to play decently again won't be an easy feat.

Draftists might argue that this would work in Vancouver's favour anyway, if the rebuild is to continue into next year and the 2018 draft. :sarcasm:

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
Draftists might argue that this would work in Vancouver's favour anyway, if the rebuild is to continue into next year and the 2018 draft. :sarcasm:

hahah though is that sarcasm? I think it's a multi-winning situation in a) get a lovible Lack back b)get a pick c) avoid Miller and d) if we suck does it really matter?

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
As much as I would like to have Eddie back, I think that boat has sailed from a management perspective as well as from a Eddie perspective.

From a management perspective,
  • Trading for Eddie would imply that they made a mistake trading him away in the first place and admitting fault is something these clowns are incapable of.
  • Having insight into how goalies work and the interactions between goalies and goalie coaches is way too complex of a thought process for these clowns. Remember, these guys make their decisions based on learned shortcuts and not through critical analysis. It's much easier to give Ryan Miller 6M dollars than it is to figure out why Eddie had the success that he had when he was with us and if it's possible to replicate it.
From a Eddie perspective, for various reasons (goalie coach? concussion) Eddie has stumbled rather badly in his stint with Carolina. I won't pretend to understand what Eddie is going through but the one thing that I DO know is that in order for Eddie to regain his mojo, he needs to win and that's not gonna happen very often if he joins the Canucks.

So for Eddie's personal well-being, I would advise him to stay the **** away from this team.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
I would do Derek Dorsett for Eddie Lack.

Vancouver gets a backup goalie, Carolina gets a bottom-6 forward: better allocation of cap space for both teams imo

JustinW

Dec 14, 2006
I would do Derek Dorsett for Eddie Lack.

Vancouver gets a backup goalie, Carolina gets a bottom-6 forward: better allocation of cap space for both teams imo

Not a bad idea... I am a bit hesitant to trade any draft picks for Lack since we are rebuilding. This works though for both parties.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Maybe Lack or Ward get taken in the expansion draft and Carolina has no reason to make a trade

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
As much as I would like to have Eddie back, I think that boat has sailed from a management perspective as well as from a Eddie perspective.

From a management perspective,
  • Trading for Eddie would imply that they made a mistake trading him away in the first place and admitting fault is something these clowns are incapable of.
  • Having insight into how goalies work and the interactions between goalies and goalie coaches is way too complex of a thought process for these clowns. Remember, these guys make their decisions based on learned shortcuts and not through critical analysis. It's much easier to give Ryan Miller 6M dollars than it is to figure out why Eddie had the success that he had when he was with us and if it's possible to replicate it.
From a Eddie perspective, for various reasons (goalie coach? concussion) Eddie has stumbled rather badly in his stint with Carolina. I won't pretend to understand what Eddie is going through but the one thing that I DO know is that in order for Eddie to regain his mojo, he needs to win and that's not gonna happen very often if he joins the Canucks.

So for Eddie's personal well-being, I would advise him to stay the **** away from this team.

I'm sure I'm misreading this, but it sounds like you still feel Benning made a mistake trading Lack. Pretty obvious with hindsight that using some cap space to add Miller and then acquiring 2 picks for Lack was almost perfectly played by GMJB. Would have been perfect if he could have acquired a pick for Miller at the deadline, but I haven't heard even the most negative of the "dim jim" crowd hold that against Benningas there simply wasn't a market.

I'd have no issues adding an asset along with Lack (or just doing dump for dump). But have to say, when it comes to the Lack / Miller controversy from 3 years ago, pretty decisive win for GMJB over the dim jims. Which raises the question, what is the appropriate nickname for posters whose read of the situation was so much, eh, dimmer than the Dim Jim himself?

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Part of me says **** it, why not. He's signed for only one more year at $2.75M, it would help ensure Markstrom gets more starts, and we'd get a likable personality back on the team. Also, free draft pick.

On the other hand, Melanson is gone and Carolina did a good job screwing up how Lack plays in net, so getting him to play decently again won't be an easy feat.

Melanson isn't quite gone, he's working with Demko part time isn't he?

Though I think the tantalizing prospect that Demko presents is likely the only reason he's still around.

As for Lack I would like to have him back, he wasn't given a fair shot in Carolina and is a better player than his numbers there indicate. At worst he helps us tank at best he can challenge Markstrom

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I'd first try to get a good asset out of Dallas along with Niemi. They're in a tougher spot.

But 3rd + Lack for an AHL scrub (Stewart etc) might be a good fallback option.

I have faith in Lack, he was very strong for us less than 2 years ago and with the right coaching can get back to that level.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Melanson isn't quite gone, he's working with Demko part time isn't he?

Though I think the tantalizing prospect that Demko presents is likely the only reason he's still around.

As for Lack I would like to have him back, he wasn't given a fair shot in Carolina and is a better player than his numbers there indicate. At worst he helps us tank at best he can challenge Markstrom

Well yeah, he's basically working part-time in a prospect development role, probably just for Demko.

I'd do Lack + a 2018 3rd for a 7th or Lack for Dorsett. It's only a one year deal so if continues to suck then it's only for one year. If he bounces back then we get a solid 1B goalie who we *could* flip at the deadline.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Why would the Hurricanes, a team in the same rebuild mode that we are in, spend a 3rd rounder to drop a bad one year contract in Lack? The Hurricanes aren't competing next year, why would they care? Besides that, Lack isn't really a NHL caliber goalie and wouldn't be much use to us as a backup.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Maybe Lack or Ward get taken in the expansion draft and Carolina has no reason to make a trade

Not based on the depth available so far:

Howard (best goalie available and they need to spend money somewhere)
Korpisalo (not waiver eligible)
Grubauer
Raanta
Subban
Nilsson (UFA)
Hutchinson
Bachman (laugh but they need two goalies in the AHL and only really Korpisalo is waiver free)

I'm not sure how Lack gets taken.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Why would the Hurricanes, a team in the same rebuild mode that we are in, spend a 3rd rounder to drop a bad one year contract in Lack? The Hurricanes aren't competing next year, why would they care? Besides that, Lack isn't really a NHL caliber goalie and wouldn't be much use to us as a backup.

Only valid reason is reducing salary.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
I'm sure I'm misreading this, but it sounds like you still feel Benning made a mistake trading Lack. Pretty obvious with hindsight that using some cap space to add Miller and then acquiring 2 picks for Lack was almost perfectly played by GMJB. Would have been perfect if he could have acquired a pick for Miller at the deadline, but I haven't heard even the most negative of the "dim jim" crowd hold that against Benningas there simply wasn't a market.

I'd have no issues adding an asset along with Lack (or just doing dump for dump). But have to say, when it comes to the Lack / Miller controversy from 3 years ago, pretty decisive win for GMJB over the dim jims. Which raises the question, what is the appropriate nickname for posters whose read of the situation was so much, eh, dimmer than the Dim Jim himself?

Well that depends on what would have been gain if we had traded miller. Him playing the majority of games got us to 28th and 29th. Congratulations Jim!

Edit: oh I see, 18m over 3 years for a 3rd and 7th. Great work.

Last edited:

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
To Van: Lack and a 3rd round pick

To Car: 7th round pick

Logic ... Carolina just signed Darling to a 4 year contract. They already have Ward and Lack signed for next year. And the Hurricanes have three 2nd round picks and two 3rd round picks in next years draft. They could easily part with a 3rd rounder to unload Lack from the books.
Vancouver is in need of a backup goalie. They could bring a familiar face back, along with an extra pick. If Lack doesn't work out with the big club, Vancouver could swap him with Bachman in Utica.

Not a bad idea if we get the draft choice in the deal but wonder if Lack has fully recovered from neck injury and is eligible for trade. Positive point is only a year left on his contract. IMO kind of thinking needed for a rebuilding team but beyond the level of Benning's thinking.

I think too few recognize just how dull the man is and how these types of moves will not happen with the present regime.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Not a bad idea if we get the draft choice in the deal but wonder if Lack has fully recovered from neck injury and is eligible for trade. Positive point is only a year left on his contract. IMO kind of thinking needed for a rebuilding team but beyond the level of Benning's thinking.

I think too few recognize just how dull the man is and how these types of moves will not happen with the present regime.

Oh we realize it. We are in a collective denial. We think that it's possible good things can happen while we wait for his firing.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Although some posters were fuming about it at the time, you'd have to say that the Lack deal is one of the few 'winners' for Jimbo....a third and a seventh is about as good as they could have done.....and unless the 'Canes can unload him in a trade, my guess is he ends up on waivers and can be had for nothing.....a chance Lack even ends up in the AHL next year......maybe the Jets take a chance on him....was a mainstay for the old Moose.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Not based on the depth available so far:

Howard (best goalie available and they need to spend money somewhere)
Korpisalo (not waiver eligible)
Grubauer
Raanta
Subban
Nilsson (UFA)
Hutchinson
Bachman (laugh but they need two goalies in the AHL and only really Korpisalo is waiver free)

I'm not sure how Lack gets taken.

Good points. Also Miller and Bishop UFAs and whatever choice PIT makes

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011

No idea how anyone can think moving Lack for a 3rd and a 7th is better than moving Miller after 1 year for whatever and using the cap space elsewhere

something something mentor probably

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad