Speculation: Bring Ference back to Calgary

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I want Scuderi, Murray, Fistric, Walker over him but if none of the above want to come here then I wouldn't be upset at bringing him back as long as it isn't more than 3 years (2 would be better).

TriPPinVdUb

Jun 17, 2012
Calgary Alberta
Love Ference, bring him back....

Exactly the kind of Vet we should target, plays with a chip on his shoulder, team guy, I wish he never left!

Last edited:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I want Scuderi, Murray, Fistric, Walker over him but if none of the above want to come here then I wouldn't be upset at bringing him back as long as it isn't more than 3 years (2 would be better).

Why the flying **** do you want Matt Walker?!?

Ference is better than all the guys you listed.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Want these types of guys, rather than guys like Tanguay or Sarich for the kids to learn from.

Gamers. You need'em; their play is infectious.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Why the flying **** do you want Matt Walker?!?

Ference is better than all the guys you listed.

:laugh: I ment Paul Ranger

I think all 4 have something to offer more than Ference.

Scuderi is the better of the 2 imo

Murray is a more physical defenseman and less prone to stupid penalties

Fistric is a more physical defenseman.

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
Murray showed me in the pits Boston series that he is slow AF. Do not want!!
I agree I would rather scuderi and fistric over ference but if we can't get either, I wouldn't complain with ference

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Scuderi is extremely one dimensional. Ference can get at least 20points.

Murray is one of the slowest players in the NHL.

Fistric isn't being re-signed by one of the teams with the worst defense in the league.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

Fistric isn't being re-signed by one of the teams with the worst defense in the league.

Yes, thank you. People are getting so caught up in size ant grit that they've seemed to have forgotten that hockey is played with sticks and on skates

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

I don't care about offense when we have Gio, Wideman, Brodie already on the team Scuderi's 1 dimension is the one we need most and imo is the best UFA defenseman.

Murray is a great pker which is why I want him our pk was pathetic, I think he would a much better pker than Ference.

Fistric is probably the worst defenseman of the group but I love the way he uses his body he would be a great player to have with Cundari they would be destructive together but if we plan on our FA defenseman being Brodie's partner I agree he is the worst choice.

Ference is a better fit the Fistric in the top 4 but I want Fistric on the 3rd pairing for his physicality. I think both Murray and Scuderi bring an element that Ference doesn't bring but again I wouldn't be sad to have Ference at all but I think you nuts if you think Ference is a better defenseman than Scuderi.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I don't know how many people agree with me here, but I truly don't want to even look at the available defencemen hitting free agency this year.
They'll all get overpaid, they're almost all old, most are slow...

I'd rather get us a D-man doing a true Hockey trade. Sorry Mr. Tanguay, but you feel... right to get moved for some help on the back end.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I don't know how many people agree with me here, but I truly don't want to even look at the available defencemen hitting free agency this year.
They'll all get overpaid, they're almost all old, most are slow...

I'd rather get us a D-man doing a true Hockey trade. Sorry Mr. Tanguay, but you feel... right to get moved for some help on the back end.

I would generally agree with this (although I think Scudari even at 4.5 - 5 million a year for 2 years would be the perfect partner for Brodie to help him find his offensive game)

I think either Tangs or Cammy get moved for defensive help (most likely Tangs and Cammy goes for picks and prospects)

Possible Targets:
Nashville : Kevin Klein - With Bartley proving to be NHL ready and Ellis taking another step they may be willing to risk some defense in search of offense they desperately need.

New Jersey : Andy Greene - While he was NJ's best defenseman last year they have Larrson ready to take a step as well as several prospects that could make the jump but we would most likely have to add.

New York Rangers : Michael Del Zotto - After the Nash trade the Rangers need some offensive depth and could really use another playmaker, Del Zotto seems to be the odd man out and is young enough to be here long term.

Phoenix : Zbynek Michalek - Yes I have probably beaten this one to death but it is no surprise that Phoenix needs offense (especially on LW) and Michalek is one of the easier ones to move (in terms of the hole he will leave on the team) and fits our needs like a glove.

St. Louis : Barret Jackman - With the addition of Jbo Jackman isn't as needed and the Blues wouldn't be hurt by gaining some offense.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

I prefer Fernence to all of them and I am not even a huge fan of his. What Ference does bring that some of those others might not offer is the off ice stuff, the magnetic personality and the leadership

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I prefer Fernence to all of them and I am not even a huge fan of his. What Ference does bring that some of those others might not offer is the off ice stuff, the magnetic personality and the leadership

Scuderi is a great leader (ask LA) and is a better defenseman, I would take Scuderi over Fernence 10/10 times.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Scuderi is a great leader (ask LA) and is a better defenseman, I would take Scuderi over Fernence 10/10 times.

Why would we not target both?! Our defense is worst In the league and butler is borderline useless. We need All the grit and defensive leadership we can get. Both would be great additions.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
To Phx:
Tanguay
Horak

To Cgy:
Michalek
Rundblad

:)

I don't think Pheonix bites. Add in our late first and Pheonix 2nd and I could see it. So:

To Phx:
Tanguay
Horak
28th overall pick

To Cgy:
Michalek
Rundblad
2nd round pick

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I don't think Pheonix bites. Add in our late first and Pheonix 2nd and I could see it. So:

To Phx:
Tanguay
Horak
28th overall pick

To Cgy:
Michalek
Rundblad
2nd round pick
Would still do it. Phoenix's 2nd is around 42 I think so I'm good with that.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Would still do it. Phoenix's 2nd is around 42 I think so I'm good with that.

I would do it as well. I just added in the exchange of picks to even out the value, because of Runblad. I would say Phoenix does it because Runblad isn't exactly pushing his way into their lineup.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I've always liked Ference and I still maintain that the decline in Calgary was largely due to us shipping out underrated defenders like him and Lydman. Those two along with Leopold could make up for a lack of footspeed in some of our other guys and allow them to punish people while having a safety net.

But to anyone who wants to give him 4-5 million, give your head a shake. He's a 2-3 million dollar player. No more overpays unless it's a 1 year deal we can ship out at the deadline. Ie. Jagr.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad