Speculation: Bring Ference back to Calgary

The Hendog

Apr 20, 2012
Calgary
http://www.csnne.com/blog/bruins-talk/free-agent-ference-wont-be-back-bruins

Per the article on Ference:

Before Game 6 against the Blackhawks, Julien was asked what Ference brings to the table for the Bruins.

“I think a lot of things," Julien said. "His heart and desire. On and off the ice he comes to play every game, whether he has a better game one night than another. He's always coming to play, and you know he's going to give you everything he's got. [It’s the] same thing in the dressing room, he cares about his teammates and does all the little things every year.

Sounds like someone who would be perfect around a young team, he reportedly liked his time here in Calgary and didn't want to leave, already has a cup and this would be closer to his home roots.

What would the Flames offer? And do you want him?

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Dan Brown @dbuniv
Here's hoping @Ferknuckle comes back home to Calgary this offseason! #hopeful

Yes, I tweeted him. You all should. :laugh:

I'd say 3 years, 9.75 mil? That sounds about right. I'd probably even go up to 3 years, 10 mil.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Two years, 8 million. Term is important, and I don't want to commit to him for anything more than two years. In two years he'll be more a 5/6 guy and guys like Sieloff/Wotherspoon/Ramage/Kulak should be fixtures on the bottom pair by then.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Two years, 8 million. Term is important, and I don't want to commit to him for anything more than two years. In two years he'll be more a 5/6 guy and guys like Sieloff/Wotherspoon/Ramage/Kulak should be fixtures on the bottom pair by then.
Hadn't thought about it like this. I'd go for that deal too.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011

Great post. Couldn't agree more
2yrs at 3.5 - 4 sounds right. Overpayment to avoid term.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Ference @ 4 million/year?

Yuck. Nice guy and all, but wow. That's borderline funny.

It's not like we're going to be spending the cap on anything else major. And Ference is still a number four guy and probably will be for the next couple of years.

I think Flames can afford to swallow 8 million to have a solid leader on the backend. He'll greatly help the likes of Cundari, Breen, and Wotherspoon.

What's really going to be funny is if we do nothing to address our defensive issues, end up dead last in GAA, and ruin what little chance Ramo or Berra have at being starting goalies in the NHL. It's about more than just Ference, it's also about the players around him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
My thoughts on Andrew Ference returning:

The Reasoning
I would welcome Ference back with open arms. When he left the Flames at the 2007 deadline I was fine with it, I liked him as a player but always saw him as no more than a good, reliable third pairing defenseman. But what I never considered was that he was probably the most popular guy in the dressing room, that he was a team builder and that he was a fantastic leader. Ference always puts the greater good ahead of himself and I never realized how valuable he was off the ice, I am guessing neither did Sutter or the Flames.

The Term
2 years. With a ton of defense prospects knocking on the door in the next few years, most of whom will be vying for 3rd pairing minutes it is important we have space for them when they are ready. I expect Breen & Cundari to be challenging for spots this year, Wotherspoon & Ramage could potentially be 1-2 years away and Seiloff potentially 2-3 years away.

In that time I would want Andy to take Giordano under his wing and show him what it takes to bring a team together. I would want to see Brodie and Butler's lockers on either side of Andy so they could absorb what Ference brings to the team.

The Dollars
Who cares?As long as the term is right, the dollars don't matter to me. But if it requires an overpayment so be it. But realistically Ference is a $2-3 million defenseman.

Another former Flame I want back for almost the exact same reasons is Eric Nystrom, but I would be willing to give him up to 4 years as I feel our forwards are further away.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Another former Flame I want back for almost the exact same reasons is Eric Nystrom, but I would be willing to give him up to 4 years as I feel our forwards are further away.[/B][/I]

Excellent thoughts on Ference and Nystrom.

Constructing the right atmosphere and culture for our players to grow and mature under is key. I'd love a veteran core of Ference, Nystrom, Gio, GlenX moving this rebuild forward and mentoring the young guys.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
It's not like we're going to be spending the cap on anything else major. And Ference is still a number four guy and probably will be for the next couple of years.

I think Flames can afford to swallow 8 million to have a solid leader on the backend. He'll greatly help the likes of Cundari, Breen, and Wotherspoon.

What's really going to be funny is if we do nothing to address our defensive issues, end up dead last in GAA, and ruin what little chance Ramo or Berra have at being starting goalies in the NHL. It's about more than just Ference, it's also about the players around him.

My objection to giving Ference $4 million / year is more philosophical than anything else.

Ference gets $4 million, someone else in arbitration / negotiation points to that contract and says "I want that much, or more" and so on.

These kinds of contracts will be why the NHL winds up crying during the next CBA negotiations that they are losing money, need more of the share of revenue, etc. etc. and we'll end up losing another season.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I'd be okay with this. But it shouldn't be for more than 3M a season. Ference even now, is still very much a #4 or #5 defensemen.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm fine with giving Ference 4. If you look at guys like Wideman, Jbo etc., its really not that bad at all.

I also really want Nystrom back. He's close to Prust, and Nystrom was always one of my favorite players in his time here. Him and Ference would be great additions IMO. And you know Weisbrod has seen Andrew up close, I'm sure he'll be a target.

I tweeted at him as well.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
My objection to giving Ference $4 million / year is more philosophical than anything else.

Ference gets $4 million, someone else in arbitration / negotiation points to that contract and says "I want that much, or more" and so on.

These kinds of contracts will be why the NHL winds up crying during the next CBA negotiations that they are losing money, need more of the share of revenue, etc. etc. and we'll end up losing another season.

Wouldn't RFAs going to arbitration be unable to use Ference as a comparable because he is a 34 y.o. UFA?

As for Free Agency, yes, but the precedent of ridiculous contracts has been set. 8 million for two years for a guy like Ference is pretty good when 35 year old Mark Streit is pulling in 5.25 million for the next four years.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I think term length will be the key where he signs. I highly doubt he signs for less then 3 years unless someone offers him a stupid amount short term.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Just offer him 2 years @4-5 million per. We need to spend the money if Cammy and Tanguay are traded. Then sign Nystrom 3 years @ 6 million (the smae type of contract that Torres got).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad