Speculation: Bring Ference back to Calgary

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I would generally agree with this (although I think Scudari even at 4.5 - 5 million a year for 2 years would be the perfect partner for Brodie to help him find his offensive game)

I think either Tangs or Cammy get moved for defensive help (most likely Tangs and Cammy goes for picks and prospects)

Possible Targets:
Nashville : Kevin Klein - With Bartley proving to be NHL ready and Ellis taking another step they may be willing to risk some defense in search of offense they desperately need.

New Jersey : Andy Greene - While he was NJ's best defenseman last year they have Larrson ready to take a step as well as several prospects that could make the jump but we would most likely have to add.

New York Rangers : Michael Del Zotto - After the Nash trade the Rangers need some offensive depth and could really use another playmaker, Del Zotto seems to be the odd man out and is young enough to be here long term.

Phoenix : Zbynek Michalek - Yes I have probably beaten this one to death but it is no surprise that Phoenix needs offense (especially on LW) and Michalek is one of the easier ones to move (in terms of the hole he will leave on the team) and fits our needs like a glove.

St. Louis : Barret Jackman - With the addition of Jbo Jackman isn't as needed and the Blues wouldn't be hurt by gaining some offense.

I like your Michalek idea a lot. I still think MDZ would require a fairly substantial offer when you look at what offensive type guys are getting in the open market. He'd cost a lot to acquire and a lot to sign. I think we have guys who can do what he does in Wideman, Giordano and Brodie. We need more of a shutdown guy like Michalek.

Greene would be completely off the table from a Devils perspective. Think of what we'd want for Giordano before this past year and that would be the asking price.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I've always liked Ference and I still maintain that the decline in Calgary was largely due to us shipping out underrated defenders like him and Lydman. Those two along with Leopold could make up for a lack of footspeed in some of our other guys and allow them to punish people while having a safety net.

But to anyone who wants to give him 4-5 million, give your head a shake. He's a 2-3 million dollar player. No more overpays unless it's a 1 year deal we can ship out at the deadline. Ie. Jagr.

Isn't that the idea? Not sure how overpaying short term is supposed to hurt us going forward. We aren't spending to the cap; it's not going to put us in a bind when trying to sign our future stars. Even if it's a two-year deal, that just means we trade him next year instead of this one.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Isn't that the idea? Not sure how overpaying short term is supposed to hurt us going forward. We aren't spending to the cap; it's not going to put us in a bind when trying to sign our future stars. Even if it's a two-year deal, that just means we trade him next year instead of this one.

I want one year overpays, not two-three year overpays. I like the Blues model. What they did with Tkachuk, Weight ect. gave them the organizational depth they have now. I don't think it's necessary to give Ference term AND dollars. We're not talking about a premium player with upside here. He'd be a #4 on our below average blueline.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
I want one year overpays, not two-three year overpays. I like the Blues model. What they did with Tkachuk, Weight ect. gave them the organizational depth they have now. I don't think it's necessary to give Ference term AND dollars. We're not talking about a premium player with upside here. He'd be a #4 on our below average blueline.

chances are they dont sign here on a 1 year deal.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
Scuderi is a great leader (ask LA) and is a better defenseman, I would take Scuderi over Fernence 10/10 times.

Wow. Somebody hacked into TheHudlinators' computer and posted something that I agree with.

I have never understood the love for Ferrence. I hate his politics. He played a huge part in the Don Fehr hiring which essentially caused the lockout. And on the ice he is nothing special. I would say solid but not spectacular.

As a guy who pays for Flames tickets I don't want the likes of Andrew Ferrence or any of his lefty union buddies dancing on my paycheque.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
chances are they dont sign here on a 1 year deal.

I'm ok with that. I'm looking at guys like Stalberg for longer term deals. Feaster prattled on about not signing post-apex players a fair bit this offseason. Hopefully he stands by that unless it's a one year pact. We heard quite a bit about intellectual honesty two years ago and when that plan wasn't followed we floundered for yet another year. The year after next is when I'd start looking at 2-3 year deals for older players again. Now is not the time. All Ference does is move us from 28th to 25th. That means we miss guys like Reinhart and Ekblad.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I'd take Ference back in a heartbeat. In fact, I'm off to Boston next month. Gonna pick up his jersey while I'm there. They'll probably be on sale just to clear out stock too.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Wow. Somebody hacked into TheHudlinators' computer and posted something that I agree with.

I have never understood the love for Ferrence. I hate his politics. He played a huge part in the Don Fehr hiring which essentially caused the lockout. And on the ice he is nothing special. I would say solid but not spectacular.

As a guy who pays for Flames tickets I don't want the likes of Andrew Ferrence or any of his lefty union buddies dancing on my paycheque.

:laugh: Thanks man

I don't mind Ference but Scuderi is the perfect fit here with our offensive defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad