Bring Back ties! Habs lose 3-2 SO

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Pietrangelo gets 30min, PK 20.
Hitchcock probably slipped a few bucks to Therrien after the game.

I just don't understand what is going on. This isn't making any sense.

Good coach:
Karlsson struggles to start season. Plays him continually high minutes to let him overcome the struggles. Currently playing better than he has in a long time. Progression.

Therrien:
Subban starts off season very good. Starts calling him out for every mistake, blame him for losses. As he gets worse and worse, he continues blaming him, playing him less and less. Currently playing as bad as he ever has in a long time. Got first -3 game since his rookie season back in 2010. Regression.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Correlation is not causation. Don't waste our time.
I'd say in this case its about as close to causation as you can get. Last night we lose a goal due to his fight. He's on the ice for the game tying goal. The other night he gets into a fight just as we're breaking out of the zone and is on the ice for something like three goals.

Somebody mentioned he's getting 18 mins a night? That can't be right can it?

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I don't get the obsession with playing PK 30 minutes a game. Pietrangelo is on a Cup contender and has to start contributing immediately. PK is on a playoff bubble team that is as far from a Cup as you can get. I don't see the point in overusing PK when the goal is to sneak into the playoffs.

No the goal is to win hockey games dude. They don't think that much in NHL.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Correlation is not causation. Don't waste our time.

Excluding the 1st game where he got injured, while averaging 4-5min/game:

- On the ice for 4/9 goals scored against
- Habs scored 6 goals and gave up 5 without him on the ice.
- Subban gets run by 2 players, including the goon that he's supposed to keep in check.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I'd say in this case its about as close to causation as you can get. Last night we lose a goal due to his fight. He's on the ice for the game tying goal. The other night he gets into a fight just as we're breaking out of the zone and is on the ice for something like three goals.

Somebody mentioned he's getting 18 mins a night? That can't be right can it?

You are correct. I should have said that correlation may not be causation.

gohabs58

Nov 29, 2011
Bournival was really good tonight. Creates a lot with his speed. I thought that line was the best. Eller is not the same as he was when the season started. I also thought Galchenyuk had a rough game. Parros is only good at fighting, not much else.

But I'd like to know why Markov, Diaz and Gorges were all used more than Subban. Markov I'm ok with, but the other two? Really????

I also agree with everyone else on here, Pac should not be in the shootout, EVER! Even Galchenyuk should work on a different deke. It's always the same; should drop, dekes left right left to his forehand. Hasn't worked since his rookie season.

I really looking forward to have Emelin back in the lineup, and Prust. That should make us a better team.

Lionel Mandrake

+ we just had the thoughest part of our schedule.

As for Galchenyuk looking lost, what do you guys expect? First game at center vs the most physical team in the league. Give him a few games and he will adjust.

Tend to agree with this. I would have been shocked to see Galchenyuk dominant in his new role against a team like the Blues. I think he'll look better within 5-10 games. Patience is key here IMO.

Domenic

Jan 13, 2007
Calgary, AB
How does this make any sense whatsoever?

So the guy who IS going to the playoffs for sure should get the hell played out of him and the guy who MIGHT go shouldn't? We should rest PK for what reason?

??????

Who's resting PK? He's averaging 24 minutes a game, 2nd most on the team. I'm not interested in seeing him overused, battered, and beaten an extra 6 minutes a game when we haven't entered a fight yet.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
The thing about Bournival that impressed me is he's got some good offensive awareness. Some of the passes he made to Plekanec (pre penalty shot) and Gionta (front of net) showed some of that potential. Since getting Bournival on their line, Gionta/Plekanec have almost been rejuvenated/sparked.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
The thing about Bournival that impressed me is he's got some good offensive awareness. Some of the passes he made to Plekanec (pre penalty shot) and Gionta (front of net) showed some of that potential. Since getting Bournival on their line, Gionta/Plekanec have almost been rejuvenated/sparked.

Bournival will be a great hab for many years to come. I wish Pacioretty played more like him.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Bournival will be a great hab for many years to come. I wish Pacioretty played more like him.

You mean the 24 year old Pacioretty who just came off an injury that caused him to miss 3 weeks, had team high 104 points in 123 games (68 points/80 games pace) going into this season, signed at significant discount long term at 4.5M? How about a few more games before we hope he changes. ;)

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
It's a coach with 'Little Man Syndrome' trying to let everyone know he's the boss, no matter who it hurts.

That is simplistic. There is no way such thinking occurs at this level. Especially with the huge amount of money involved. :shakehead

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
isn't Desharnais good in shootouts though?

Sorry now I understand...Your first post was a hinted idea. Take my advice, don't do that here, and especially don't do that in real life. State your idea clearly.

Might have been better to say: "DD is pretty damn good on SO, therefore we missed him tonight."

Provide the facts for your readers! Be clear. Don't assume others will always understand your idea...:)

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I shook my head when Therrien chose Plekanec for the penalty shot. He is awful at set breakaways. Gionta would have been a much better choice.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
When I saw Markov cutting to the net for the first Habs' goal, I told myself : "why isn't Pacioretty doing stuff like that?"

The only Habs winger doing it is Gallagher while it is exactly what you ask of wingers.

I can't understand why Pacioretty and Bourque don't do that, or at least try, on a regular basis. I'm sick of seeing Pacioretty entering the zone and staying near the board, then turning behind the net instead of turning to the net.

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
I shook my head when Therrien chose Plekanec for the penalty shot. He is awful at set breakaways. Gionta would have been a much better choice.

He didn't have a choice.
Last one to touch the puck for the Habs.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
You mean the 24 year old Pacioretty who just came off an injury that caused him to miss 3 weeks, had team high 104 points in 123 games (68 points/80 games pace) going into this season, signed at significant discount long term at 4.5M? How about a few more games before we hope he changes. ;)

I didn't mean to bash Pacioretty, or his achievements, I just like Bournivals compete level right now.

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
He said in his post-game conference that he had the choice between the 5 guys on the ice.

TSN stated that according to the rule book, in that situation.. the last one to have the puck for the Habs is the one who takes the penalty shot.

If M.T said he had a choice though, I'll take his word over TSN.

bipolarhabfan

Sep 16, 2006
Burnaby, BC
How are we decent offensively but we have no bloody snipers/shooters! This team can't score on odd man rushes! Breakaways or shoot outs!

There's no superstar or elite-level talent on the top-6. We have been waiting for a player or two that has that elite ability but have not had anyone of note since, I believe, Turgeon and Damphousse in the mid-nineties. I have said this before in other threads but it is worth repeating; the last player to score 40 for the Habs is Damphousse in 94 and the last player to score 50 was Richer in 89. Without these types of players, we will be stuck fighting for a playoff spot.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I don't get the obsession with playing PK 30 minutes a game. Pietrangelo is on a Cup contender and has to start contributing immediately. PK is on a playoff bubble team that is as far from a Cup as you can get. I don't see the point in overusing PK when the goal is to sneak into the playoffs.

First, there is no obsession. You just don't play Diaz Gorges and Markov more than you're Norris winner. It's really not that freaking hard to understand. And the less you play PK, the less chances you give your team to win.
I have no idea how your words seem logical to you.
Pietrangelo is the guy that will be going to the POs on a contender team, yet he's the one that should be overused to the point of being abused by the team he reaches the POs? Meanwhile the team that needs to rely on their best players more should play them less??? :huh: What is wrong with your brain?

Who's resting PK? He's averaging 24 minutes a game, 2nd most on the team. I'm not interested in seeing him overused, battered, and beaten an extra 6 minutes a game when we haven't entered a fight yet.

First off, he's young and fully conditioned. He could take on more minutes.
Second, you live and die with your best players.
Third, you play the guys that give you the best chance to win the most. PK is our only important trophy winner. Yesterday he played 20min.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Question: was PK hurting more than he let on after taking that shot to the arm? When he skated off I immediately had the dread thought that he'd broken his wrist or forearm. Fortunately not the case. Could that have impacted his icetime late in the game? Did he get it frozen and have it wear off perhaps?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad