Bring Back the Alfie Chant?

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
I think the only appropriate times to use this chant from now on is during the pre-game ceremony when Alfie's number gets retired, and any future home games where Alfie happens to be in the crowd and is put on the jumbotron.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
wow, I realize that make suggestion is slightly unorthodox, but given that Alfredsson has given us so much to cheer for over the years, giving his all even when it was clear that there was no coming back, I figured we'd do something in kind, at the same time showing that we are a class fanbase....

I am actually surprised at the lack of support across the board for a player who did so much. [mod]

http://hockeytraderumors.com/alfredsson-defers-200000-to-make-room-for-trade/

Last edited by a moderator:

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
wow, I realize that make suggestion is slightly unorthodox, but given that Alfredsson has given us so much to cheer for over the years, giving his all even when it was clear that there was no coming back, I figured we'd do something in kind, at the same time showing that we are a class fanbase....

I am actually surprised at the lack of support across the board for a player who did so much. [mod]

There's a lack of support because, regardless of whose fault it is, he left this franchise. It would be unprecedented and, tbh, silly to cheer for someone who left for greener pastures. Did Bruins fans chant for Bourque after he left? Do Habs fans still randomly start chanting "Richard! Richard!" during games? Do Leaf fans get Sundin chants going?

No. And those are players who did arguably more than Alfredsson did for their franchises and didn't leave in a matter that left some people salty.

It would make zero sense for us to chant it randomly during games. Time for us to make new heroes from the guys who are committed to this franchise.

Case in point, the "Bobby" and "Andy" chants.

Apaharn

Aug 12, 2008

Come on guy, Alfie did a lot of good things in the past, but let it go.

Your idea is no different than being the creepy, jilted ex-boyfriend who broke up, didn't take it too well, and is trying to win her back by writing love poems, stalking the girl, and being extra supplicative.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I recommend that we chant "Leschyshyn, Leschyshyn" at the seven minute mark of each period.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
The fact that we have people comparing Aflie to a Yashin, Saprykin or Daigle is telling, and further proves my point.

As to the poster with stalking experience, I'm not saying we go stand outside Aflies outside and play Peter Gabriel ala John Cusack. If you see no difference between that and a player who is about to retire under ****** circumstances as I stated in my OP, and your weak analogy than I'll move on.

I know Alfie is not gonna ever wear a Sens jersey on ice in the NHL, that was not the point, the point was to look after a guy who was the face of the franchise for 17 years but again, I digress...

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
We appreciate not winning a cup and leaving the team without even bothering to tell the fans why?

He did lots for Ottawa, but he is not deserving of a chant when he isn't on the team or even in the building.

Chant for a current Sens player.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
What about the other players?

Let's just start following the lead of the Bleacher Creatures in Yankee Stadium and start a roll-call of the players...

Lol Alfie has been more important to this team then anyone else to ever put on a Sens jersey. Idk if you just started watching hockey in the bast 3 years, but he wasn't always a 2nd line player.

dpw

Jul 29, 2004
The fact that we have people comparing Aflie to a Yashin, Saprykin or Daigle is telling, and further proves my point.

As to the poster with stalking experience, I'm not saying we go stand outside Aflies outside and play Peter Gabriel ala John Cusack. If you see no difference between that and a player who is about to retire under ****** circumstances as I stated in my OP, and your weak analogy than I'll move on.

I know Alfie is not gonna ever wear a Sens jersey on ice in the NHL, that was not the point, the point was to look after a guy who was the face of the franchise for 17 years but again, I digress...

I think he's well looked after in the Detroit organization.

Time to move on like he did.

Apaharn

Aug 12, 2008

That your opinion/idea is weak and people are taking the piss out of it?

I get it what Alfredsson meant to the city. The guy is not even retired yet. Yes, he did not leave under ideal circumstances, and the wound is still raw, but in time his number will be retired - or at very least, honoured. If Bure could mend fences with the Canucks, and Yogi Berra could mend fences with the Yankees, Alfredsson will mend fences with the organization in due time, with time being the key word here.

Lol Alfie has been more important to this team then anyone else to ever put on a Sens jersey. Idk if you just started watching hockey in the bast 3 years, but he wasn't always a 2nd line player.

Don't get your panties in a bunch. I am not making a negative comment on Alfredsson - not even sure how you got that idea from what I wrote.

My comment was referring to making chants to players in the current roster.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
That your opinion/idea is weak and people are taking the piss out of it?

no, that the Sens hfboard has the most self-hating Senator fans i've ever met...the fact that there is such vehement resistance against a simple gesture as the one I suggested is, imo , sad.

I respect that people have differing opinions, but I'm shocked at the extent that some people are so bitter towards Alfie without any of us knowing the true facts around his leaving.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Don't get your panties in a bunch. I am not making a negative comment on Alfredsson - not even sure how you got that idea from what I wrote.

My comment was referring to making chants to players in the current roster.

Sorry, meant to quote your post about Lalime.

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
no, that the Sens hfboard has the most self-hating Senator fans i've ever met...the fact that there is such vehement resistance against a simple gesture as the one I suggested is, imo , sad.

I respect that people have differing opinions, but I'm shocked at the extent that some people are so bitter towards Alfie without any of us knowing the true facts around his leaving.

I'd argue that chanting the name of a player who left by way of throwing his teammates under the bus (i.e. stating that Detroit had a better chance at a cup) and arguably his fans ("I'm not worried about my legacy") is a better example of the self-loathing Sens' fan.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

Simple gesture or not, it's a silly one. A proper gesture is to cheer like crazy every time he comes to Ottawa in any capacity or when one of his achievements are shown on the scoreboard. Arbitrarily cheering him on for no other reason other than is, minimally, odd and to the max, somewhat sad.

If everyone universally thinks your idea is bad, maybe just accept that you proposed a bad idea and not use it as an opportunity to label us as "self-hating".

Bad idea is bad.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa

Do you think he himself would appreciate this awkward chant? Especially with guaranteed boos and facepalms in the crowd?

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Simple gesture or not, it's a silly one. A proper gesture is to cheer like crazy every time he comes to Ottawa in any capacity or when one of his achievements are shown on the scoreboard. Arbitrarily cheering him on for no other reason other than is, minimally, odd and to the max, somewhat sad.

If everyone universally thinks your idea is bad, maybe just accept that you proposed a bad idea and not use it as an opportunity to label us as "self-hating".

Bad idea is bad.

so the 'majority' is always right?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Bad idea is bad.

I agree, very silly. We have plenty of active players to cheer on. Players that have made a commitment to this team, this city, this year and years to come.

great1

Nov 13, 2009
Fergus, Ontario
After Alfredsson's first game back in Ottawa he said "once the puck dropped the crowd also did the right thing for cheering on their team". He doesn't want this.

He will always be one of my favourite players but unless he is spectating a game and on the jumbotron, I don't think it is a good idea.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Remember the Penguins playoff series?

"Alfie will you guys be able to come back and win this series"

"Probably not"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad