Bring Back Ralph

ItsBennGreat

Get Jamie Benn a Stanley Cup '19 campaign
Jan 29, 2018
Raleigh. NC
I honestly didn't mind this past season's duo. The only comparison I can make is that they were better then the Pens old duo of Bob Errey and Paul Steigerwald. I was not a Stars fan when Ralph was calling games but judging by the reaction here and what I've read, he was very good.

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
Ralph and Razor were one of the best duos, if not the best in the NHL during their time. Ralph was a very solid play-by-play commentator, while Razor was a creative and well-informed colour analyst, they balanced each other out very well on the broadcast. Dave Strader and Razor were also very good but it still wasn't the same. Razor doing play by play causes his creativeness to be extremely overplayed and it limits his actual informative insight into the game. Ludwig is very old school, and was not a well-spoken colour. Ludwig seemed to also state the obvious and never added anything actually interesting. I'm not surprised Luds stepped down or got removed, but Razor should definitely move back to colour because his broadcast strengths definitely correspond with that position.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I think Ludwig was only ever a stopgap who had a bit of TV experience. He was okay but definitely not someone I enjoyed listening to.

Personally I prefered Strader + Razor to Ralph & Razor. I think DS was objectively a better PBP commentator, but I do agree that R&R had better on-air chemistry. They also had two decades of work together, though, which I'm sure was a big part of it.

We've been incredibly spoiled for a long time, and that makes it harder to judge them fairly and be content with a more average pair. I do like Razor on PBP a lot, but I think it's difficult to find a color guy that works well with him due to how much he can just dominate the discussion. I do prefer him at color. It might take several tries to find the right person, and hopefully Razor isn't scared off by that time.

ItsBennGreat

Get Jamie Benn a Stanley Cup '19 campaign
Jan 29, 2018
Raleigh. NC
Thanks for the replies, very educational on the history of this position for the team. I appreciate it!
I didn't mind Ludwig but he didn't bring anything exceptional to the broadcasts.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Thanks for the replies, very educational on the history of this position for the team. I appreciate it!
I didn't mind Ludwig but he didn't bring anything exceptional to the broadcasts.

I thought Ludwig got better as the season went along but yeah like you said, it's not a great loss or anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad