Proposal: Bring back Coach Q

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
Lol. Half of what is being written is probably not true because there’s zero way you guys know all the details of this, but we got 2 posters acting like they were in the locker room. Good stuff.
Ya, this sounds like a lot of conjecture. Not to mention I’d take Weight’s playoff performances as a Blue any day over Tkachuks

Reactions: TheDizee

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I'd take Weight's playoffs as well, and Weight could be a really great person. He could also be a tremendously huge dick. By the end, no one in the organization was sad to see him go.

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
I thought the playoff loss thing included him screaming at them before Game 5 saying "you guys are going to lose this series, and when we do it's all on you - I'm not going down for it." Keep in mind, we were up 3-1 and had won both games at home without MacInnis, and Q is yelling at them about how they were going to lose the series. And then after each of the losses in Games 5 and 6 he'd berate them and remind them "I told you guys, you're going to lose the series" and after Game 7 he rips them all one final time.

The locker room thing in 2003-04: I always heard it was simmering from the 2003 playoffs and who'd done what (or not done what) to help the team win. [Weight had a monster 5-8-13 series, Pronger was 1-3-4 but scoreless in the final 3 games.] At some point - the early December near-loss to Detroit? - Weight and Pronger really get into it again, and at some point Q tells everyone ""I'm not fixing anything, this is all your fault" and brings up the 2003 playoffs again, berates everyone with 'pathetic' and 'losers' and other such words, concludes with "so you all figure out who you're supporting, this is all on you guys - I'm done with this shit" and goes back to his office. From there until he got fired, most of his time around the team he spent in his office, only associating with the players when he had to.

I don't care if he won 3 Cups with Chicago. I wouldn't care if he'd won a dozen there. I've got zero use for him here.
To me, ancient history (based on heresay and revisionism) is just as relevant as three Cups -- so it washes. In fact, I'd put more weight on the wins that personality conflicts with frustrated players.

Also, I'd really like to hear a lawyer-free interview with Q about this assault situation. It very well could be he's not taking responsibility because, well, maybe it wasn't his responsibility. Just a thought.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Also, I'd really like to hear a lawyer-free interview with Q about this assault situation. It very well could be he's not taking responsibility because, well, maybe it wasn't his responsibility. Just a thought.
He was the head coach and opted to sweep credible accusations under the rug because he thought it’d be a distraction during the playoffs. As one of the ~3 most powerful people in an organization he absolutely had a responsibility to act on it when he learned of it, as Bowman et. all did. He made his choice and now can live with the consequences.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
He was the head coach and opted to sweep credible accusations under the rug because he thought it’d be a distraction during the playoffs. As one of the ~3 most powerful people in an organization he absolutely had a responsibility to act on it when he learned of it, as Bowman et. all did. He made his choice and now can live with the consequences.
And then wrote a letter of recommendation for that same person who did those things.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
And then wrote a letter of recommendation for that same person who did those things.
Did he? That’s the talking point I’ve heard for years but in his interview with Strick, Q said he simply filled out the annual evaluation which he was required to do for all of the coaches, evaluating their performance from a hockey perspective.

I mean, I guess is there was a character or leadership section to the evaluation he could’ve said something there but if all he did was submit an annual review and then Aldrich used that as some sort of reference for him doing a good job, that’s not the same as Q consciously providing a letter of recommendation. And if Q is to be believed that he had no idea the issue was sexual assault until the plane ride to see Bettman on the day he was forced to resign, then how would he know back in 2010?

That said, I honestly don’t know the answer. The Strick interview was clearly a puff piece but I also don’t think Q is some sort of monster. But my sense is he did purposely wash his hands of it/ignore it so it wasn’t a distraction during the Cup Finals.

I personally wouldn’t hire the guy. Simply not worth the potential backlash or other negative consequences. But what concerns me is why Strick is the one being used to get this out there. Why not some journalist affiliated with the Hawks or Panthers? It concerns me that it’s possibly because the Blues wanted to test the temperature of how people would react to it because they want to seriously consider hiring him.

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
...he did purposely wash his hands of it/ignore it so it wasn’t a distraction during the Cup Finals.

Whis is exactly what he should have done.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I have a copy of the report: it states

After leaving his employment with the Blackhawks, Aldrich went on to work
and volunteer at USA Hockey, the University of Notre Dame, Miami University
of Ohio, and Houghton High School. None of the witnesses we interviewed
recalled anyone at the Blackhawks providing a written or verbal reference for
Aldrich to his future employers. When interviewed, Aldrich stated that he did
not list any Blackhawks employees as references on job applications, nor did
he ask anyone from the Blackhawks to vouch for him or make any calls on his
behalf. USA Hockey reported to us that they identified no records reflecting
a reference provided for Aldrich by the Blackhawks. We gathered records
from Miami University regarding Aldrich’s employment and found no
evidence of references, whether written or oral, provided by the Blackhawks.
Miami University published an investigative report on September 24, 2021,
which stated that Aldrich did not provide references on his resume when he
applied to Miami, that the then-head coach of Miami University’s hockey team
received Aldrich’s name from the coach’s collegiate hockey connections, and
that the head coach and others spoke to the University of Notre Dame about
Aldrich and received favorable information. The Miami investigative report
does not describe any references provided by the Blackhawks. The
University of Notre Dame declined to share information or records with us,
other than to confirm Aldrich’s dates of employment at the university.

Houghton High School reported to us that they identified no records reflecting
a reference provided for Aldrich by the Blackhawks. The head hockey coach
at Houghton High School told us that Aldrich did not formally apply for
volunteer hockey coaching positions in 2010 and 2012. The head coach
explained that Aldrich’s uncle, who was the assistant coach in 2010, had told
the head coach that Aldrich was not working and asked if the team could help
Aldrich. In 2012, the team re-hired Aldrich as a volunteer based on his work
as a volunteer in 2010. The head coach said that he did not contact the
Blackhawks about Aldrich at any time.

So if Q or anyone else wrote a letter of recommendation for Aldrich, the investigation by Jenner & Block didn't uncover it.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
And if Q is to be believed that he had no idea the issue was sexual assault until the plane ride to see Bettman on the day he was forced to resign, then how would he know back in 2010?

That said, I honestly don’t know the answer. The Strick interview was clearly a puff piece but I also don’t think Q is some sort of monster. But my sense is he did purposely wash his hands of it/ignore it so it wasn’t a distraction during the Cup Finals.
While the report shows that everyone in the May 23 meeting has different recollections, at least Jim Gary, Stan Bowman and Al MacIsaac recalled talk of an incident of some sexual nature, and Jay Blunk and Kevin Cheveldayoff recalled an incident where someting inappropriate (but not necessarily sexual in nature) was mentioned. Further, in the June 14 interview with HR [after the Blackhawks had won the Cup], John McDonough mentioned an incident that may have included inappropriate sexual advances. Even Quenneville's interview showed he recalled discussion of something and maybe it involved a coach and inappropriate behavior, but by and large he "recalled nothing else regarding the meeting or the events more broadly."

It's possible Quenneville really doesn't recall anything. It's also possible that like John McDonough, he "doesn't remember" key pieces of the meeting and discussions thereafter because it's so damning - like how the director of HR has notes on a meeting with McDonough on June 14 regarding Aldrich, but McDonough doesn't recall ever talking to HR about Aldrich, and that the May 23 meeting was the one and only time he was in a discussion about the alleged incident.

Regardless of what he thought it was or wasn't, the evidence shows Quenneville was made aware of something having happened that was inappropriate, and he still chose to keep Aldrich - the individual everyone recalls being identified as the perpetrator - around to help achieve the end goal.

The real piece of shit was, and always will be, John McDonough, who should have his name scratched off the Cup as well for covering everything up and - depending on whether you believe him or not - never went to HR to report what had happened, or only did so after the Blackhawks had won the Cup and Aldrich made a sexual advance on an HR intern for the team in the interim.

Reactions: Blueston

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
While the report shows that everyone in the May 23 meeting has different recollections, at least Jim Gary, Stan Bowman and Al MacIsaac recalled talk of an incident of some sexual nature, and Jay Blunk and Kevin Cheveldayoff recalled an incident where someting inappropriate (but not necessarily sexual in nature) was mentioned. Further, in the June 14 interview with HR [after the Blackhawks had won the Cup], John McDonough mentioned an incident that may have included inappropriate sexual advances. Even Quenneville's interview showed he recalled discussion of something and maybe it involved a coach and inappropriate behavior, but by and large he "recalled nothing else regarding the meeting or the events more broadly."

It's possible Quenneville really doesn't recall anything. It's also possible that like John McDonough, he "doesn't remember" key pieces of the meeting and discussions thereafter because it's so damning - like how the director of HR has notes on a meeting with McDonough on June 14 regarding Aldrich, but McDonough doesn't recall ever talking to HR about Aldrich, and that the May 23 meeting was the one and only time he was in a discussion about the alleged incident.

Regardless of what he thought it was or wasn't, the evidence shows Quenneville was made aware of something having happened that was inappropriate, and he still chose to keep Aldrich - the individual everyone recalls being identified as the perpetrator - around to help achieve the end goal.

The real piece of shit was, and always will be, John McDonough, who should have his name scratched off the Cup as well for covering everything up and - depending on whether you believe him or not - never went to HR to report what had happened, or only did so after the Blackhawks had won the Cup and Aldrich made a sexual advance on an HR intern for the team in the interim.
Don’t think I’ve ever heard about this 2nd Aldrich incident involving an HR intern. Do you have more on that?

I agree it’s very likely what you say is correct - that Q knew or at least knew something and ignored it to avoid a distraction. Regarding that one specific meeting though, it’s more than possible Q wasn’t there for the whole thing. So maybe the incident was more explicitly discussed and someone asked, “what’s Q know about this? Go ask him to get up here.” So Joel joins the meeting, is asked some questions but doesn’t get the full story. He then leaves and doesn’t do much with it. He still should’ve taken more initiative to find out more and not just live in the world of ignorance is bliss.

I honestly don’t know what all Q knew and when he knew it. But I could see where he possibly didn’t know a lot and didn’t ask questions even though he should’ve.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Don’t think I’ve ever heard about this 2nd Aldrich incident involving an HR intern. Do you have more on that?

I agree it’s very likely what you say is correct - that Q knew or at least knew something and ignored it to avoid a distraction. Regarding that one specific meeting though, it’s more than possible Q wasn’t there for the whole thing. So maybe the incident was more explicitly discussed and someone asked, “what’s Q know about this? Go ask him to get up here.” So Joel joins the meeting, is asked some questions but doesn’t get the full story. He then leaves and doesn’t do much with it. He still should’ve taken more initiative to find out more and not just live in the world of ignorance is bliss.

I honestly don’t know what all Q knew and when he knew it. But I could see where he possibly didn’t know a lot and didn’t ask questions even though he should’ve.
that is the thing. there was a meeting of the higher-ups that q attended bc they had a report of something inappropriate alleged by a player against aldrich. his apparent only concern was that it not distract from the playoffs and mcdonough agreed to stall until after Finals. i can believe he didn't know all the particulars, but that is largely because he didn't WANT to know them. he wanted to win hockey games and didn't care about the carnage. rather than worry about the well being of beach, who wasn't going to help him win Cup that year, he was more concerned with not disrupting the team in the playoffs. to let aldrich keep working through the playoffs.

i don't think q should ever coach again. i don't think he should be banned, as the time he has been out is effectively a long suspension, but i don't think he is worthy of coaching again. and i would have a real problem with whatever club hired him. i don't even want to contemplate him coaching for us again.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Mentioned in the report, which ... GDI, I'm on the wrong computer so I don't have it in front of me so I can't C/P from it.

The few pieces I immediately recall: late night June 10 / early morning June 11, Aldrich was out with a few of the front office folks celebrating the Cup win and he groped a 22-year old HR intern who immediately objected ... and then didn't report it to Blackhawks HR, but did apparently mention it to friends. And I don't think it was known when Aldrich was given the "resign or be fired" ultimatum on the 16th by HR, but it was mentioned that in that meeting Aldrich wanted a "day with the Cup" and the HR manager said OK and so he got that like September 4 or something.

I can C/P out of the report tomorrow if you want specifics.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
that is the thing. there was a meeting of the higher-ups that q attended bc they had a report of something inappropriate alleged by a player against aldrich. his apparent only concern was that it not distract from the playoffs and mcdonough agreed to stall until after Finals. i can believe he didn't know all the particulars, but that is largely because he didn't WANT to know them. he wanted to win hockey games and didn't care about the carnage. rather than worry about the well being of beach, who wasn't going to help him win Cup that year, he was more concerned with not disrupting the team in the playoffs. to let aldrich keep working through the playoffs.

i don't think q should ever coach again. i don't think he should be banned, as the time he has been out is effectively a long suspension, but i don't think he is worthy of coaching again. and i would have a real problem with whatever club hired him. i don't even want to contemplate him coaching for us again.
I agree with you.

Just trying to stay honest with what’s fact, what’s conjecture and what’s opinion.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Mentioned in the report, which ... GDI, I'm on the wrong computer so I don't have it in front of me so I can't C/P from it.

The few pieces I immediately recall: late night June 10 / early morning June 11, Aldrich was out with a few of the front office folks celebrating the Cup win and he groped a 22-year old HR intern who immediately objected ... and then didn't report it to Blackhawks HR, but did apparently mention it to friends. And I don't think it was known when Aldrich was given the "resign or be fired" ultimatum on the 16th by HR, but it was mentioned that in that meeting Aldrich wanted a "day with the Cup" and the HR manager said OK and so he got that like September 4 or something.

I can C/P out of the report tomorrow if you want specifics.
Wow. This guy’s an insane creep.

And John McDonough appears to be amoral scum too. Others messed up to but he was the one leading the charge of sweeping it under the rug from what I’m reading.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West

I agree with every word you typed save one: I think he should be banned. He put winning above everything and that lack of integrity should never be in anything, let alone a coach. He didn't care who or what got hurt as long as they won. The irony is they won but everyone will remember this because of it. Absolute karma.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I agree with every word you typed save one: I think he should be banned. He put winning above everything and that lack of integrity should never be in anything, let alone a coach. He didn't care who or what got hurt as long as they won. The irony is they won but everyone will remember this because of it. Absolute karma.
There is no karma there. The guy is a multi millionaire with multiple Cups to his name. Karma gave more than it took.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I would love If Tortorella would come Blues coach. He would grow some balls to our players.

Or Hitch why not.

f3jeSQn.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Ted Hoffman

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
I would love If Tortorella would come Blues coach. He would grow some balls to our players.

Or Hitch why not.

f3jeSQn.jpeg
Torts is the last guy I want right now. We need to get out of the middle and he's a specialist at coaching teams to finishing around the playoff bubble. I also don't like how much the guy loves performing for the media. I don't think he'd tolerate a player who does half as many dramatic press conferences as he does

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
No love for Brian Sutter?
He'll be 68 before next season starts.
If Berube couldn't connect with the players, Brian wouldn't stand any chance of it.

Personally, unless Brind'Amour really leaves Carolina, I'm fine sticking with Bannister.
Just change up the rest of the staff(let Ott take over Springfield and get somebody in here who can figure out a PP).

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
To be clear: after Hitchcock and Jacques Demers (was that supposed to be Jacques Martin?), I figured I'd lob a former coach that gives warm fuzzies because he's a former player, he really loved the Blues but should be a clear non-starter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad