Confirmed with Link: Brind'Amour a Jack Adams Finalist

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Brind'Amour Named Jack Adams Award Finalist

cut.png

The National Hockey League today announced that Carolina Hurricanes Head Coach Rod Brind'Amour has been selected as one of the three finalists for the 2020-21 Jack Adams Award as the NHL's coach of the year. The other finalists for the Jack Adams Award are Minnesota Wild Head Coach Dean Evason and Florida Panthers Head Coach Joel Quenneville. The winner will be announced during the Stanley Cup Semifinals or Stanley Cup Final, with date and time to be determined.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
All three are very good candidates. I think Q has the inside track, though, as the voters may want to make up for all the great years he had in Chicago without recognition. And of the three coaches' teams, ours finished closer to where expected compared to the other two candidates.

Reactions: DaveG and Tryamw

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
All three are very good candidates. I think Q has the inside track, though, as the voters may want to make up for all the great years he had in Chicago without recognition. And of the three coaches' teams, ours finished closer to where expected compared to the other two candidates.
There are political reasons in play on why Brindy won't be elected to the HHoF anytime soon. Would not be shocked if those same political reasons keep him from winning the Jack Adams this year

Reactions: DaveG

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Well deserved nomination, all 3 really are deserving candidates who helped their teams exceed initial expectations (most thought MIN was basically a tank season)

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
There are political reasons in play on why Brindy won't be elected to the HHoF anytime soon. Would not be shocked if those same political reasons keep him from winning the Jack Adams this year
The HOF is voted on by such a small number of folks that I'd imagine it's much easier to keep someone out if wanted than the broadcasters voting on this award. Also, it's not like he's a slam dunk as the best coach this year. As mentioned, all these guys did great.

Reactions: DaveG

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
Rod deserves to win the Jack Adams this year based on the final crop listed here. If I was being honest with myself, though, Barry Trotz deserves to win the award every single year until eternity if the award was truly about giving it to the best coach in the league.

Agree with this. Rod deserves it for Reg season but I'm not sure Trotz isn't the better coach. Either way we are lucky to have him.

Reactions: MinJaBen

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Agree with this. Rod deserves it for Reg season but I'm not sure Trotz isn't the better coach. Either way we are lucky to have him.

I agree on both counts, though I personally would pay Connor McDavid-level money to have Trotz coaching our team if Dundon green-lighted it. There's no one in the NHL even close to Trotz's record of blatant overachieving, and it's been that way for 20 years, including with those small-market early expansion rosters with Nashville.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Rod deserves to win the Jack Adams this year based on the final crop listed here. If I was being honest with myself, though, Barry Trotz deserves to win the award every single year until eternity if the award was truly about giving it to the best coach in the league.

Agreed.

I know the Norris is the most "lifetime achievement-y" of the major awards, but if there were ever an award where you'd actually want that, it'd be the Jack Adams. Similar to the "GM of the Year", Coach of the Year makes it too likely to award someone who was only tangentially related to his team's success, or just a beneficiary of a flash in the pan season.

Do we actually think Dean Evason "contributed the most to his team's success" this year out of all the coaches? Or did the Wild just have a great year?

Going off of the strict definition above, I think you're right. Trotz is probably the winner every year that the Islanders stay relevant with a roster like they have. I would also call Brind'Amour a top tier coach by this definition.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad