Brian MacLellan's tenure as GM of the Washington Capitals (UPD: rumor agreed to multi-year extens)

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I do have to give GMGM credit for essentially providing a GMing layup for his successor. He left the team with tons of talent, a stocked pipeline and overall good chemistry.

He was just so piss poor at finishing the job roster wise, he always seemed OK with at least one glaring hole whether it was top 4, 2C or G. And don't even get me started on the coaching hires...

Talk about a dream job coming in here an inheriting the "mess" GMGM left behind...

Even still GMBM is winning hearts and minds because it doesn't appear he's squandering the golden opportunity he's been afforded.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
So far, GMBM has really impressed me. The last two summers he signed players I didn't think we would ever get and the Oshie trade is a big win. He's rapidly easing the pain endured through the GMGM years for me. He showing he is more action than talk.

Even more is his talk results in action. He says something and goes out and does it.

Also seems that him and Trotz are on the same page. GMGM never seemed to be on the same page as most of his coaches truth be told.

When Trotz says we are looking for one more piece, a 3C, I totally believe we will be getting one here soon.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
This is the kind of move GMGM would never pull off. The days of the old boys' club are over. GMBM is a ruthless businessman, and he's serious about making the team a feared contender.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I just kept refreshing Twitter to see what the retention was on Laich. When it came up no retention from Freidman I literally said out loud "GMBM you are a genius"!

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
damien-darhk-1449728270.gif

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Nope, he didn't like the team. Sending out a 10 year well liked vet at the dead is far from Laiching. Last pun. Adding 2 vets is something - lets see how they do and revisit this thread. Liking the team is really closer to no moves, and unwilling to disrupt chemistry.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Wasn't this trade deadline the epitome of a "we like our team" TDL? They swapped 4th liners and added an 8th defenseman.
This team actually gives a reason to like it (when the boys aren't trying to sleepwalk over an NHL team), and GMBM fixed the biggest flaw on the roster.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Nope, he didn't like the team. Sending out a 10 year well liked vet at the dead is far from Laiching. Last pun. Adding 2 vets is something - lets see how they do and revisit this thread. Liking the team is really closer to no moves, and unwilling to disrupt chemistry.

Not to mention the addition of Richards before the TDL. Plus, with the way Orpik has played, the need to shore up the D kind of melted away.

But most of all, I think GMBM knew what he was getting: bottom 6/pair depth and cap space. Unlike McPhee he's not thinking that Winnik will magically slot into a gaping top-6 hole or Webber will suddenly be good enough as a 2D.

Last edited:

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Wasn't this trade deadline the epitome of a "we like our team" TDL? They swapped 4th liners and added an 8th defenseman.

I'd say yes and no.

Yes because well, look at the standings. Do you normally fix things that aren't broken?

No because, we still upgraded on the 4th line where there was a weakness (laich). Also added depth in case of injury on D.

A lot of our moves were made well in advance before the TDL when things get too expensive, we will all appreciate having a competitive team every year because we didn't blow all prospects and picks on an unknown difference maker.

With Mcphee... the difference was we had glaring holes every single year and he would intentionally dumpster dive. That was the most frustrating part.

Jun 15, 2007
I don't see the Laich trade as something Mcphee was too soft to do. He traded Captain Clark after all who was in a pretty similar situation as Laich. In my opinion, people are seeing what they want to see.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
I don't see the Laich trade as something Mcphee was too soft to do. He traded Captain Clark after all who was in a pretty similar situation as Laich. In my opinion, people are seeing what they want to see.

well McPhee wasn't too soft to do anything, he just wouldn't make a real trade when he needed to.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

McPhee would never have done the work prior to the TDL that would make such moves and statements reasonable and acceptable. The problem people had with GMGM was he would treat a CLEARLY deficient roster as though it was as solid as the one we have now. But you knew that.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
What I liked with BMAC this TDL, there appeared to be no panic or desperation moves, which we have seen in the past.

Yesterday was the lowest number of trades at the TDL since 2002. Cap/NMC contributing to some of the theories on this.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
McPhee would never have done the work prior to the TDL that would make such moves and statements reasonable and acceptable. The problem people had with GMGM was he would treat a CLEARLY deficient roster as though it was as solid as the one we have now. But you knew that.

Also, everyone who moved or was even rumored to move was pretty meh. Ladd would have been nice but we couldn't get rid of Laich in time. Hamhuis is a solid dman, but do we need a LD with limited offense who doesn't want to play anywhere but Vancouver?

Also lol at swapping 4th liners. Laich is barely an NHL player. They got rid of a 4th liner with 7 points of total offense who can barely skate for a pretty fleet 4th liner with 14 points a year removed from a very good season. And put me in the boat that considers Babcock to be a horrible coach. I'm expecting a return to form.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad