Brian MacLellan's tenure as GM of the Washington Capitals (UPD: rumor agreed to multi-year extens)

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
GMBM living up to his name so far.

English not your first language? Click here

Edit... Niskanen???

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I'm not convinced that it's a disaster. Orpik is a clear upgrade at his position (though at a premium) and Niskanen came in less than I expected. It gives the Caps three solid pairs and even if they move "someone" there's only one rookie. This is by far the best D they've iced since the Langway era. If Trotz can get the forwards going, the Caps are a dangerous team.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Things said by Nashville hockey fans for $100, Alex.

A mobile, possession-oriented defense and star forwards just yearning to be unleashed? This is even more of a Laviolette team than before free agency.

Nashville never had forwards like the Caps. Those cost money.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Ovechkin? No. They did have Paul Kariya and Peter Forsberg, though.

And there's way more depth even now. I'll give Trotz a chance. I'd like to see what he and Korn can do on the back end, especially with Reirden looking like he can help the offensive game from D.

There's enough experience and resume here to give them at least one game before running them out of town. Mercilessly.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
And there's way more depth even now. I'll give Trotz a chance. I'd like to see what he and Korn can do on the back end, especially with Reirden looking like he can help the offensive game from D.

There's enough experience and resume here to give them at least one game before running them out of town. Mercilessly.

I'm not advocating for running them out of town, and I too want to see what Trotz can do.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
One thing I will say about Brian MacLellan is that he doesn't seem to be scared to go for what he wants. It looks as though he targeted three guys this offseason and got all three. Something GMGM would not have done.

Debate the merits of the signings all you want, but he got who he wanted with no excuses.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Anyone have the relevant info on the other signings such as Latta for the table in the OP? Fairly certain that Latta wasn't the only other signing right?

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Fire GMBM...he's a trainwreck!

I just want to put that down so if/when things go south, I can say that it should have happened ages ago...:)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ward was on the 4th line for the road trip. Has he ever skated regularly on a top 2 line? Fehr is a utility forward but he was a 1st round pick that scored 50 goals in junior and was always projected at a top 6

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Ward was on the 4th line for the road trip. Has he ever skated regularly on a top 2 line? Fehr is a utility forward but he was a 1st round pick that scored 50 goals in junior and was always projected at a top 6

...Are we still pretending that Fehr is going to end up as good top-6 forward? Yeah he was 1st round pick that was great in juniors but that was over 10 years ago.

He had a solid last season, but if you are thinking that he'll suddenly is able to be good top-6 forward that gets ~40 points each season then i'd say you are heading for a disappointment.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
GMGM left this team in a poor state. I mean, in what world are Fehr & Ward top 6 guys.

Really?

I thought quite the opposite. We have a pretty solid core in 8/19/52/74/27 and a ton of 1st and 2nd year players who look quite good in Burakovsky, Kuz, Schmidt, Wilson, Latta etc

Ward did score 25 goals last year as did Brouwer. I'd consider that strong top 6 RW production.

But I get it..we lose a game and don't look good....commence meltdown and blamegame.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
If this team starts regressing into bad habits, habits BMac should be well aware of and instantly recognize, I think it may serve the organizational well to make a statement, and trade someone, on a discount if trades are hard to come by.

Sure we have to deprogram players - deoatsitize them first, but it shouldn't take long.

Trotz gets his honeymoon and chance to fix our bad habits proper first, however. BMac may be able to make his life a little easier, however.

Or a lot easier.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
which caps player is important enough to have an effect if shipped out and which you would be willing to giveaway to make your point?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Yeah I'm not very fond of just making a trade for the sake of sending a message. There are other ways that can be accomplished.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
A team left in bad shape is a team with a failing core and an empty pipeline.
The Caps core is full and so is the pipeline. All the rest are piece complimentary pieces that GM's deal with on a year by year basis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad