Brian Leetch vs Scott Niedermayer

Kaapo Kakko

Dec 23, 2017
Lol.

Scott skates circles around Brian. Niedermayer had such incredible lateral movement, could dodge hits with skill and speed unlike anyone I've ever seen from the blueline.

Next time you want to make an argument against Leetch I'd advise not bringing up "lateral movement" considering Leetch was one of the most fluid and agile skaters to ever lace them up. Neidermayer was a good skater but he was no Brian Leetch.

Last edited:

vikash1987

Mar 7, 2004
New York
Niedermayer had the more accomplished career, but Leetch has a much higher peak. His play in the 1994 playoffs is far better than anything Niedermayer ever reached. The problem for Leetch is that his play tailed off in his later career.

My thoughts exactly.

Bottom line: any GM would’ve salivated over the chance to pick either one of these guys. Stats and awards aside: they were transformational players for their franchises.

It seems as if Leetch averaged slightly higher minutes than Niedermayer (upper 20s vs. mid 20s) but the NHL stats only go back to ‘98-99. Does anyone know if this was true throughout the ‘90s?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Garbage stat:

Behind the Numbers: Why Plus/Minus is the worst statistic in hockey and should be abolished

Paul Coffey finished his career plus 298 and it is universally agreed on that his defensive skills were hot garbage. Plus/Minus is the absolute worst way imaginable to determine how good a player is defensively. A trash stat that should be abolished.

Has anyone serious ever suggested that +/- was about how good a player is defensively ? anyone ever mentionned Greztky +100 season or Guy Lafleur +89 has argument for them being the best defensive forward ever ?

Reactions: NyRangersFanatic

Kaapo Kakko

Dec 23, 2017
Has anyone serious ever suggested that +/- was about how good a player is defensively ? anyone ever mentionned Greztky +100 season or Guy Lafleur +89 has argument for them being the best defensive forward ever ?

I agree. It's a useless stat when determining how good a player is defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad