Brian Leetch: very underrated on hfboards?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Arguably the greatest American born defenseman of all time. Don’t think he’s underrated

I've got him #2 ahead of Phil Housley and behind Chris Chelios on the 'best American defenseman' list.

If you ignore Brett Hull, which I often do, Chelios is the best American player ever (so far)

Bryce Newman

Jan 4, 2021
I've got him #2 ahead of Phil Housley and behind Chris Chelios on the 'best American defenseman' list.

If you ignore Brett Hull, which I often do, Chelios is the best American player ever (so far)

Chelios for longevity. Leetch was better at his peak though, and by a comfortable margin. Plus how well would Chelios's game fair in today's NHL? Leetch, much like Gretzky, would thrive in any era.

Bryce Newman

Jan 4, 2021
Interesting thread on the main board: NHL.com Best Dmen of the Expansion Era

One guy saying Park was way better than Leetch (lol), and another trying to say Leetch's GA (goals against) on the bad Ranger teams from 98-04 is a big knock against him. (He's a Lidstrom lover lol)

I mean, who's GA wouldn't be bad on those putrid teams? What a stupid argument, especially considering Leetch lead the league in points for Defensemen in 2001. But according to this guy, Leetch "struggled" in the dead puck era. LOL

Scott r

Feb 10, 2021
I never liked him. I thought he was very very overrated. Phil Esposito and Cashman on the Sims talk show..blk guy..said he's another bobby orr. Huh..?? Orr big n strong...leetch weak...defensively wasn't good. Zubov was better then him

Scott r

Feb 10, 2021
It would be hard to pack more "wrong" into a post.
Why...im not the only one who says it. I call it like it is...defenseman are graded by offensive numbers....we don't look at defensive qualities and no statistic indicates that...nobody cares about plus minus. In my view he was not great..just bc 7 root for them doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Scott r

Feb 10, 2021
I prefer many defenseman over leetch...but this is like talking to a wall..the fans see everything great with him. Last post im making b4 the trolling babies come around

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
If i’m starting a team and I can have any 6 players in history on D, i’m going with the following

Orr.
Harvey.
Robinson.
Leetch.
Lidstrom.
Stevens.

Don’t give a $hit about what anyone else thinks. Leetch was a god damn legend.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Why...im not the only one who says it. I call it like it is...defenseman are graded by offensive numbers....we don't look at defensive qualities and no statistic indicates that...nobody cares about plus minus. In my view he was not great..just bc 7 root for them doesn't mean I'm wrong.
At his peak, Leetch played against the team's top players. He was not a flashy defensive player in that he didn't have the big hits. But he could certainly hold his own against bigger players by using his lower body to win positional battles in front and along the wall.

You choose not to see it. Is this enough attention for you?

Bryce Newman

Jan 4, 2021
I never liked him. I thought he was very very overrated. Phil Esposito and Cashman on the Sims talk show..blk guy..said he's another bobby orr. Huh..?? Orr big n strong...leetch weak...defensively wasn't good. Zubov was better then him

I can't even get mad this because it's so absurd. Instead I'll just laugh and assume you're trolling.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Leetch at his peak did things that very, very few guys could do.

His peak was better than Chelios, that isn't even up for debate when you look at their overlap.

But their journey's are complete opposites.

Whereas Leetch got hurt and played on some awful Rangers teams in his 30s, Chelios landed on a dynasty and stayed healthy. That prolonged his career well beyond what anyone would've expected in 1995 when you watched him.

It's hard because Detroit took what were already several HOF careers and gave them steroids --- not unlike what Edmonton did on the front end of players' careers in the 1980s.

You put Leetch on Colorado or Detroit in the late 90s and early 2000s and you quite possibly have a lot more points and several more awards and rings.

Reactions: Shadowtron

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
He’s one of those players that will always simultaneously be both over and underrated depending on the type of fan you are. He was and amazing offensive defensemen with average defensive play. Because he excelled so much with the puck on his stick, a lot of people tend to fixate on the small blips he occasionally encountered on the other end of the ice and over emphasize them as the norm. I was very young when he played, so I might be off base but my memory places him in the Karlsson(prime, not now) realm of player.which isn’t an insult by any means.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Arguably retired a long time ago

Wtf is going on with his and Mess's helmets in this alumni game
136296441.0.jpg

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
If i’m starting a team and I can have any 6 players in history on D, i’m going with the following

Orr.
Harvey.
Robinson.
Leetch.
Lidstrom.
Stevens.

Don’t give a $hit about what anyone else thinks. Leetch was a god damn legend.
I did not see Harvey play. I caught the last part of Bobby Orrs career but at hockey camp we watched films of Bobby Orr daily during lunch. From the guys I have seen I would go:
1. Orr
2. Borque
3. Potvin
4. Robinson
5. Lidstrom
6. Coffey
7. Leetch
8. Pronger
9. Chara
10. Stevens

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
He’s one of those players that will always simultaneously be both over and underrated depending on the type of fan you are. He was and amazing offensive defensemen with average defensive play. Because he excelled so much with the puck on his stick, a lot of people tend to fixate on the small blips he occasionally encountered on the other end of the ice and over emphasize them as the norm. I was very young when he played, so I might be off base but my memory places him in the Karlsson(prime, not now) realm of player.which isn’t an insult by any means.
I always say people underrate Leetch defensively. Leetch played every penalty kill and every last minute situation. Coaches are not dumb. They would not put a guy that was not good defensively out the most of any other player in those situations.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
At his peak, Leetch played against the team's top players. He was not a flashy defensive player in that he didn't have the big hits. But he could certainly hold his own against bigger players by using his lower body to win positional battles in front and along the wall.

You choose not to see it. Is this enough attention for you?
Even there you may be underrating Leetch. Leetch used to throw some very nice hits. Both open ice and hip checks on the boards. He was not a Stevens or Pronger hitter but if you had your head down Leetch would wake you up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad