Brian Lee turns pro, signs with Ottawa

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Just out of curiosity, but maybe some North Dakota fans can help. Who would you prefer Lee or Chorney?

Believe in Blue

Jul 4, 2007
The Sens defensive corps should look like this:

Redden - Meszaros
Phillips - Volchenkov
Schubert - Corvo

There's no place for Brian Lee, unless he has an incredible training camp... which is unlikely to happen.

Brian Lee should play for the Binghampton Senators as their top defencemen next season and will play 25 minutes per night so he can develop. I can see Brian Lee with the Big team in the 2008-2009 season, maybe 2009-2010.

Will they move Schubert back to defense? I thought this guy was a pretty decent power forward.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Sorry! This thread isn't a comparison between Lee and Chorney. Go run a poll.

i just wanted some info on them being teammates/linemates? I had heard that Chorney really benfited from Lee

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Will they move Schubert back to defense? I thought this guy was a pretty decent power forward.

Schubert is a natural defenseman. He is very solid as a checking forward but his skills, size would be better utilised as a potential top 4 d man than a 4th liner. Plus thats where he wants to play.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
The one benefit of having Lee in Bingo is he is waiver exempt for a few years, so assuming he makes a decent transition to pro, he can fill in with spot duty when there are injuries, without worry about waivers.

And Schubert is definitely part of the top 6 next year, although he could always fill in up front in an emergency. Remember, Chris Phillips did the same thing in his first few years in the NHL, when the Sens were short-handed up front.

X-SHARKIE

I havent heard much about Lee since he was drafted. How has he progressed so far?

He was better as a freshman than a sophomore IMO. Yeah, as a freshman he was a little green in his own zone, but he displayed some special qualities moving and skating the puck.

His sophomore season he was more refined in his own end, but he lost some of that spark that made him so intriguing.

I think he needed another year of the College game.

Before the draft I wasn't that high on Chourney, but looking at the two last year, I thought Taylor was the better player.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Lee and Chourney happens all the time with people on the same team or on teams that play each other. Lee was drafted higher and has more skill. But Chourney is getting more out of his abilities. Heard the same thing after Healtys second year. He was allready pegged as drafted too high because of his sophmore year he looked awful compared to his freshman campaign. Vanek and Parise. Kessel and Toews. I am sure many more i just am most familar with the WCHA. The high profile scorer is almost in a no win situation off of the bat. If he falters even the slightest in points his stock falls. I do not think anyone in history has changed their play away from the puck dramitcally enough in one year for anyone to see they are expanding their skill set. While the guy that was picked lower all he has to is imprive just a bit and he quickly surpasses the higher player. I think taking into account only last year though. Chourney was the better player. More to the point were Chourney is looking like a steal not that Lee is looking like a bust, though.

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
Lee and Chourney happens all the time with people on the same team or on teams that play each other. Lee was drafted higher and has more skill. But Chourney is getting more out of his abilities. Heard the same thing after Healtys second year. He was allready pegged as drafted too high because of his sophmore year he looked awful compared to his freshman campaign. Vanek and Parise. Kessel and Toews. I am sure many more i just am most familar with the WCHA. The high profile scorer is almost in a no win situation off of the bat. If he falters even the slightest in points his stock falls. I do not think anyone in history has changed their play away from the puck dramitcally enough in one year for anyone to see they are expanding their skill set. While the guy that was picked lower all he has to is imprive just a bit and he quickly surpasses the higher player. I think taking into account only last year though. Chourney was the better player. More to the point were Chourney is looking like a steal not that Lee is looking like a bust, though.

Good points.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba

I just don't think Lee has the hockey sense to really excell. Being a NoDak fan, there's no doubt in my mind that Chorney was better in college and I think he's more likely to be a better pro, but by the same token, Lee's physical ceiling is much higher.

Transported Upstater

I thought he definitely needed another year in college. He's pretty raw in my opinion.

But he's going into a good situation in Ottawa. I think he'll spend basically all of this year in Binghamton, and then will contend for a spot in the Top 6 in 2008-09.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad