Brian Lee turns pro, signs with Ottawa

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
this was unexpected. i thought he was going to stay in college for at least one more year.

rodmunch

Mar 8, 2007
I havent heard much about Lee since he was drafted. How has he progressed so far?

Erika

Jan 9, 2007
Gatineau
The Sens defensive corps should look like this:

Redden - Meszaros
Phillips - Volchenkov
Schubert - Corvo

There's no place for Brian Lee, unless he has an incredible training camp... which is unlikely to happen.

Brian Lee should play for the Binghampton Senators as their top defencemen next season and will play 25 minutes per night so he can develop. I can see Brian Lee with the Big team in the 2008-2009 season, maybe 2009-2010.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
The Sens defensive corps should look like this:

Redden - Meszaros
Phillips - Volchenkov
Schubert - Corvo

There's no place for Brian Lee, unless he has an incredible training camp... which is unlikely to happen.

Brian Lee should play for the Binghampton Senators as their top defencemen next season and will play 25 minutes per night so he can develop. I can see Brian Lee with the Big team in the 2008-2009 season, maybe 2009-2010.

if lee has a good camp (dont have to be spectacular) i can see ottawa giving him a spot and move schubert to play on one of the wings in a defensive role.

Erika

Jan 9, 2007
Gatineau
if lee has a good camp (dont have to be spectacular) i can see ottawa giving him a spot and move schubert to play on one of the wings in a defensive role.

Nahhh, I don't think he is ready anyways. Lee need at least 1 year in the AHL to develop into a more complete player and to Mature his game. He is a bit raw right now and there's no point in rushing the kid. Schubert is very good Defensively, very solid and is ready for a complete time job on defence, I have no doubt about that.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Nahhh, I don't think he is ready anyways. Lee need at least 1 year in the AHL to develop into a more complete player and to Mature his game. He is a bit raw right now and there's no point in rushing the kid. Schubert is very good Defensively, very solid and is ready for a complete time job on defence, I have no doubt about that.

you are probably right, but i wouldnt be surprised if it happened. but like you, i also think he needs at least a year in the AHL.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
you are probably right, but i wouldnt be surprised if it happened. but like you, i also think he needs at least a year in the AHL.

Who knows...people said that about Meszaros too. Even though this year wasn't exactly great for him, his rookie season was outstanding. Our club seems to be pretty good at teaching the defensive side of things.

Lee doesn't need to be rushed at all though. We have Kudelka who is probably just as capable as he is to grab the 6th spot if Schubert isn't already getting it.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

I can't see that but I can see him getting into 20-30 games because he will almost certainly be the first call-up if there are injuries and Lee has a good camp and is playing well in the AHL.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
A lot can happen before the season starts. The Sens are looking to shed salary, and Corvo could be a guy whose moved because of it, opening up another spot on the blueline perhaps.

I think he'll play a little in Ottawa this year, but a year in Binghamton would not hurt him at all.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Who knows if Lee will be ready or not. He did not have the greatest year last year with NoDak. It just seems that he did not get any better. On the flip side. You never know what he was learning or trying to do. You look at some offensive guys that take a step back or do not improve on the score sheet and they had a bad year. When guys that were drafted as projects start to score they jump up the list.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Who knows if Lee will be ready or not. He did not have the greatest year last year with NoDak. It just seems that he did not get any better. On the flip side. You never know what he was learning or trying to do. You look at some offensive guys that take a step back or do not improve on the score sheet and they had a bad year. When guys that were drafted as projects start to score they jump up the list.

I'll take a differant tack with Lee. I think his point production was a disappointment, but IMO his defensive play overall was good. He has excellent physical tools (size, skating, passing) and reads the play well, so I don't think his transition to the pros will be as difficult as some think.

Bring Back Krajicek*

Just curious, does he still look like a nine year old boy.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I'll take a differant tack with Lee. I think his point production was a disappointment, but IMO his defensive play overall was good. He has excellent physical tools (size, skating, passing) and reads the play well, so I don't think his transition to the pros will be as difficult as some think.

Nope, Lee took a step back defensively as well......he just wasn't as poised as he was freshman year.

Lee has all the tools but he's just so darn passive. If he can learn to start playing with some 'authority' he could be a good one.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Lee is a 1st rounder if he was a 5 rounder there wouldn't be much talk about him IMO. I mean, there's no prove that he is even capable to play on 1st pairing in AHL, he hasn't done much since the draft.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
A lot can happen before the season starts. The Sens are looking to shed salary, and Corvo could be a guy whose moved because of it, opening up another spot on the blueline perhaps.

The SUN is looking to shed salary so that we can blow it on someone else who is at best equally effective as the dumped player. Ottawa has no pressing need to dump salary, and I suspect that the ONLY salary that we would consider dumping is Gerber.

ThatOneGuy*

He looks like Pavel Brendl's four year old brother...

904_1.jpg

brendl438.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad