Brian Burke online reaction to NHLPA's proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
DementedReality said:
and this stupid signing affected exactly what in the NHL ? i have not seen one NHL team affected by this signing, other than NYR of course.

it has had zero affect, and its one case. why care ?

nobody uses Holik as a comparable in negotiations. secondly, even if holik didnt get this contract, the league average salary would hardly be affected, really 9m on 1.5b is nothing.

so holiks contract means nothing.

dr

Woooshhhh that went right over your head.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
PecaFan said:
Ah, but that's the thing. You're speculating as well. You're arguing his absence didn't affect them, but there's no way of knowing that.

well i dont think its neccesary to shut down hockey since we still wont ever be able to predict the future.

dr

myrocketsgotcracked

DementedReality said:
ok, so, speaking for myself, will admit that agents use leverage. why dont the owners ? seems they are able to when they need to (last season and now with the CBA).

as a fan, i would have supported VAN telling Bertuzzi AND Naslund to play for 4m or not play at all, if i was given the choice (over the lockout.)

DR

im not sure how many other canuck fans would support that, at least i know i wont. given naslunds uncertain future in north america, canucks dont have many yrs to compete for the cup. if bertuzzi holds out we can kiss our chances good bye. naslund will say that the owner will not spend to win the cup, and leave after his contract is over, and us canuck fans will have to wait many more years to even challenge it again.
also, when jagr, yashin, fedorov, guerin, etc earns $9M+, can you tell naslund and bertuzzi to take $4M per or go home?

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
SuperKarateMonkey said:
im not sure how many other canuck fans would support that, at least i know i wont. given naslunds uncertain future in north america, canucks dont have many yrs to compete for the cup. if bertuzzi holds out we can kiss our chances good bye. naslund will say that the owner will not spend to win the cup, and leave after his contract is over, and us canuck fans will have to wait many more years to even challenge it again.
also, when jagr, yashin, fedorov, guerin, etc earns $9M+, can you tell naslund and bertuzzi to take $4M per or go home?

cant they take that 12-14m they currently have and use it find replacements ? did we not effectivly replace Pavel Bure, Trevor Linden, Jeff Brown and Alex Moginly ? did ANA not replace Kariya in the same manner this off season ?

finally, you can tell who ever you want to take it or leave it. arent the owners doing just that right now ? why cant they have that resolve at contract time and just tell the fans the fact is they dont want to pay Bertuzzi more than 4m.

how contradictory to think the fans wont support it, considering the rhetoric on the talk shows and chat boards.

dr

Scheme

Feb 14, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
thinkwild said:
He did make this offer back in September. It is precisely the same framework. Except, even though the owners did no negotiating, they put their best offer on the table. If the owners think they can say, nice start, they are in a dreamworld.

Back when he made the same offer and said lets negotiate the numbers, Bettman said they werent speaking the same language. The same language is there.
No, back when Goodenow made that laughable offer - which was worse than his previous offer (talk about negotiating in bad faith!), he kept his head in the sand and completely refused to address the issue of the league's health. Now with this crazy paycut/bribe, everyone can see the emperor has no clothes and that Goodenow is essentially admitting that there are problems. Come on, the players are willing to bribe 24% of their salary just to keep this unhealthy system. Goodenow knew where the league stood back in September, but came out with an outrageous offer then - an insult even. My problem as a fan is this - why waste the owners and our time by proposing 5% when you were willing to go to 24%?
thinkwild said:
Now how do you propose a $30mil hard cap with a 5% pay boost? Make the top 50 players play in Europe?
Like another poster pointed out, it can be grandfathered in. Plus the players won't have to take a 24% paycut but instead get a raise. That's a significant concession by the league, don't you think? The players would be "nuts not to take it". :lol It just shows that it's not about the salary, it's about the system.
thinkwild said:
A bribe to keep the current system going? Well duh!
Well, thank you for finally admitting it. :lol

Potatoe1

Oct 5, 2004
DementedReality said:
cant they take that 12-14m they currently have and use it find replacements ? did we not effectivly replace Pavel Bure, Trevor Linden, Jeff Brown and Alex Moginly ? did ANA not replace Kariya in the same manner this off season ?

finally, you can tell who ever you want to take it or leave it. arent the owners doing just that right now ? why cant they have that resolve at contract time and just tell the fans the fact is they dont want to pay Bertuzzi more than 4m.

how contradictory to think the fans wont support it, considering the rhetoric on the talk shows and chat boards.

dr

This is utter nonsense.

Canuck fans would stage a revolt if the canucks refused to pay Bertuzzi and Nasland more than 4 mill.

You know this, what on earth is your point here?

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
BlackRedGold said:
Common sense? At least the "small minority" can get its facts straight.

There are an awful lot of owner apologists who seem to think that Holik can be used in arbitration and that every player gets a mandatory 110% qualifying offer.

How come the "small minority" doesn't seem to be as ignorant about simple CBA facts as the majority?

Funny you should mention ignorance after yourself and couple of the most diehard PA-yahoos here have been shown to be completely wrong about the basic facts several times.

I'm willing to go against you head-to-head in any CBA argument any time and I have absolutely no doubt about which one emerges as the more knowledgeable.

The more I read your, Demented Realitys, SacredSensFans and Thinkwild's posts here the more I think that the most hardcore pro-PA crowd is nothing but snotty teenagers thinking they know it all. As a long-time hockey fan with special interest in pro sports economics & master's degree in international business & marketing, I can tell that in most cases you're so out of touch with reality that it's not even funny.

myrocketsgotcracked

DementedReality said:
dr

are you seriously suggesting the canucks take that money (IMO, a tiny amount compare to what other teams have) and goto the UFA market and try to outbid the big market teams for a couple star players (naslund and bertuzzi calibre)?
the way anaheim replace kariya is not the way canucks replace bure, linden, brown and mogilny.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
DementedReality said:
no it didnt

Yes it did.

anyhow, you said Holik was a perfect example of what is wrong and i challenged it.

dr

How? You raised a completely seperate argument about the effects of UFA salary. That isn't what I was talking about (but of course you supposedly knew that. :lol ).

Brent Burns Beard