Brian Burke online reaction to NHLPA's proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
vanlady said:
That's funny because he is the father of all the leagues problems. Who negotiated the last CBA. That's right none other than Brian Burke. Let's face it, Burke wants to be a GM again so bad he can taste it. Half of Vancouver knows that and the other half isn't paying attention. Brian Burke is NOT going to say anything that will jeopardize his chances of being a GM again.
The father of all the leagues problems. That is a heavy ring to wear.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Fish on The Sand said:
I always respected Burke, and all I can say is wow. I wish he was in charge. Does anybody know if he wants to pursue the nhl front office again?

While he is a clever guy and he has been consistent in his actions in the past I think his biggest problem is his personality. He is pretty confrontational at times. When working in the front office you have to be diplomatic to agents/players/media.

I think he is good as a columnist/commentator though. He has clear thinking and would not have to avoid being confrontational. He also has a good knowledge for the sport and without a doubt a love for the game.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
vanlady said:
I heard that phoney line of BS in 94 too. Amazing how the league is not only still around but bigger than before. Funny people fail to mention the the revenues of the league have quadrupled since then but player salaries have only tripled. It amazes me how many people know 0 about the 94 lockout and are swallowing the NHL party line hook line and sinker, when they fed us the same line of BS back then.
The league only survived through expansion fees, that cant go on forever, can it?
vanlady said:
Funny people fail to mention the the revenues of the league have quadrupled since then but player salaries have only tripled.
The NHL has added 4 teams, that might have something to do with the added revenue. Everyone knows average player salaries have outgrown average revenue but you twist words around to make it look like owners are getting more money and the players less by using average salaries and total revenue.

Last edited:

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Newsguyone said:
If it was soooooooooo terrible, then why did Bettman and Daly not say as much?

Get real. There is enough here to work with. All you have to do is look at Bettman and Daly's reaction.
They haven't been afraid to simply rip up past NHLPA negotiations within minutes.

So why did they act like there was something to work with this time?

Because there is.

Boy you're naive...Bettman and Daly can't rip up the proposal because they are currently negotiating and all public tantrums would make those negotiations much harder. So they can't do anything but to smile and say they will make an counterproposal.

The proposal IS a *step* in to the right direction but it really doesn't address the real problem which is the increasing salaries, a 20% tax is nothing but a poor joke. Do you seriously think that Ilitch or Dolan are going to worry about paying $6M for a $5M player??

Get real yourself.

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
I in the Eye said:
First pitch by Goodenow - very small luxury tax %, very high rollback %... Next pitch by Bettman - very high luxury tax %, very low rollback %...

If Bettman and co. come back on Tuesday with any sort of proposal that includes a luxury tax instead of a hard cap, there is no doubt in my mind that there will be hockey this year. You would immediately get the negotiation process rolling and it would really just be an issue as to exactly where the final tax numbers end up. But I just don't see that happening; Bettman won't cave on the hard cap issue this quickly. Bettman did allude to the salary cap during the Q&A portion of his news conference, although he prefers to use the less objectionable phrases. My money is on the NHL coming back with another hard cap proposal, which will most likely lead to a stalemate. Ultimately the most logical conclusion to this mess is a very high luxury tax, but to get something on the scale that the owners will be looking for, I think they'll end up using the hard cap proposals as leverage for quite a while longer.

A Good Flying Bird*

incawg said:
If Bettman and co. come back on Tuesday with any sort of proposal that includes a luxury tax instead of a hard cap, there is no doubt in my mind that there will be hockey this year. You would immediately get the negotiation process rolling and it would really just be an issue as to exactly where the final tax numbers end up. But I just don't see that happening; Bettman won't cave on the hard cap issue this quickly. Bettman did allude to the salary cap during the Q&A portion of his news conference, although he prefers to use the less objectionable phrases. My money is on the NHL coming back with another hard cap proposal, which will most likely lead to a stalemate. Ultimately the most logical conclusion to this mess is a very high luxury tax, but to get something on the scale that the owners will be looking for, I think they'll end up using the hard cap proposals as leverage for quite a while longer.

Exactly.
If Bettman crosses that line from hard cap to luxury tax, then the two sides can at least negotiate numbers ... which, wherever they end up, shouldn't be impossible.

If that happens, credit Goodenow for making an offer that got things moving.

But I don't think he'll cross that line yet.
My concern is this: If he doesn't cross it now, he may never do so.
That 24 percent offer was designed to shake things up. I'm not sure it's done that.

If Bettman comes back with the same old song, I think the players may just say "screw it" and walk away from the table.
Talk to Nik Lidstrom, who just offered $2.4 Million of next year's salary back to his boss.
Or how about some guy making $600,000.
That sounds like a ton to you and me, I suppose.
But I'm sure he's not thrilled about giving up $150,000.

Goodenow's offer was brilliant.
It put pressure on the league. It won some much needed PR. And if it is outright rejected, the players are going to be angry with the league, and have even more resolve, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

handtrick

Sep 18, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
incawg said:

I in the Eye said:
If it doesn't appeal to either the players or the league, then IMO, this is the middle ground... This is the fair deal...

If a stiff luxury tax isn't the solution, IMO, there will be no hockey this year - nor for the foreseeable future... However, IMO, the solution will likely be the luxury tax... The cues that I get from Bettman and Goodenow talking to the media, to me, it's almost like they are setting it up so that the luxury tax is the exit strategy for both of them...

For example, from what I remember (and I admit that video games in my youth made my attention span quite low) there was no mention from Bettman and Goodenow of the word 'salary cap' during their newsconferences - maybe I'm being immune to the word, or I subconsciously ignored it, hearing what I wanted to hear - but I did not hear the word spoken from their mouths - and I was trying to pay close attention to the words they chose to use... If this is true, then IMO, Bettman and Goodenow perhaps came to a cooperation during the meeting not to use that dirty word... If true, this is a positive... and this could be a sign that both sides are willing to give and take on the 'luxury tax' parameters - using the salary rollback % and the luxury tax % as the main bargaining chips...

First pitch by Goodenow - very small luxury tax %, very high rollback %... Next pitch by Bettman - very high luxury tax %, very low rollback %...

Final deal (I'm hoping and predicting), somewhere in the middle... Good enough that either side doesn't end up smiling and giving old white men high fives and thumbs up, and good enough that pro-owner and pro-player supporters are left underwhelmed... Much like watching a boring hockey game ending in a 1-1 tie...

One of you two guys is right......I think with my mind it will be incawg, but hope in my heart it will be I in the Eye.......

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
incawg said:

IMO, a luxury tax of say 100:1 over 40 million does the same thing as a hard cap ;) As of this point, IMO, coming back with a 'hard cap' framework (when a high enough $ amount of a luxury tax can do the same thing) makes a 'hard cap' proposal now unproductive...

By going the 'luxury tax' route, IMO, it will appear that Bettman and the owners made a huge concession by agreeing to negotiate a luxury tax (i.e. by using the same framework that the NHLPA has proposed be used)... Just like it appears that Goodenow made a huge concession with the 24% rollback... It's all smoke and mirrors (since the size of the luxury tax could be so absurd that it acts like a hard cap), and it puts the ball back in Goodenow's court...

IMO, for this CBA, the luxury tax is the way to go... I'd be disappointed if the NHL went for a home run with a hard cap... IMO, it's not necessary...

For this CBA, the luxury tax is the solution, IMO... The NHL now has a defendable case that the 'free market' system doesn't work - thus, why the NHLPA is willing to negotiate a luxury tax system (whereas the NHLPA wasn't willing to negotiate this in the past)... Come next CBA, the NHL may have a defendable case that the 'luxury tax' system doesn't work - thus, IMO, the NHLPA would be much more willing to negotiate a cap system once history shows the results of the luxury tax system...

I'm hoping that the luxury tax system will right the ship, but if it doesn't, then the NHL is in a much better position to get a strict cap implemented come the next CBA...

IMO, league economics should be dealt with over time... not with a definitive blow... No one knows the ramifications of doing too much, too fast... Things can quickly spiral out of control... Slow, steady, controlled, logical steps will minimize negative impact, IMO...

And IMO, with a luxury tax framework on the table, it is not necessary for the league to go for the jugular (to do whatever it takes to get a hard cap implemented - kill the season, kill the NHLPA if necessary)... If the league wants to 'kill' the NHLPA if it gets in the way of a hard cap, give the NHLPA a rope to hang themselves with (agree to a variation of the luxury tax framework they proposed... prove that it doesn't work with real results)... It's cleaner, and you might get away with murder... The only problem is, it takes longer...

If I was a hard cap supporter (which I'm not), to try and get a hard cap right now, IMO, is not the optimal strategy... not if the goal is to win the war (not just a battle)... When you are going into court to try and break a union, you've got to make sure that you have exhausted all other alternatives first to have a fighting chance... It's not an easy thing to do, and it can backfire...

You can definitely be right, incawg... The NHL may be still going for the hard cap for quite a while longer... It wouldn't be too surprising to me if the NHL came back with a hard cap counter offer (only so that it appears that they are ultimately making a huge sacrifice to negotiate a strict luxury tax during the final hour to save the season)... Pretty dramatic, I know... :innocent:

Who knows how this plays out, but ultimately, trying to get a hard cap implemented in this CBA doesn't make much sense to me (especially when considering - if I remember correctly - that only one of the league's proposals to the NHLPA contained a hard cap, so they were willing to explore other avenues than a hard cap)... But I could definitely be wrong...

A Good Flying Bird*

Pepper said:
Boy you're naive...Bettman and Daly can't rip up the proposal because they are currently negotiating and all public tantrums would make those negotiations much harder. So they can't do anything but to smile and say they will make an counterproposal.

The proposal IS a *step* in to the right direction but it really doesn't address the real problem which is the increasing salaries, a 20% tax is nothing but a poor joke. Do you seriously think that Ilitch or Dolan are going to worry about paying $6M for a $5M player??

Get real yourself.

So there is something to work with?
That's my point.
The first offer was essentially torn up in public.
This one is not.

There is something to work with.

Scheme

Feb 14, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Newsguyone said:
If that happens, credit Goodenow for making an offer that got things moving.
I won't give Goodenow credit for anything. He could have made this proposal back when he made that joke of an offer - or anytime between then and now. We would be way farther along in negotiations (and closer to a season) if the NHLPA had not rocked its heels while members were stealing jobs from European players.
Newsguyone said:
Goodenow's offer was brilliant.
It put pressure on the league. It won some much needed PR. And if it is outright rejected, the players are going to be angry with the league, and have even more resolve, IMO.
And that's exactly what this offer is, a PR move - nothing more. A bribe to keep the current system going. If Bettman proposes a $30-$40 million hard cap with a 5% salary boost, it will prove to the public that for the players, it's not about the salary but all about the system. The players will fold like a cheap tent.

Brent Burns Beard