Brian Burke ON CKNW at 10:10 PT 1:10 AM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Vast Ant Dioi said:
The a-bomb clause? Who let this guy on the air? He doesn't even make any sense. What a nutcase.

Heh..
this is the reason i hate listening to sports radio.

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
So, what is riling me here, is that only 14 guys would be affected by this cap. So, what is the beef, then? They can't get by on 6 million, as Burke said, for the year?

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Lady Rhian said:
So, what is riling me here, is that only 14 guys would be affected by this cap. So, what is the beef, then? They can't get by on 6 million, as Burke said, for the year?
you are confused ... only 14 players make more than 6m. but as far as anyone knows that has nothing to do with an offer from the NHL.

dr

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Thinks the owners must come of the hardcap.

Thinks the players must agree to take a more reasonable percentage.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
- burke admits the NHL is asking for more than they need.
- a sense from (some) owners of vengance that they want to get the money they have spent back
- owners must come off hard cap
- players must agree to a reasonable share of revenue
- if players wont take reasonable share, the work stoppage means the players feel they deserve an unreasonable share
- players are the product, no question
- both sides have as much to lose
- some players will never get back the money
dr

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Who needs the other more: players or owners?

Thinks its fairly even.

Thinks both sides are doing their best to lose.

NJD Jester

Nov 14, 2003
DC
www.njdevilsbook.com
Here's the problem with Burke's arguments:

The owners, in reality, don't have to do dick.

They can sit back, cancel the season, declare an impasse and then remake the league in whatever manner they wish with replacement players.

The players? They can skate around Latvia earning peanuts and sleeping in roach motels.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
NJD Jester said:
They can sit back, cancel the season, declare an impasse and then remake the league in whatever manner they wish with replacement players.
how will they fill rosters with NHL calibre players, consider labour law wont allow immigrant replacment workers during a strike ?

dr

Vast Ant Dioi

Jun 16, 2003
Xunantunich
thenewnhl.blogspot.com
NJD Jester said:
Here's the problem with Burke's arguments:

The owners, in reality, don't have to do dick.

The players? They can skate around Latvia earning peanuts and sleeping in roach motels.

Yeah, but you know what? It's seeming more and more that leverage is the only thing the owners really give a damn about, as opposed to getting a system that works and playing hockey. They seem content with their unassailable position.

Well guys, it's great that you CAN cancel the season and blow the league up. But why? Is that really better? Burke seems convinced you can get a system that works for both sides, and for the moment let's assume that's true. That won't happen if the owners are fixated upon their leverage as opposed to making a deal.

Listening to Burke tonight I swung a little bit towards the players for the first time.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
Vast Ant Dioi said:
Yeah, but you know what? It's seeming more and more that leverage is the only thing the owners really give a damn about, as opposed to getting a system that works and playing hockey. They seem content with their unassailable position.

Well guys, it's great that you CAN cancel the season and blow the league up. But why? Is that really better? Burke seems convinced you can get a system that works for both sides, and for the moment let's assume that's true. That won't happen if the owners are fixated upon their leverage as opposed to making a deal.

Listening to Burke tonight I swung a little bit towards the players for the first time.
i agree .. why is "manouvering" paramount to "solving".

dr

NJD Jester

Nov 14, 2003
DC
www.njdevilsbook.com
DR said:
how will they fill rosters with NHL calibre players, consider labour law wont allow immigrant replacment workers during a strike ?

dr

First of all, it's not a strike.

Second of all, NHL calibre players are anyone the NHL wants to put on its rosters. It'll still be hockey...just not with the elite players that'll be on the sidelines.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Vast Ant Dioi said:

Status quo, is what I got out of it. Neither side is prepared to even consider options based on the other sides wishes.

Round and round we go, when the NHL starts nobody knows.

Brent Burns Beard