Brian Burke on CKNW 980 Re: Lockout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
The Macho Man said:
You know it has me thinking... If it's true that at the end of every week people at the discussions estimate "another 2 weeks" every time... it makes me wonder how it would EVER have been possible to agree to a CBA last February (or whenever it was) even if the union had taken the final 42.5 cap at the time. If we would've had to go through this crap back then, the seasonb would've never been saved on time.

its not people at the discussions... its the media

the people at the discussions are saying nothing

hockeynut11

Jun 16, 2005
Deebo said:
its not people at the discussions... its the media

the people at the discussions are saying nothing

I agree totally. The people at the discussions are very tight lipped about the status of the talks. All the media is doing is speculating. May be it's better that they (people at the discussions) aren't wasting their time reporting to the media, and actually doing something to end this huge debate called the CBA.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
shakes said:
I think the point is that, no matter how small the amount, they don't want to be paying the owners for parking, especially after all they've conceded. Petty yes, but I can see their point.

You completely missed the point. They're not paying the owners for parking. They get free parking from the owners.

What they're asking for is to be paid extra by the owners, for when they have to pay a third party for parking.

Whirlwind

Feb 14, 2005
US
So, basically, the dates the media is throwing out are arbitrary with maybe a dash of rumors to support them? :shakehead

Ok, let me go crawl back into my hockeyless hovel and I will see guys around Sept. Nothing is going to happen till the threat of not starting the season on time comes closer. :cry:

Although, I hope I am wrong but random dates in July are not strong evidence to the contrary, even if they get the parking situation figured out. :banghead:

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
What's Burke's status with the NHL's gag order? Now that he's been officially named GM and executive VP of the Ducks he should fall under it. I can't imagine Bettman being happy with his continued commentary on the CBA.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
Buffaloed said:
What's Burke's status with the NHL's gag order? Now that he's been officially named GM and executive VP of the Ducks he should fall under it. I can't imagine Bettman being happy with his continued commentary on the CBA.

I was under the impression the gag order was dropped, or at least isn't enforced because theres a lot of talk from GMs these days

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
go kim johnsson said:
You are certainly in the minority and if it costs you $107 a month you better have an awsome paying job

Not in the minority at all. Not a single employee in my firm has their parking paid. Not a single employee in my former firm, which takes up two floors of a large downtown building, has their parking paid. It's not the exception in downtown businesses, it's the norm. You not only have to pay it yourself, you have to *find* it yourself. We have some folks who park up to 8-10 blocks away because those were the only lots they could find.

Job's not "awesome" paying, but it's not bad. I'd sure prefer that $107 in my pocket, tho.

Scheme

Feb 14, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
You are certainly in the minority and if it costs you $107 a month you better have an awsome paying job

Way to throw that blanket statement out there. :handclap: Yeah really, downtown/metropolitan parking for $107/month? That's unbelievable!

Seriously, if you don't have an "awsome paying job" which lets you afford $107/month, you've got other problems to worry about before parking.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
Whirlwind said:
Can someone tell me why July 1st and July 15th are being thrown around as deadlines? Is it because of the free agency situations? To me... the deadlines seem kinda of arbitrary, if canceling the season and losing sponsorship did not prompt an agreement... why would free agency?:dunno:
It seems like I am missing something. Someone please clarify.
I actually went back and listened to the Burke interview (the final installment, by the way, of "It's Your Quarter" according to Dan Russell), and I think Burke might have alluded to something that addresses your (very reasonable) question. These dates lately have all seemed pretty arbitrary, but at one point, Burke, while admitting that it's impossible to know for sure whether this will be settled on July 1st, a week later, two weeks later, or what have you, did single out July 15th as being somewhat significant. He described that date as being the outside date by which the agreement would have to be reached in order to start the season on time (because of everything that must happen prior to the regular season... offseason activities, traing camp preparations, etc.). By "on time" he meant the usual first week of October. He indicated that, as a result, there would be significantly more pressure to complete the deal by the 15th.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
PecaFan said:
It's not BS at all. Burke said the players park for free at most arenas, since they're controlled by the team. But at some, the arena and parking are independent, and the players have to pay for those.

So we're talking about some small percentage of games. For a few, every home game, maybe 50 or 60 total games a year. For the majority, probably around 10 to 20 games a year. So you've got guys making millions, demanding to be paid a few hundred dollars a year extra.

This is equivalent to an average person asking for $12 a year, to cover his coffee purchasing.

I think the point is that most of the players don't have to pay so why should a select few teams have to pay to park at arena for games. I wonder do they also have to pay to park when they practice since there are teams that practice and play in the same arena.

Although it may only be the equivilant of asking for $12 it's also the equivilant of asking for that same $12 a month because the guy in the next cube to you is getting that $12.

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
What are the odds that Chicago AND/OR Boston are among those franchises. I wouldn't be surprised if Wirtz charges $200,000 for parking. ;)

As for wanting parking paid. I don't think that it is unreasonable. The players pretty much lose on everything else, so things like this should be easy give-ins for the owners....especially if it is only a few teams who don't do it already.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Icey said:
I think the point is that most of the players don't have to pay so why should a select few teams have to pay to park at arena for games.

Because they live in different cities. Some guys get an ocean view when they drive to work. Maybe the players should demand ocean views for all.

Basically, the union was complaining because many of their members got a freebie. "It's not fair that some get the freebie, and others don't". "OK, then we'll eliminate the freebie then. Everyone has to pay for parking." That'd been my reaction if the union brought this up.

I can just see the NHLPA guys at the Labour Day Union Gettogethers. This union fought a plant shutdown, another union fought against benefit cutbacks for black lung victims, another one prevented outsourcing of hundreds of jobs. "Hey Trevor, tell us about your biggest victory?"

"I tell ya man, it was horrible! Why, a good 10% of our members actually had to pay for parking! Sure, most of us got it for free, but that's hundreds of dollars a year in parking for some. And when you're on a fixed income of a million dollars a year, you know how important it is to count every $100 bill."

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
PecaFan said:
Because they live in different cities. Some guys get an ocean view when they drive to work. Maybe the players should demand ocean views for all.

Basically, the union was complaining because many of their members got a freebie. "It's not fair that some get the freebie, and others don't". "OK, then we'll eliminate the freebie then. Everyone has to pay for parking." That'd been my reaction if the union brought this up.

I can just see the NHLPA guys at the Labour Day Union Gettogethers. This union fought a plant shutdown, another union fought against benefit cutbacks for black lung victims, another one prevented outsourcing of hundreds of jobs. "Hey Trevor, tell us about your biggest victory?"

"I tell ya man, it was horrible! Why, a good 10% of our members actually had to pay for parking! Sure, most of us got it for free, but that's hundreds of dollars a year in parking for some. And when you're on a fixed income of a million dollars a year, you know how important it is to count every $100 bill."

And then what would you do for arenas that have FREE parking such as Phoenix, make then pay just because everyone else does. But if MOST arenas don't charge the players to park, why should a few be able to.

Problem is you hate the players so much at this point, as obvious by your dozens and dozens of anti-player posts, you want to do anything and everything that screws them, instead of realizes these two sides need to somehow work together to be partners to help this league and the game. And if the owners are such tighwads that they can't fork over parking for their players, then perhaps they shouldn't be NHL owners. Screwing the players at every opportunity you get isn't going to make the league flourish with a PARTNERSHIP with their playes.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Icey said:
And then what would you do for arenas that have FREE parking such as Phoenix, make then pay just because everyone else does. But if MOST arenas don't charge the players to park, why should a few be able to.

Problem is you hate the players so much at this point, as obvious by your dozens and dozens of anti-player posts, you want to do anything and everything that screws them, instead of realizes these two sides need to somehow work together to be partners to help this league and the game. And if the owners are such tighwads that they can't fork over parking for their players, then perhaps they shouldn't be NHL owners. Screwing the players at every opportunity you get isn't going to make the league flourish with a PARTNERSHIP with their playes.

:biglaugh:

Seriously, there are easily a half dozen guys in this thread talking about how they and every person in their companies have to pay for parking, and yet some poster has a laugh at the fact a small percentage of players who make an average of over a million dollars a year is now an "issue" with the PA, and you are offended?

This is "screwing the players"?

The thing everyone should keep in mind is that when this is all said and done, the players are still going to be paid fantastic amounts of money... it's just that it will be comensurate to how much revenue the league generates. All you people who think the players are getting "screwed" are incapable of accurately assessing the reality of an NHL player.

Are they getting less than they did during the last CBA? Yes.

Are they getting a higher percentage of revenues than any other sporting league in North America, and likely the world? Yes.

So, what the **** are you complaining about? :confused:

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
For what it's worth, if you're a faculty member at my school, you get your parking paid for. Students, however, have no such provisions and pay $200 a year to park. It really all depends on where you work.

I don't mind players requesting free parking, really. For all the players, figure 23 cars a game. For owners who own the parking, comp it. For teams who contract out with the parking, tell the parking commission to take it out of ceach game. For teams in which it's seperate. For teams that don't own parking, it's a per diem of $345 a game (with $15 parking). That's $14,145 a year over 41 home games.

That amount is fairly negligable when you're a billionaire. And heck, pay for it as part of the revenue sharing if you don't want it to come out of the owners pocket.

Are they getting a higher percentage of revenues than any other sporting league in North America, and likely the world? Yes.
Okay, I take issue with this. On the surface you're correct, but the NBA by far has the highest player-to-percentage ratio.

Figure... 55 percent among 23 players, so that's 2.39 percent of the revenue to the players. Basketball was 48 percent among 12 players (4 percent each) and it's going to 52 percent among 12 players (4.33 percent per player).

If you're going to make sweeping generalizations, please avoid confusing rhetoric to make your points. Trust me, there's plenty of better ways to say what you're trying to say.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
quat said:
:biglaugh:

Seriously, there are easily a half dozen guys in this thread talking about how they and every person in their companies have to pay for parking, and yet some poster has a laugh at the fact a small percentage of players who make an average of over a million dollars a year is now an "issue" with the PA, and you are offended?

This is "screwing the players"?

The thing everyone should keep in mind is that when this is all said and done, the players are still going to be paid fantastic amounts of money... it's just that it will be comensurate to how much revenue the league generates. All you people who think the players are getting "screwed" are incapable of accurately assessing the reality of an NHL player.

Are they getting less than they did during the last CBA? Yes.

So, what the **** are you complaining about? :confused:

Where exactly did I say I was offended. I am not offended and personally I don't care if their parking is paid for or not because at the end of the day it doesn't affect my life one bit. I don't pay for my parking nor do I know anyone who does. But when I need to go visit a client account and have to pay for parking, my company re-imburses me. It's the cost of doing businesses.

But most just want the owners to win on every issue so you can say the players lost. And yet your the same bunch who complained earlier about the high price of tickets, concessions and PARKING! I see nothing wrong with the players asking for their parking to be paid for.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Different..

Icey said:
Where exactly did I say I was offended. I am not offended and personally I don't care if their parking is paid for or not because at the end of the day it doesn't affect my life one bit. I don't pay for my parking nor do I know anyone who does. But when I need to go visit a client account and have to pay for parking, my company re-imburses me. It's the cost of doing businesses.

Paying for parking only applies to the home team players because the road team arrives via bus, and so the team will take care of that stuff.

The example you gave just doesn't compare. You're leaving the office to do something for work and so, the company should pay the costs. When players are on the road, the team covers the costs.

A lot of working people have to pay for parking, it just depends on the location of your company. So, when the players play in their home rink, then if some have to pay for parking, it can't really be that big of a deal can it?

4 preseason games, 41 regular season games, plus at most 16 playoff games. 61 games @ $15 per game isn't even a grand, only $900 a year. For 23 players, that's 22 grand a year. Big deal...

Why would they spend a couple of hours discussing something that is only going to amount to (if we were to say 1/3 of the teams charge for parking) less than $250 grand for an industry that was worth 2 billion dollars?

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Icey said:

But most just want the owners to win on every issue so you can say the players lost. And yet your the same bunch who complained earlier about the high price of tickets, concessions and PARKING! I see nothing wrong with the players asking for their parking to be paid for.

You "sounded" offended in your post. Rereading your post again, it still seems as though you are. :dunno:

Well, sorry... no. I am glad the players now seem to have a better idea of what is going on in their work place. I have no problem with players trying to negotiate what ever they think they can get... but saying the Owners are "screwing" the players just because they are doing the same thing is silly.

I want a healthy competitive league. If the tickets are too expensive for me, then I won't go to games. This is entertainment after all, not food and shelter.

I also believe that any parking charges used for your job can be written off as an expence against income earned.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
quat said:
I also believe that any parking charges used for your job can be written off as an expence against income earned.

Nope. If the parking charges are part of doing business (ie visiting a client) they may be reimbursed by the employer or treated as a business expense if self employed. If you are an employee, you may NOT take a deduction for the cost of parking at your place of employment - just like you cannot take deductions for other commuting costs, gas, mileage, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad