Brian Burke on CKNW 980 Re: Lockout

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
After conceeding to linkage, the players deserve to have everything paid for them...ok well maybe not

I can't wait til June 28 when everyone says that July 1 was premature, and two more weeks is needed...then on July 13 they will say August 1 sounds right...then on July 29 they will say September 1 sounds nice...ridiculous

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Both sides are complete Idiots. Now its July 15th, then July 15th will be here and the media will say another 2 weeks. All of sudden NHL will state the season will be delayed but please buy season tickets and spend all of your money.

Oh please............ :madfire:

Spungo*

nyrmessier011 said:
I can't wait til June 28 when everyone says that July 1 was premature, and two more weeks is needed...then on July 13 they will say August 1 sounds right...then on July 29 they will say September 1 sounds nice...ridiculous

You don't have to wait for June 28, everyone is saying that now. There was time when June 15 was the so-called deal date. Then it got pushed to July 1, and now its July 15. It's all a bunch of garbage. This deal won't get signed untill late August or September at the VERY earliest with a January start to the season being a realistic goal. Bank on that. Quit listening to these idiot reporters who have been wrong on every single thing since day one.

chiavsfan

Hey spungo, just curious, if players are saying the deal is done, and gm's and owners (like Mario) say it's done. Why is it so hard to believe it's just about done?

In the last two days we have had Buffalo players saying they were told two weeks ago to start getting in shape, and that the CBA is 90% done

Then Jeremy Roenick says the "deal is done"

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Spungo said:
You don't have to wait for June 28, everyone is saying that now. There was time when June 15 was the so-called deal date. Then it got pushed to July 1, and now its July 15. It's all a bunch of garbage. This deal won't get signed untill late August or September at the VERY earliest with a January start to the season being a realistic goal. Bank on that. Quit listening to these idiot reporters who have been wrong on every single thing since day one.

i thought you said you weren't going to post until july 15, to come back and rub it in our faces? i liked that arrangement, let's stick to it.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Spungo said:
Luckily for us, you've been here all along to set the record straight.

Bank on it? Why?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Boltsfan2029 said:
Me - $107 a month. And that's one of the cheaper, open lots. If I want to actually get into covered parking in our building, up that to $130.

You are certainly in the minority and if it costs you $107 a month you better have an awsome paying job

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
The parking thing that Burke mentioned is total BS. I know where the Flames park and it is a great spot.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
The players could always use their awesome "per diem" to pay for that. I won't really be crying about this if they don't get it. On the other side, if I was the owners, I wouldn't really bother about the thousand dollars (max) per game lost on this if I got the salary cap and everything else I wanted.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
Spungo said:
Just answer one question please.

What makes you more credible than the idiot reporters?

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
go kim johnsson said:
You are certainly in the minority and if it costs you $107 a month you better have an awsome paying job

Why? That's less than $4 a day. In some major centers you are looking at a lot more than that. i know in Winnipeg for example if you need to park in a lot, you are looking at $2 an hour. That's $16 for an 8 hour work day. I'd take $4 in a heart beat.

Of course, I'd take the bus before paying $16 either, but that's besides the point :D

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
flambers said:
The parking thing that Burke mentioned is total BS. I know where the Flames park and it is a great spot.

It's not BS at all. Burke said the players park for free at most arenas, since they're controlled by the team. But at some, the arena and parking are independent, and the players have to pay for those.

So we're talking about some small percentage of games. For a few, every home game, maybe 50 or 60 total games a year. For the majority, probably around 10 to 20 games a year. So you've got guys making millions, demanding to be paid a few hundred dollars a year extra.

This is equivalent to an average person asking for $12 a year, to cover his coffee purchasing.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
flambers said:
Both sides are complete Idiots. Now its July 15th, then July 15th will be here and the media will say another 2 weeks. All of sudden NHL will state the season will be delayed but please buy season tickets and spend all of your money.

Oh please............ :madfire:

You know it has me thinking... If it's true that at the end of every week people at the discussions estimate "another 2 weeks" every time... it makes me wonder how it would EVER have been possible to agree to a CBA last February (or whenever it was) even if the union had taken the final 42.5 cap at the time. If we would've had to go through this crap back then, the seasonb would've never been saved on time.

mackdogs*

go kim johnsson said:
Guess again. Everyone who drives where I work pays at least that much a month (me included :cry: ). In fact the parking is so expensive most people take public transit instead (and tough out an enormous commute). What was your point?

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I think the point is that, no matter how small the amount, they don't want to be paying the owners for parking, especially after all they've conceded. Petty yes, but I can see their point.

hockeynut11

Jun 16, 2005
Burke acts like he knows it all. He's not involved in the negotiations, and he's not a person that is being informed of the status of the talks. It looks like they're keeping everything tight lipped. From what I've heard, talks are going very well, and we're seeing indications that this is over. Administrative business (GM hiring, firing, coach hiring, firing, players saying that the deal is done, and many more) There's too much smoke and silence for this not to be over. Usually when there is extreme silence, something comes out of it. I think no little interviews after each meeting is good. They're just meeting until a deal is complete. I think a deal is done. Lawyers are just looking it over. Leave it to them to drag it out. I still stick to July 1st or early next week. I think they're really looking for the July 1st date so that there's not too much trouble with contract negotiations. Take everything you hear in the media with a grain of salt. I think the media is just a pawn for anyone would wants to put out negative energy (agents, GMs who don't like what the new CBA is going to bring). Parking is a joke, if that is what is being talked about right now. I think that means that little details are all that is left.

Has Burke been right anytime during this lockout? Bob Mckenzie hasn't said that anything is going wrong. And I like his accuracy during this whole thing, he doesn't favor one side.

Hockey is coming......I can feel it.

OV

Obstructed View
Sep 23, 2003
Niagara Falls
chiavsfan said:
I would hate to be a millionaire and pay 14 dollars for parking at an away stadium. Here is an idea, car-pool to the game, and then you wont have to pay as much. The absolute idiocy of the NHL...MY GOODNESS!!!

Seriously, if they are indeed talking about this kind of garbage, then it's just the lawyers wasting time. And THAT is a joke

Pretty unlikely visiting players would be paying to park at the "away" stadium. They usually climb onto a bus at the airport, which delivers them and their equipment to the game. They can also taxi over from their hotels. Either way............

Large_Farva*

Spungo said:
When are people going to realize that this thing isn't getting done untill September or October at the earliest?

How many times can you slack jawed yokels fall for the "just 2 more weeks" bulljive? You all must be the same people who subscribe to the Eklund blog.

When are you going to realize that you have no inside sources and you do not know more than Players, GM's, etc..

Whirlwind

Feb 14, 2005
US
Can someone tell me why July 1st and July 15th are being thrown around as deadlines? Is it because of the free agency situations? To me... the deadlines seem kinda of arbitrary, if canceling the season and losing sponsorship did not prompt an agreement... why would free agency?:dunno:
It seems like I am missing something. Someone please clarify.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Can someone tell me why July 1st and July 15th are being thrown around as deadlines?

they're nice, clearly defined numbers? :dunno:

who wants to say "i think it will be done on...july 7th!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->